Windows Phone around the world..

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Yesterday I had some free time, so I went shopping with my girlfriend and as you can imagine, I tried to stay away from her as much as possible :)) So, I decided to visit several phone shops and see how they promote Windows Phone devices - I was a customer, looking for nice Lumia without any knowledge of WP. Just to mention, I live in The Netherlands.
I am surprised how persistent the shop assistants are to convince me that Windows Phone is not worth the money, so I should buy a Galaxy or an iPhone. Not to mention that when I asked about a particular Lumia model, all they say is "Yea, they are somewhere there at the end. Go take a look and when u come back I can offer you something better". In every store they even don't want to help you when they see that you want a Windows Phone device. Some of the Lumia models were even in wrong places.. they didn't know the difference between different models.
Another thing - assistants even don't know that there would be a WP 8.1 with all the new features. Even, one guy really tried to convince me that compared to a Galaxy, WP doesn't have a Notification Center, Wallpapers and integration with most popular apps. I told him that maybe there might be in the next few months, but he refused to accept my opinion.. Almost none of the stores had a WP device turned ON, but using these stickers on the display.
Do you have the same experience in your country with WP devices in stores?
I can admit that even 4% market share are too much with that sort of promotion.
With 8.1, MS should really think about how the OS is being presented in stores, because the WP 8.1 is great and I believe much better and beautiful than any iPhone or Android..
What do you think about it?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone across the world..

This is a well known problem. It's been around ever since WP7.

In some countries bonuses are paid to store reps who sell a certain amount of iOS devices, payed for by Apple. Other times store reps will just let their biases shine through, instead of attempting to determine what would actually be best for the customer. A lot of times store reps just don't know anything about WP devices, are understandably uncomfortable selling devices they aren't familiar with, but have no interest in learning anything about it either.

Same old, same old...

Until MS finds a way to make WP a lot more desirable to the masses, this won't change.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site

That's because it's easier to sell something that everyone knows. Even here in the Philippines, people don't prefer Windows Phones, and I actually had a hard time buying a Lumia 1520. Not all stores sell Lumias (their reason is that not too many people look for it, so far the most common one is the 520), and to make it harder, I'm looking for the 1520. Whenever I ask the shop attendant, they end up trying to convince me to buy an Android phone that has the same price as the one I'm looking for. For those stores with test units, not a single Lumia is on display for testing, except for the Nokia shop.

People tend to stick on one kind of phone they are familiar to. Most people here use Android because they are easy to use, even if some of them crash often. Some prefer iOS even if they cost a lot. WP is reliable, but limitations in customization and apps hinders its popularity.

MS has to do something that will really catch people's attention so they can be taken away from Android and iOS. So far, whenever I show off my phone, the only thing that seems to impress people is Cortana.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's because it's easier to sell something that everyone knows. Even here in the Philippines, people don't prefer Windows Phones, and I actually had a hard time buying a Lumia 1520. Not all stores sell Lumias (their reason is that not too many people look for it, so far the most common one is the 520), and to make it harder, I'm looking for the 1520. Whenever I ask the shop attendant, they end up trying to convince me to buy an Android phone that has the same price as the one I'm looking for. For those stores with test units, not a single Lumia is on display for testing, except for the Nokia shop.

People tend to stick on one kind of phone they are familiar to. Most people here use Android because they are easy to use, even if some of them crash often. Some prefer iOS even if they cost a lot. WP is reliable, but limitations in customization and apps hinders its popularity.

MS has to do something that will really catch people's attention so they can be taken away from Android and iOS. So far, whenever I show off my phone, the only thing that seems to impress people is Cortana.
While that was the case in a lot of shops that I went to, they certainly didn't try to push other phones on me. It was probably because I made it clear that I was intent on buying the 630. Who knows?

But, yes, you're mostly correct. When I finally got the opportunity to buy myself a 630, I only found two shops with them in stock.
And, most of the Nokia phones they displayed were either the X line or basic/feature phones. It's really a problem on Nokia, or should I say Microsoft Mobile, advertising.

Really, it's a matter of awareness. When people think of Windows, they think of XP and the BSODs, the instability, viruses and the like.

In case I need to make it clear, I live in the Philippines. It's tiring to see those crappy no-name brand Android phones over and over again, day after day. (No offense to Android, just the crappy OEMs and unscrupulous resellers who just want to milk the Android name.)

Chee Hong

May 17, 2014
Visit site

Totally agree. Same here in Penang, Malaysia. 90% of the shops are promoting Samsung Galaxy and Apple iPhone. Only in Nokia Store, I can find Lumia devices. WP8 got many advantages too like no lagging and yes good camera. But still many are promoting lagging Samsung and expensive iPhone here.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I'm happy to say that's not the case (atleast in this city where I live) in Serbia.

I went trough a few shops just looking at the phones (even though I regularly buy phones from internet websites - they are WAY cheaper), and yeah, they usually try to hook you onto some Galaxy, but if they see you don't give a c* about it, they just get used to it and tell you about what you're interested in.

Lumia availability ain't bad here, most stores have all models except the 1520 which is quite rare (ofc, not to mention the newest 630 and 930). IDK, maybe in some major cities there are, but here - no.

Carriers also do not have a wide assortment of WP devices, a few low-end to mid-end devices. Mostly 520s and 920s. However things do change, a few of them now also have the L1020.
Just checked, mt:s has the main devices (1520, 1320, 1020, 925, 920 along with the HTC 8X), no L520 though;
Telenor's the same - no 520, however there are a few others like L720 but no 8X.
And VIP Mobile doesn't have the 1020, 1320 and 1520 or 8X, however there are 520s.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site

In case I need to make it clear, I live in the Philippines. It's tiring to see those crappy no-name brand Android phones over and over again, day after day. (No offense to Android, just the crappy OEMs and unscrupulous resellers who just want to milk the Android name.)

I'm also tired of seeing those cheap android phones everywhere (especially that Gionee one, it looks like a 1520 and some idi*t confused my phone with that one). Maybe that's because of the people around. Most people can't afford expensive phones so they go with cheap smartphones.

Techbugz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Totally agree. Same here in Penang, Malaysia. 90% of the shops are promoting Samsung Galaxy and Apple iPhone. Only in Nokia Store, I can find Lumia devices. WP8 got many advantages too like no lagging and yes good camera. But still many are promoting lagging Samsung and expensive iPhone here.

yes in here petaling jaya, Malaysia also same..all shop they prefer to sell android..i buy my Lumia 1020 at Nokia shop.. i went a lot of shop searching for hard case or casing for my Lumia but they don't sell it..i have to Buy from ebay...

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

This is too bad for all of us, because with such attitude towards WP devices we all suffer from lack of applications in the store.. Developers cannot justify their investment into an app for a OS with less than 5% market share. I truly believe that it is not that Android or iOS is better than WP, but people just cannot get into touch with such device often enough. Even when you go to buy one, it would be a surprise if you find turned ON device..

Dennis Wackendorff

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

No problems in Germany. All devices are available. Older models, newer models. But I agree that the most of the clerks try to sell Apple or Samsung devices because of the extra money they get.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

yes in here petaling jaya, Malaysia also same..all shop they prefer to sell android..i buy my Lumia 1020 at Nokia shop.. i went a lot of shop searching for hard case or casing for my Lumia but they don't sell it..i have to Buy from ebay...

In Tawau, you'll be very hard press to find Lumia being sold. About half a year back it seems like WP was making headway but it quiet down. None of the big shops will have a 1320 or a 1520. I'll be even surprised to find a X or a XL. Over in Kota Kinabalu, where I visit frequently, its not as dire, but if you walk around, the malls are being flooded by android - Lenovo is very aggressive marketed.

But things aren't all that gloomy, I saw the Msft sales rep on a TV morning magazine show, introducing the dual sim 630....

latunza

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I live in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA and this whole area is either 85% iPhone, %10% Galaxy, %5 other Android. When I went to the AT&T store they did have a nice display with the phones powered on. The majority hovered over the iPhone and some over the Galaxy. When I told the sales rep. I was interested in a Lumia 1020 she kept trying to convince me to go with an Android. I was coming from a Galaxy S2 and was tired of android. She was persistent in telling me WP sucked and that within a few months I would want to jump ships and that the store had only ever sold 1 Lumia 1020, while the iPhone 5s was sold out for weeks.

This is the issue in America, since iPhone are cheap with phone contracts everyone has an iPhone. Its hard to convince them to try others. People started buying Samsung when the Galaxy S3 hit big, but a lot just went back to iPhone after their contracts were up. I've only ever seen 3 other Windows Phone out in the wild. People do get impressed by my camera and smooth OS, but it doesn't make a difference when all your friends are on iPhone. Its like the Playstation vs xBox. Here in the states everyone uses xBox so you have to conform to that.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
WP will never be huge, and most thing will never change. But I started not giving a ****.
I have a good phone, I know it suits me well, it's the others that are missing out.
Plus it works out just great to stand out. I'm THE BOSS when I pull out my 6 inch WP, people think I'm an alien.
Waiting for Jolla to release a better device and I'm most probably getting that also, I bet I'll be one of 10 people that will have it in the whole country. :D

niexus

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So i went to some shops. All Lumias availible in most cases (htc 8s also, hard to find 8x). In some Nokia has even it's stand (so is Samsung) with Lumias and Xs. There's always Nokia Guy who knows WP pretty well and is equipped with some Lumia (met ones with 625 and 925) and those Cloud headphones. SO in stores WP, Lumia line especially is kind of well presented. 3 of 4 main mobile operators are also WP friendly advertising WP (630 and 1520 now; 625, 925, 8s before). And yeah one of them ops (not mine sadly) made this awesome contest where you can win some cool WP sneakers :D
So you can guess I live in Poland (most WP friendly place on earth? with no Cortana, bing rewards nor even one MS store, shame on you MS).

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I occasionally stroll around shops here in Bandung, Indonesia...
sales reps of well known shops (i.e. Oke, erafone) here are quite knowledgeable about Windows Phone and won't divert you to Android if you already asked about it.

the problem is if you ask common shops: they're reluctant to tell you about Nokia Lumia...
they'll try to divert you to Android with the classic "better because there is BBM" and/or "better because of Android" cause...

heck, even one of those shop told me that Nokia X is better than Nokia Lumia 720 because it has BBM preloaded -_-

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Here in Brazil, they even say that Lumia's don't have Bluetooth and WhatsApp...

This happened about six months ago, at different shops
1) The sales rep said it cant be hotspot for internet sharing.
2) "WP? No we don't stock them. Only people who really are into tech wants WP8. It's for work !! "
3) This was in a big computer shop, they had the full range of Samsung phones, including the Activ S. The rep said it is the very latest technology....

SammyD_L625

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Well here in South Africa it depends on what's new or what the carriers think they can sell more of. For a while the L1520 was thrown in your face left right and centre... then came the Galaxy S5. That enjoyed quite a bit of attention. Gone back to promoting Nokia phablets though. Its the 1320 this time. I guess it stems from the fact that South Africans have always had a love affair with Nokia.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I occasionally stroll around shops here in Bandung, Indonesia...
sales reps of well known shops (i.e. Oke, erafone) here are quite knowledgeable about Windows Phone and won't divert you to Android if you already asked about it.

the problem is if you ask common shops: they're reluctant to tell you about Nokia Lumia...
they'll try to divert you to Android with the classic "better because there is BBM" and/or "better because of Android" cause...

heck, even one of those shop told me that Nokia X is better than Nokia Lumia 720 because it has BBM preloaded -_-

Seriously, who the F uses BBM?
Who in the whole world? You have so many other options. It never even crossed my mind, I haven't ever been even close to seriously thinking about it.

I feel the only people who use it are guys with Blackberries (idk if they are forced to or anything, I have to admit I never saw a BB).

That was a little off-topic but yeah, that's the worst reason someone would recommend a phone, especially Nokia X over some Lumia (which are generally better).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion