WIFI Direct is now enabled in wp8.1-- devs can we expect file sharing apps using wifi direct APIs???

Wp8 lvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
we all knows how much wifi direct feature is important for all of us.. it is very useful to share big files to other phones in seconds...
I search on official windows site then it show wp8.1 os now supports wifi direct (Minimum supported phone- Windows Phone 8.1 [Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 and Windows Runtime apps])
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ifidirect.aspx

So my question is for devs- Is it possible to make apps like flash transfer and superbeam to share multiple n big files using wifi direct to other wifi direct enabled phones..??
because file sharing via bluetooth is too slow n time consuming..

if anyone knows any information about wifi direct in wp let me know guys..also if any develorer here can tell me that is it possible to make wifi direct featured apps to share files for wp8.1...

reply asap

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You will have to have the same app on both ends. WiFi direct is just a communication protocol. For file sharing, there is no standard protocol as far as I know.

Wp8 lvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
u mean there is no possibility to share files over wifi direct..
but tell me is this possible with app which can be install on both devices to share files like flash transfer app on android...??

tell me pls..

arjun169

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Try"easy transfer" app till now it's the closest WP has come with Wi-Fi file sharing.... Hope something similar to superbeam comes soon..

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Would be nice if wifi direct could be used as a sharing method from Files... saves time, data & memory, rather than having to download an app specifically for that purpose.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
So, WiFi direct will never allow easy file sharing as Bluetooth?
Just select a file and boom, it's sent. No special programs, hardware requirements or things like that (OS restrictions etc...).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth has well defined object exchange protocol. WiFi direct doesn't. Even within Android eco system alone, Samsung phones can only share files via wifi direct with another Samsung phone, not with any other Android phones not from Samsung. The only thing we can hope is that the built-in file sharing feature of WP OS is now capable of using WiFi direct between WP 8.1 phones, but probably won't be able to with Android or iOS without some sort of app.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth has well defined object exchange protocol. WiFi direct doesn't. Even within Android eco system alone, Samsung phones can only share files via wifi direct with another Samsung phone, not with any other Android phones not from Samsung. The only thing we can hope is that the built-in file sharing feature of WP OS is now capable of using WiFi direct between WP 8.1 phones, but probably won't be able to with Android or iOS without some sort of app.
That was what I meant, and by the looks of it, it's useless.

Wp8 lvr

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It is good if MS add wifi direct built in to share files with other wp8.1 devices..
but also apps also important which can be installed on both devices to share files.. which will be used on all three major os.. like wp8.1, ios, droid..

apps like flash transfer and superbeam on android are best example for it..

built in wifi direct file sharing will be best if MS allow us to share apps and games to other paired wp8.1 devices without sharing apps personal data.. which saves lot of our internet data..
as apps n games already requires identification from wp store so here no piracy happen as well..

so this idea is great if MS implement it on wp8.1...

Melvinizer

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Sorry mmy friend, I'm afraid you're wrong! I've used Super beam on aa Android phone (Karbonn titanium) to transfer a file to my Lumia.

Melvinizer

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Wifi direct involves making the senders phone a server and the recipient's phone is allowed to connect to that server. And yea, all Microsoft has to do is to release few related API's so atleast the dev's could get the job done. :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wifi direct involves making the senders phone a server and the recipient's phone is allowed to connect to that server. And yea, all Microsoft has to do is to release few related API's so atleast the dev's could get the job done. :)

*cough* those APIs are publicly accessible in WP8.1 *cough*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte