No Really, Android Could 'Help' Windows Phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
According to numerous financial reports Google pays Microsoft close to 2 billion dollars PER YEAR in patent licensing/royalties yes billion with a B. If the app gap is really the problem according to so many people here, then why not use the money Microsoft forces Google to fork over by law and invest that Android royalty money into essentially bribing official apps over to Windows Phone. Microsoft basically could offer them a monthly set wage of x-amount of dollars to develop and support for WP. The problems devs have with Windows Phone is they see the low number of users which don't create enough of an economic incentive to make WP apps. But what if MSFT guaranteed them a set amount of money each month long enough until their new WP app gets enough downloads to sustain the app themselves as intended. This would only apply to quality high demand official apps that users of WP gripe about not having, it's not saying "hey Microsoft will pay anyone who can give them a crappy one star rated app".

If the "app gap" and not marketing ineptitude is the true cancer to WP's longevity (as many here suggest) then why not use some money that MSFT doesn't even work to attain to push WP? It's not like they need Android patent money for operational expenses, if apps are what's holding the platform back doesn't this investment make sense? This is literally raw profit bonus money to MSFT it's not much of a gamble for them to try using some of it, especially if the end result means more success for WP. Microsoft for all intents and purposes extort $2 billion from Google each year. Use your competitor's money to fuel Windows Phone!
Why surrender to the company that MSFT has by the balls in the patent offices? We don't need their OS on our phones! We need their money invested in our platform! Heck no one has even suggested MSFT use some of this cash to incentivize Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint retail stores to push WP. Offer bonus commissions on top of their carrier's to the salespeople (beat whatever Android is paying them). This should all be obvious moves to any entry level business/marketing undergrad much less a Fortune 500 company. MSFT either miraculously haven't thought of this or simply aren't that serious about being a credible 3rd mobile OS contender and have been hypnotized by the cloud man(Nadella). MSFT isn't a dying Blackberry, Microsoft is Walter White burying cash in the damn desert because the profits have gotten so outta hand. I'm MSFT shareholder and I'm telling you $100 bills fly like swarms of biblical locust toward Redmond. The fact that MSFT won't open their obese wallet to make WP a success puzzles me as a WP enthusiast.

MODS: please don't close this thread I haven't found another thread that specifically discusses the whole Google to Microsoft patent dispute money being used in this specific way, I just want to open discussion on the pros and cons of this specific patent profit strategy at stimulating Windows Phone's app ecosystem. I also would like to hear perspectives on how a mass influx of official apps to WP this would bring would change things.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Didn't you, like, JUST call for "A MASS EXODUS TO iOS TO SHOW MICROSOFT THAT WE MEAN BUSINESS". Now you're suddenly ok with Android? It sounds like you enjoy posting threads with titles that you think will get lots of comments.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
MODS: please don't close this thread I haven't found another thread that specifically discusses the whole Google to Microsoft patent dispute money being used in this specific way, I just want to open discussion on the pros and cons of this specific patent profit strategy at stimulating Windows Phone's app ecosystem. I also would like to hear perspectives on how a mass influx of official apps to WP this would bring would change things.

This stuff is getting old.
These thread discussions are wearing a lot of members out and are nothing except a huge pot to stir.
Can't we just stick to the ongoing threads instead of trying to shovel more coal?

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Didn't you, like, JUST call for "A MASS EXODUS TO iOS TO SHOW MICROSOFT THAT WE MEAN BUSINESS". Now you're suddenly ok with Android? It sounds like you enjoy posting threads with titles that you think will get lots of comments.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
You gotta learn to read more than a header before posting a rebuttal. I'm still adamantly against an Android Lumia flagship phone. I'm not against using their money against them. My plan doesn't call for a surrender to Google.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This stuff is getting old.
These thread discussions are wearing a lot of people out now.

And the daily threads of WP users whining about WP not having *insert app name* doesn't get tiring? At least I'm trying to discuss solutions to our collective WP woes. Not complain that apps I want aren't here.

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
According to numerous financial reports Google pays Microsoft close to 2 billion dollars PER YEAR in patent licensing/royalties yes billion with a B. If the app gap is really the problem according to so many people here, then why not use the money Microsoft forces Google to fork over by law and invest that Android royalty money into essentially bribing official apps over to Windows Phone. Microsoft basically could offer them a monthly set wage of x-amount of dollars to develop and support for WP. The problems devs have with Windows Phone is they see the low number of users which don't create enough of an economic incentive to make WP apps. But what if MSFT guaranteed them a set amount of money each month long enough until their new WP app gets enough downloads to sustain the app themselves as intended. This would only apply to quality high demand official apps that users of WP gripe about not having, it's not saying "hey Microsoft will pay anyone who can give them a crappy one star rated app".

If the "app gap" and not marketing ineptitude is the true cancer to WP's longevity (as many here suggest) then why not use some money that MSFT doesn't even work to attain to push WP? It's not like they need Android patent money for operational expenses, if apps are what's holding the platform back doesn't this investment make sense? This is literally raw profit bonus money to MSFT it's not much of a gamble for them to try using some of it, especially if the end result means more success for WP. Microsoft for all intents and purposes extort $2 billion from Google each year. Use your competitor's money to fuel Windows Phone!
Why surrender to the company that MSFT has by the balls in the patent offices? We don't need their OS on our phones! We need their money invested in our platform! Heck no one has even suggested MSFT use some of this cash to incentivize Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint retail stores to push WP. Offer bonus commissions on top of their carrier's to the salespeople (beat whatever Android is paying them). This should all be obvious moves to any entry level business/marketing undergrad much less a Fortune 500 company. MSFT either miraculously haven't thought of this or simply aren't that serious about being a credible 3rd mobile OS contender and have been hypnotized by the cloud man(Nadella). MSFT isn't a dying Blackberry, Microsoft is Walter White burying cash in the damn desert because the profits have gotten so outta hand. I'm MSFT shareholder and I'm telling you $100 bills fly like swarms of biblical locust toward Redmond. The fact that MSFT won't open their obese wallet to make WP a success puzzles me as a WP enthusiast.

This actually is a really good idea, but sadly logic escapes Microsoft and the Windows Phone apologists here who will go down with the ship before they'll ever admit we're not doing well as a platform and need to actually try something to stop the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99