Sky Go app Windows Phone 8/8.1

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke earlier today to Sky today regarding a Windows Phone 8 app and they have not ruled it out, but the 10% market share in the UK is the only thing holding it up, from the response I recieved it seems that maybe 15%+ (guessing) marketshare may be the trigger needed to bring Sky Go to our platform, they are in active talks internally about this very app.

Hopefully within the next few weeks or so the platform will get that much needed boost with the availability of the new Windows Phone 8.1 handsets..and it would mean that before the end of this year (better late than never) we should have Sky Go on Windows Phone.. on a side note Microsoft.. please hurry up with Cortana in the UK already....it may also be worth leaving your comments on the sky user voice forum

Voice Product Community

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Sky needn't worry about the 10% market share of WP. They really have no excuse since the availability of Universal apps across WP and Windows. They just need to pull their finger out and stop pandering to iPhone/Android bias. If ComedyCentral, being a sole TV Channel, can release a native streamer, so can Sky. And interestingly, ComedyCentral is only officially available in the US region of the WP store, where WP only enjoys a stagnating 3% market share so that argument is moot.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just spoke earlier today to Sky today regarding a Windows Phone 8 app and they have not ruled it out, but the 10% market share in the UK is the only thing holding it up, from the response I recieved it seems that maybe 15%+ (guessing) marketshare may be the trigger needed to bring Sky Go to our platform, they are in active talks internally about this very app.

Hopefully within the next few weeks or so the platform will get that much needed boost with the availability of the new Windows Phone 8.1 handsets..and it would mean that before the end of this year (better late than never) we should have Sky Go on Windows Phone.. on a side note Microsoft.. please hurry up with Cortana in the UK already....it may also be worth leaving your comments on the sky user voice forum

Voice Product Community

Thanks for the update. The lack of a Skygo app is a real downer for the WP platform. It's something I've been waiting for since WP7. This is a story that's been going back and forth for at least a year. Sky have a real love affair with Apple and don't seem in a hurry to work with other OS providers. This was the last story I read on the matter:

Windows Phone still a no go for Sky Go in UK | News | TechRadar

What really bugs me is that major TV providers like History Channel and Comedy Central are getting behind WP in the USA, but we can't get Sky on board over here. Hell, we don't even have an official BBC news app. What's up with that????

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Sky needn't worry about the 10% market share of WP. They really have no excuse since the availability of Universal apps across WP and Windows. They just need to pull their finger out and stop pandering to iPhone/Android bias. If ComedyCentral, being a sole TV Channel, can release a native streamer, so can Sky. And interestingly, ComedyCentral is only officially available in the US region of the WP store, where WP only enjoys a stagnating 3% market share so that argument is moot.

very true and I agree, but the conversation I had did seem rather positive the sky media team I was speaking to went to confer with the developers and I get the impression that they could be working on it, as they did also state that will want to cover all platform's..definitely should have been on Windows Phone nearer launch tho...

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the update. The lack of a Skygo app is a real downer for the WP platform. It's something I've been waiting for since WP7. This is a story that's been going back and forth for at least a year. Sky have a real love affair with Apple and don't seem in a hurry to work with other OS providers. This was the last story I read on the matter:

Windows Phone still a no go for Sky Go in UK | News | TechRadar

What really bugs me is that major TV providers like History Channel and Comedy Central are getting behind WP in the USA, but we can't get Sky on board over here. Hell, we don't even have an official BBC news app. What's up with that????

yes, it's frustrating that Windows Phone is getting some great success stories but still some companies hold back, maybe there are other reason's for them holding back, but with Microsoft offering funding for some of them or offering to create apps for them I don't think anyone can put the blame on Microsoft now but people still try.

Many of these companies use Microsoft's OS'es to run their business's so I think that its time for the last few companies to come on board and show a little respect and in turn make even more money. The advertising revenue to be had from Windows Phone according to many articles is quite decent already.

And also to the companies that haven't joined yet Windows Phone is still the fastest growing platform so get on board now to perfect your apps for the masses.

perhap's I will also call the BBC and see what their latest is for BBC News...

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just Spoke to the BBC regarding the BBC News app, haven't had an immediate response but they are forwarding my question to the relevant department and will respond within 10 days, I have a reference number for the call.
I mentioned to them how Sky already have a news app which I use daily and its well designed and that I used to use Rudy's app daily...Come on BBC (shame about Rudy Hyun's app)..I will update when I get more info..

you can email them if you also want a BBC News app mobileapps@bbc.co.uk

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
We did all this a while ago when bbc became paperboy. Hopefully they will come on board this time

I can't see any reasons for them not to come onboard, and I had also tried in the past to find out, but this time though I want real answers..

I do hope though that Microsoft stick to building their platform its too early to change any plans, and yes they need a boost but with another round of showing off what this platform has over the other platforms I think the phones will fly off the shelves..(and we need the 630/635 to drop in price)

They just need to promote not only their in house products, but other OEM's too and also get some good PR event's at shopping centers again etc. if they had a coordinated effort all the OEM'S + Microsoft it would be hard to ignore the platform..

And there is change in some of the tech media now instead of working against the platform some are actually liking and supporting it.. Great news that Windows Phone is being taken very seriously now, 6 months ago it was a different story.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is an email update I received about the BBC news app last Thursday from the BBC

"Thank you for contacting us regarding our online operations.

We understand you feel our news app service should cover extended Windows platforms.

We currently have apps for Apple and Android devices, which account for more than 75% of the UK smartphone market. We haven't ruled out developing apps for other platforms but building apps is expensive and as a publicly-funded organisation we have to prioritise the areas where we can reach the most users for the lowest cost. Please note, you can still access our online content using your web browser.

Nevertheless, we value your feedback about this aspect of our online service. All complaints are sent to senior management and programme makers every morning. We included your points in this overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us."

So fingers crossed it will come soon, and they at least have confirmed that they haven't ruled it out.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
exactly the same response i got 2 years ago :(

I did try previously too, but I will push for another answer maybe in a few days or so, it is disappointing that for some departments in the same company there are apps BBC iplayer + BBC Radio Player but the news dept can't justify it yet, maybe its ready to go but waiting for a key moment to release it..

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I did actually chase this up a fair while back and the discussions I had were fairly positive so I still have high hopes for Sky Go for Windows Phone. Fingers Crossed it will come soon. It will be a welcome addition things are looking good for Windows Phone.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't hold any hope as Sky are pathetic with the Go apps. The Android one is basically limited to Samsung phones.....

echrada

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I was just about to pre-order the 640 xl (would have been my first windows phone) and looked up whether I can get sky go as I cannot, that puts and end to my windows phone! What a shame. Surely Microsoft could put pressure on them if they so wished. Apple did!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea