When will official 8.1/Cyan update be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1

I thought carriers are no more in the picture. If its carrier problem then we wouldn't have got 8.1 so early. Isn't it?

Carriers are the reason the developer preview exists. This "preview" is effectively a way for users to update their phones while Microsoft is still technically complying with whatever arbitrary policy the carriers have on official updates (which is to never release them OTA so they can just sell you new phones with them pre installed).

anon(8151408)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: When is the official release of Windows Phone 8.1 in the UK?

Vanilla 8.1 (sans carrier) will be out in the UK before the end of August.

Sources: Can't reveal, so don't ask!

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1

Its not just up to MSFT. The carriers have to accept the update. I know despite having a 1520, the fact the I'm on AT&T tells me I will be one of the last to get it. That's how it was for Amber and Black.
Here in India updates are independent of carriers. We get it directly from Nokia/MS. Still it hasn't been rolled out here. So yes MS is to blame for having keeping their customers wait even though everything is ready.

I too mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I believe they are waiting for more WP8.1 to get sold out to meet their sales target post which they will give us the update.

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Its not just up to MSFT. The carriers have to accept the update. I know despite having a 1520, the fact the I'm on AT&T tells me I will be one of the last to get it. That's how it was for Amber and Black.

Carriers, carriers, are dead weight, old dinosaurs. Remember that iPhone started updates and still do it regardless of what carrier's want and it worked. Apple took the market. Good OS with fast and free evolution.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
For those that are thinking of ditching WP because you have been waiting for 3 weeks for the update and not got it yet, don't go Android, you will not have the patience to wait for updates there, it could be over a year that's if you even see any updates

We all need patience

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the update but I can wait. Because I know it will be nice for a little while and then it will be ok what next?

But hopefully it's soon. ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Android phones receive almost no updates and have a bigger share.

Good point. Outside of enthusiasts like us, I don't think updates matter. High end Androids do get updates, but they're usually months after Google releases them.

That said, I think that updates for WP are more important than for iOS & Android because of the ground they need to make up. When there are updates to iOS & Android, it's usually bug fixes, a little eye candy, and maybe a couple new features. They're both already at the front of the technological advancement to date. Any feature added is often something new to the industry, not features that have been around for awhile in other platforms. WP, because they're coming from behind, need these "old" features added; hence the all-important updates.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 update India

Four days have left for the release of cyan update in India as per Microsoft tweet and I don't see that happening soon. This is unfair treatment towards us as we are the one of the largest market for WP. Microsoft are you listening??? We are dying of waiting...

The original quote was 'should be rolling out in India during the first 2 weeks of July'.

Nowhere does it say that this will definitely start being OTA'ed to users in India. I would install the 8.1 DP and enjoy that until the official Cyan update shows up.
Be patient, I suspect it will start to happen towards the end of July for almost everyone....

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 update India

The original quote was 'should be rolling out in India during the first 2 weeks of July'.

Nowhere does it say that this will definitely start being OTA'ed to users in India. I would install the 8.1 DP and enjoy that until the official Cyan update shows up.
Be patient, I suspect it will start to happen towards the end of July for almost everyone....

The tweet was "first weeks of July", there was no 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss