1520 update to cyan + 8.1 for unlocked from another country

Shai Petel

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
couldn't find that answer on the forum, hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have the lumia 1520, unlocked that I bought online. I think it is Chinese, not sure.
I'm using it on VirginMobile in Canada.
Also, I unlocked the phone for developer preview.

I'm just wondering, who do I need to wait for to get the Cyan and 8.1 update?
Virgin Canada? Canada as a country?
Will it be available when it is available at the country of origin for the device? Or based on my current location / provider?

Similar question could be: I unlocked my 920 from Rogers Canada, and gave it to a fried who is using it in Israel. Will he get the update once Rogers releases the update here in Canada, or based on his new provider in Israel?

:confused:

Just a little confusing, if someone can help clear things up I would appreciate the help.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you're idd running DP then the update will be available soon :) There is a tracker page in the forums that can tell you when it will be available for your country :) Keep in mind that the update has started with the 925 and 625 (or was it 630?). Keep an eye on the tracker page and on WPCentral news section. As soon as the update is available for your phone you will be able to download it. Again if your phone is unlocked you won't have to wait for the carrier release :)

Shai Petel

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Cool, So for any phone that is factory unlocked or purchased unlock code, the update will kick in as soon as it is ready for that device, regardless of country it was purchased from / country I'm in?
Or is it only if I have DP turned on?
Thanks for the quick reply

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My knowledge goes as far as DP lol... But in theory if you bought an unlock code then the phone should be able to update independently of the carrier

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Country variant handsets get the update when it's released. Carrier provided handsets that have been unlocked are at the mercy of the original carrier for update schedules, regardless of where the phone is and which SIM is in it.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you're idd running DP then the update will be available soon :) There is a tracker page in the forums that can tell you when it will be available for your country :) Keep in mind that the update has started with the 925 and 625 (or was it 630?). Keep an eye on the tracker page and on WPCentral news section. As soon as the update is available for your phone you will be able to download it. Again if your phone is unlocked you won't have to wait for the carrier release :)

625 - the 630 comes with it already.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre