What is the purpose of Windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Even with all the improvements in 8.1, I still feel that Windows phone doesn't have an 'identity', what do you guys think it's identity is?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, if Android's is "widgets" and "customization", and iOS's is "apps" and "ease of use", then Windows Phone's would be "consistency" and "Live Tiles".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
WP provides an alternative. It doesn't need an identity. What it does need is more users to avoid going down in flames a la webOS and Symbian.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Fluid, nice looking OS, easy using, nice hardvare, and of course, bringing colors back to technology. I missed that on Android. And with those live tiles, it looks, well, live! :)

Jeroenvk94

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Slick design, easy to use, secure, personal, colorfull.
Windows Phone provides high-end phones with awesome specs and hardware for a reasonable price.
Plus we shouldn't forget the camera quality in the Lumia series

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Slick design, easy to use, secure, personal, colorfull.
Windows Phone provides high-end phones with awesome specs and hardware for a reasonable price.
Plus we shouldn't forget the camera quality in the Lumia series

MS has waited too long to update their OS. Right now, their flagship is the Icon and it's only available on Verizon with no date for arrival on the other carriers. If you want a 1020, it's only available on ATT. If you want an iPhone 5S or any flagship Android (GS5, HTC One M8, etc) because you really like your friend "fill in the blank" then it's just a question of which carrier you use (and in fact the flagship iOS and Android devices are now pushing down to prepaid). The camera's on Android are constantly improving and in most cases "are good enough". As for the low end MS is losing the edge as they fail to update the Lumia 520/521 (which by the way are not available on Verizon or Sprint - over 150 million+ potential customers) and Motorola puts out its Moto G (720P, 1 GB RAM, latest Android OS) for as little as $99 on Verizon prepaid, and its Moto E (960x540 res, 1 GB RAM and latest Android OS) @ $129 unlocked. MS still doesn't move fast enough for the mobile market in reacting to its competitors. As for the awesome specs/hardware it is almost a year late with Snapdragon 800 and 1080 P (and for those who say "specs don't matter" on Windows Phone there are things that specs matter for with respect to things like speed of autofocus, shot to shot time because of processing by the CPU, on board video editing, and additional RAM for all those same things and others like multitasking). While I'm sure you'll say I'm nitpicking my Lumia 521 is slow to resume from sleep and when switching apps because of the 512 MB of RAM. The last point is similar to the old "Why don't you just switch to a Mac from the PC" argument from the mid to late 90s where once you get used to an OS switching to a new OS takes time and energy. As much as I loved WebOS (which still has some advantages over all three - iOS, Android and WP) it took some time to get up to speed on Android and when I bought the Lumia it took time to find Apps to do things I did on Android and get the WP set up so it does what I want it to. Except for a very few people who will switch "to try something new" most people want their phone to work and when they buy a new one they want it to be better than their old one and be good enough to last for 2 years or more.

MrRager22

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Just something new. I was getting sick of the iRobots and Galaxy Droids. I just switched from Android and was using a Motorola RAZR. I had only problems with that phone. Apps would crash, lots of lag, and even the hardware (battery) was giving me problems. Windows Phone offers a beautiful UI and the start screen has lots of personality. I like being different and bucking trends. Plus we all stand to benefit from a third major mobile OS.

davebolton

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I think you have a point. I went back and looked at WP 7.5 and Zune the other day. When I opened Zune, for example, my reaction was "Wow!". Much has been written about how WP is moving closer to Android and iOS. If I had to answer your question about WP7.5 it would be Live Tiles and Hubs. Now, WP8.1 is more competitive with those other platforms. But the difference seems less obvious to me.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I think you have a point. I went back and looked at WP 7.5 and Zune the other day. When I opened Zune, for example, my reaction was "Wow!". Much has been written about how WP is moving closer to Android and iOS. If I had to answer your question about WP7.5 it would be Live Tiles and Hubs. Now, WP8.1 is more competitive with those other platforms. But the difference seems less obvious to me.
Thanks, I see now. Can someone close this thread please?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I think it does have an identity. It's Microsoft's smartphone platform.

The OS itself is different enough from iOS and Android that it can stand alone. I really like the design and styling of the OS and apps - they seem more seamless and integrated than any other mobile OS. I think subtle touches like animations and use of fonts really set it apart. There are also apps that stand out. The Nokia apps come to mind.

On the hardware side of things, Nokia really stands out. If you want a smartphone with the best possible camera, get a Nokia. They also have a distinct style and look to them that makes people take a second look when they see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium