After Action Center, are live tiles still equally necessary?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't use wide live tiles (or, in the case of Facebook, any live tiles) for items I keep in the NC. I deserve most live tiles for weather, Cortana, news, calendar, etc. I do get my breaking news toasts in the NC.

What I like the NC for is filtering work emails when I'm on call or to see if a recent message was something important.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Has the Notification Center made Tiles Obsolete?

The tiles look cool, but what's the purpose of them showing all the notifications if you have a notification center at your finger tips that concentrates information more than tiles ever will?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Has the Notification Center made Tiles Obsolete?

I can not see weather info in my notification centre. There comes the beautiful live tiles , I don't have to open apps after apps to check what's new (for instance here I can sneak peek at my local weather without opening the app ).

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

No, because I use the double tap to reveal the lock screen to see if any notifications are there. I then use the notification centre for more detail. Other times I see the toast notification and click on it if it needs immediate attention. Or, use the notification centre if I just miss it.

Then sometimes I am aware of numerous articles from WP Central or Facebook and prefer to click on the tile as this takes me to all of the articles. Then sometimes I just feel like using the tiles for a change, a bit like changing the background in 8.1, it's just nice to change from tome to time.

Maybe, not having live tiles would be the least painful to live without as the lock screen notifications and notifications centre are must haves. Never thought I would say that but it's how I feel now.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

For me it is actually the other way around: My tiles kind of make the notification center somehow obsolete.
I can get more detailed info from the tiles in terms of calendar, my mail accounts as well as texts for example. The center only shows a basic notification. In addition my tiles are always there on the top of the home screen, no need to swipe the center down.

The only times I use the notification center for its actual purpose is when I am busy inside another app, get a notification of any kind and want to check it. But this happens rarely.

So after all for my use the magical center is nothing more than a place for setting shortcuts.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

ok, people getting it WRONG BADLY, tile not only show notification, they also show lots of things, notification center wont ruin what tiles meant to be
eg: people hub - it show all your picture of your contact list
picture hub - show all pictures that you have
facebook - show picture, latest update of your facebook account
the weather channel - show weathers, temperature, wind speed and more
calender app and simple calender - show the date and event that are about to coming
and more...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Just like others have said, they actually complement each other. In fact, I'll tell you something that I feel supports this statement: the combo of the lock screen + glance and the live tiles.

The lock screen is capable of displaying more information than a single live tile can hope to share, but watch the live tiles multiply and lock screen quickly becomes a sort of notification system for your live tiles. The fact that the two happily coexist (and the fact that they're connected in many ways) is more than enough reason to enjoy the notification center for what it is.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Live Tiles are part of WP unique user interface and I don't think it's gonna be obsolete ever as MS is putting efforts behind making Live Tiles interactive.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wait, didn't I make this thread? It had a different name though...was it changed?

The thread was merged with another thread debating the same topic. I shortened and adapted the name, hoping it would help posters from both threads find it again.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Live tiles are what make the Windows Phone UI unique and notifications aren't the only things live tiles are for, they also give you a glance at the weather or news, etc.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

David F1

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
MS made a mistake, if they wanted to force out Live tiles, they should have just kept improving them and NOT implement the so-much-overused-pull-down Action Center.

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes.

Because they didn't do what you think they should have done? You didn't explain why you thought that was a mistake. I really am interested in hearing it.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I would say Action Center won't make live tiles unnecessary. Simply because Action Center requires action, live tiles don't. You only need to glance them.

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Live tiles are identity of windows phone OS. I still use live tiles more than notification centre.
Sent from Lumia 925 India using tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12