Confusion Around Miracast with WP8.1 and Cyan

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
So there was plenty of back and forth about Miracast support in WP8.1 with Joe Belfiore stating that only 1520 and 930 will support Miracast. Then there was some discussions that denied that statement stating Snapdragon 800 devices will support Miracast.

Does anyone know for sure? I don't think the 630 supports it because it run on Snapdragon 400.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Thinks Nokia said it was due to hardware limitation it wasn't supported on "old" dual core wp8 phones like the 925...

I hope to find a experia V with android 4.2 to see if they are right (since it uses the same soc).

Anyway tried to connect the 630 with my iPazz and it didn't work , but it works fine with my galaxy s3.

It just keeps saying connecting but nothing happens. Since the same happens with my Lenovo t420 (widi) laptop it could be the iPazz doesn't support the newer Miracast implementation? Or the 630 doesn't support the older ones....

The YouTube video shows it takes a few seconds to transfer the screen to the tv, making it useless for gaming. the high end WP is probably faster , since my sgs3 is faster than the 630 on you tube, so it might have something to do with RAM or CPU speed (the snapdragon 400 is based on cortex a7 low power cores and 800 and exynos quad on high performance cortex a9)

Sent from my Lumia 925 wp8.1 from Tapatalk

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Miracast is still in its infancy. A lot of Miracast adapters have compatibility problems. The only thing I will trust is NetGear PTV-3000.

There will always be delays displaying on Miracast screen due to the way how Miracast works. It has nothing to do with the processor speed. It is determined by the GPU hardware (Miracast works by compress the entire screen buffer into H.264 video and send them over Wi-Fi direct to the adapter). It is not meant for interactive play. Even on much more powerful desktop PC, it will show noticeable delay.

For OP, Miracast indeed requires chipset level support. On Win8.1, it also requires proper driver support by the phone makers.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
For OP, Miracast indeed requires chipset level support. On Win8.1, it also requires proper driver support by the phone makers.

I understand. So now assuming the driver will be sorted with cyan (generalizing here since Nokia is 90% of WP market for now) is the chipset on the Lumia 920, 925, 1020 supported?

Any comparable phone out there on Android that can be used for comparison?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyway tried to connect the 630 with my iPazz and it didn't work , but it works fine with my galaxy s3.

It just keeps saying connecting but nothing happens. Since the same happens with my Lenovo t420 (widi) laptop it could be the iPazz doesn't support the newer Miracast implementation? Or the 630 doesn't support the older ones....
I'm not familiar with the iPazz, but I read somewhere that you need to make sure that the driver in the receiver is up to date. That conversation was relevant to surface and Netgear receive, but it might be relevant in your case.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The chipset used in 920 is quite old. It is used by U.S. version of HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3. I know my One X does not have Miracast feature but my Samsung GS3 does support it.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The chipset used in 920 is quite old. It is used by U.S. version of HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3. I know my One X does not have Miracast feature but my Samsung GS3 does support it.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

So if GS3 can support it, there's a chance the 925 would to?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's the question only Microsoft knows. Based on the conflicting messages they sent out, they probably don't want to support anything other than 1520 and 930 but still debating.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
That's the question only Microsoft knows. Based on the conflicting messages they sent out, they probably don't want to support anything other than 1520 and 930 but still debating.

Thanks for all your answers. I'll be bummed to know they could support it, but didn't. MS/Nokia have been VERY good with backward compatibility, per se, allowing older devices and to get the OS updates and so on without limitation.

I just convinced my wife to "Upgrade" from GS3 to 925. It would really suck if the S3 supports Miracast but not both our 925s. I already invested in PTV-3000 that I can use with my Surface Pro, but I can't justify replacing Chromecast since I don't have movies to stream (mainly YouTube/Netflix). I got the PTV-3000 so I can use my phone since it's not supported by Chromecast. Oh well. We'll see.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
is that you tube video mirroring to a tv or to a pc? is miracast even on the icon or 1520 be able to mirror on a regular hdtv ?

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
It has been confirmed that the 1520, Icon and 930 will have Miracast Capabilities

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...cast-support-1520-icon-930-a.html#post2441329

Yes, it will plug into HDMI and use USB port on the TV for power to the dongle.

Yes, it will require a Miracast Dongle.

See this,,, http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/247236-miracast-awesome-surface-2-a.html

Still have hope it will be supported for 925/1020 despite Daniel Rubino's article today. My hopes are high that Microsoft and Nokia will do the right thing and put the drivers out there. Maybe I'm biased and will be disappointed...

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Miracast requires a compatible WiFi chipset, it is actually the WiFi chipset that is the limiting factor, but because all phones use "System on a Chip" processors, in effect you need the right processor.

Miracast as a protocol is also a mess, because parts of it are optional that should be mandatory. So this might be why MS only supports Snapdragon 400/800 devices, they add an "optional" component that the MS Miracast driver relies on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte