Back button behaviour when opening apps from Notification Center

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Consider this scenario: I have a notifcation for about 5 new emails from, say, Outlook.com. in my Notification Center. I intend to read them all. So I click on one of those emails, which takes me to the email app. Once I read that email I want to read the rest of the emails (since they are on the same app), but the go-to-next/previous email buttons (left arrow/right arrow) at the bottom of the app are disabled.

Now, I press the WP Back button and I expect to go back to the inbox screen (similar to how it behaves when I open the app from the Start sceen) but it exits from the app altogether! I have to open the app if I have it pinned, or dive into the app list and open the app from there, and only then I can the rest of my emails. It's really maddenning.

Have you guys experienced the same? I would expect the Back button to be contextually aware and take me back to the Inbox screen. I think the behaviour is the same as above in other apps like WhatsApp.

Is it something the developers need to take care of? Or is this the intended way of working?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Now that I've been using it more, I can understand your point better.

I still think that the back button behaviour is appropriate because its function is to take you back to your previous screen.

This is not saying that your point isn't valid, but the best solution would be a home button at the bottom of the app that would take you to your inbox.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
It's the way it's intended to work in this instance. They assume that if you select a specific email, you only want to deal with that email, and leave the rest in the Notification Center. If you tap Linked inbox at the top, it opens the whole inbox, and you can use the forward and backward arrows in the emails. This removes all the email notifications from the Notification Center, of course. It isn't as intuitive as we might like, but it is reasonably flexible once you understand how it's meant to be used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234