Restore Whatsapp backup to new Phone

Fabio Cipriani

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried to plug a micro sub to usb-A adapter into a lumia without sd card? Will it be possible to backup what's app chats to the USB stick connected via adapter? On W10M and WP8.1 there is USB OTG support, thus making the USB stick be seen as an external memory, just like an SD card, I guess. I haven't tried yet, but my micro USB adapter has just been sent from Amazon. Will try as soon as it gets deliverd

Ganvartin

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Any idea on restoring data from WP 8.1 backup to Windows 10 Mobile?
I'm trying to restore my whatsapp chats to my new Lumia 950. (Unsuccessfull)
Previously I was using Lumia 720 and have backed up the messages. Have copied this backup folder to the new phone. But it doesn't detect the same.
Can someone let me know why I'm not able to pull the messages from the previous version's backup?

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I can't restore the backup. I'm switching from a Lumia 730 (WP8.1) to a Lumia 950 XL. Whatsapp doesn't detect the backup. So there is no "restore" option. :(

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Ok so from experience (and all feedback I have seen online), it's impossible to back up your messages if your device doesn't support an SD card. The only solution which seems feasible but one that I haven't tried, is the one where you connect your device to your PC, get into the whatsapp folder and copy the entire back-up file to your PC and then place it in the same folder on your new device.

That said, the only one that works without effort, is if your device supports SD and you back up to your SD. Then when you reset and reinstall Whatsapp, it will ask you if you want to restore your chats from your SD. That works like a charm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos