The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-08-2014 09:52 PM
77 1234
tools
    Ah, just noticed I used the term 'speed' instead of 'smart' - maybe I'm thinking of a different thing altogether!
    07-19-2014 05:52 AM
    Was just asking. I've never used speed dialling - I pin the four most regular contact to my start screen, other regular contacts appear under 'phone' as soon as you open it. Same when I used Android. How would you use speed dialling?
    It isn't speed dialing, it's smart dialing. When you just key in a few letters to a phone pad, it lists the names of all contacts which have those letters in them in that sequence. It's extremely useful feature which was already there, most used and most requested.
    07-19-2014 09:06 AM
    It isn't speed dialing, it's smart dialing. When you just key in a few letters to a phone pad, it lists the names of all contacts which have those letters in them in that sequence. It's extremely useful feature which was already there, most used and most requested.
    Aye, exactly the use scenario iI described above. Such a useful feature. And it has been requested for years. But then people have been asking for openvpn access as well, another huge request thread. Oh well :/
    07-19-2014 09:22 AM
    USB OTG is a topic of debate. I used it most with my old n8 a lot. I used to carry all my movies and song collection on pen drives and watch them while traveling. Now I can't as it has a very limited storage and it's going to go down as I install more apps, update OS/app, click photos, shoot videos. Some might say cloud is an option. For me it's out of question as I go frequently to areas where not even normal network coverage is available. forget 3G. And another thing is, when you already have everything with you, why upload it to 3rd party cloud solution, spend your data and money to see it again all the time?
    Can you download any attachment when you open your gmail account in Internet Explorer on WP 8.1? I can't. I am not talking about mail client.
    In android, you can delete app from your app list in store after you uninstall it-that is when you no longer use the app.
    I would always prefer WIFi toggle as I do not need to auto connect. If at all I need to why would I need to keep changing the time to reconnect?I would set is once and for all.
    07-19-2014 09:25 AM
    USB OTG is a topic of debate. I used it most with my old n8 a lot. I used to carry all my movies and song collection on pen drives and watch them while traveling. Now I can't as it has a very limited storage and it's going to go down as I install more apps, update OS/app, click photos, shoot videos. Some might say cloud is an option. For me it's out of question as I go frequently to areas where not even normal network coverage is available. forget 3G. And another thing is, when you already have everything with you, why upload it to 3rd party cloud solution, spend your data and money to see it again all the time?
    Can you download any attachment when you open your gmail account in Internet Explorer on WP 8.1? I can't. I am not talking about mail client.
    In android, you can delete app from your app list in store after you uninstall it-that is when you no longer use the app.
    I would always prefer WIFi toggle as I do not need to auto connect. If at all I need to why would I need to keep changing the time to reconnect?I would set is once and for all.
    Agree 100%. Aside from open vpn the other thing I want is usb otg, I'd they're isn't an SD card (though why they're is no SD card on some phones is beyond me). I'm not putting sensitive info into the cloud, nor am I putting my photos or anything else there. It's good for some, for me no.

Basically what you said ;)
    07-19-2014 09:33 AM
    How do you say battery life has improved, battery consumption has increased quite a long in comparison with 8.0
    You need to block all apps from running in background. Go to 'Battery Saver' -> block all apps which you don't need. That's all I did. My batter life really has improved.
    07-19-2014 09:54 AM
    1: Still no smart dialing
    Might try one of the many Smart Dialing apps in the WP Store. I use RapDialer.
    07-20-2014 02:45 AM
    I have a big problem on my new windows Phone 8.1 that it can't open PDF files which is in large size but in my old phone which working perfectly with Android it can open any PDF files very easily , does anyone have any solutions ?
    07-26-2014 10:59 AM
    I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the Me hub has regained some of its functionality/usefulness with Cyan.
    I'm sure when 8.1DP was installed, the "post an update" part of Me took you straight in to the default app (in my case twitter and it took me straight into new tweet.)

Now, it has the old WP8 way of an o/s level update in the Metro box without opening the app. Much cleaner.

Has this changed back or did I dream it all?

wp_ss_20140728_0001.jpg
    07-28-2014 02:54 AM
    My 930 takes me to the Facebook app to post :( On the screen where you click 'Ppost an update', go to settings. What do you have for 'Use for updates' ?
    07-28-2014 06:49 AM
    Absolutely loath the new cursor! Don't understand why they felt the need to 'improve' it. Worked perfectly on WP8.
    07-30-2014 02:40 AM
    Yeah, I can't use it - my fingers are too big to hit the minute circle!
    07-30-2014 02:53 AM
    The Bad:(Ctnd.)
    15: WiFi doesn't stay on. It doesn't disconnect but shows 'limited connectivity' after say approx half hour of inactivity. I have to disconnect and reconnect then it again works till it stop using apps which use network (IE or whatsapp or store or something similar)
    16: IE sometimes doesn't show pages. It shows pages is fully loaded, there is refresh icon at the end of search bar but page is blank white. When I click refresh icon, the page reloads correctly. Happens once in a while.
    17: When phone gets auto locked when whatsapp/office is open, it takes longer time for lock screen to appear. It shows 'resuming' for few seconds. Don't know if my cell has the problem or many others. Also when I get any mail/message and I try to unlock at the moment, it shows 'resuming' for a few seconds then the lock screen appears to swipe up.
    Last edited by k12000lt; 07-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    07-30-2014 04:48 AM
    Health & Fitness on a 635 with Motion Data which is part of Cyan, allows the phone to count steps as I walk, and eliminates the need for a pedometer or interfaces with one or FitBit. Although on constantly it must use very little battery.

The Files program is super, allowing me to see what's on the phone and my SD card. You can even launch from it

Also, I just noticed that when I text, in addition to word recognition, it recognizes words and pops up an appropriate emoji
    Dave47 likes this.
    08-01-2014 10:34 AM
    GPS is trashed on my 925, way off or always gives an error when getting to find an address in the maps app. The hinders use of the links from people hub etc. Terrible, I've posted to Microsoft forums with no reply yet.
    08-04-2014 06:35 AM
    I am personally VERY impressed with the new update. I love all the new features like the call list, drop down menu that shows the specific notification you have, Facebook, being able to customize the background of your tiles, live folders, and I think the battery life has improved! still trying to get used to it all feels like I have a brand new phone Hope everyone is enjoying it!
    08-05-2014 01:46 PM
    I have to admit I was astonished to find there was no smart dialling. I've been using it for years on android now. It's a massive omission in my opinion, up until buying my WP phone I pretty much considered it to be a basic function.
    08-07-2014 02:39 PM
    Does anyone on US AT&T with Lumia Cyan break their Internet Sharing (tethering)? My L520 can no longer sharing the internet and my US AT&T L635 which I did straight update to GDR1 through Dev Preview also has broken ICS. I might want to try rolling back my 635 see if I can ICS works on stock image.

I definitely did roll back my L520 from GDR1 (with Cyan) back to Black. Verified ICS working. Upgrade to Cyan. ICS is dead. Saying that Internet Sharing is not enabled.

Edit: Confirmed that my brand spanking new Lumia 635 cannot share internet after roll back to stock AT&T Image of Lumia Cyan.
    Last edited by DiLioPi; 08-07-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Done the roll back of L635 and reporting the finding.
    08-07-2014 07:43 PM
    Yeah, I can't use it - my fingers are too big to hit the minute circle!
    I don't get why they don't just have arrow buttons on the keypad, they seem to have managed to fit everything else on there. It makes sense to me to have the same buttons as you have on a normal keyboard and it would save a lot of aggravation when editing text. Left and right arrows would do, you don't need up and down so it's only 2 extra buttons.

I like the swipe-style keyboard though, it's incredibly accurate and I was amazed at how good it was when I first started using it.

The most highly rated on android seems to be the TouchPal keyboard and it's useless. It often misinterprets common words - for "the" you usually get "three", which considering how often you use the word "the" it really pisses you off. There are tons of other examples and the absolute worst thing is it doesn't learn from it's mistakes.
    08-08-2014 08:55 AM
    The Bad:(Ctnd.)
    15: WiFi doesn't stay on. It doesn't disconnect but shows 'limited connectivity' after say approx half hour of inactivity. I have to disconnect and reconnect then it again works till it stop using apps which use network (IE or whatsapp or store or something similar)
    16: IE sometimes doesn't show pages. It shows pages is fully loaded, there is refresh icon at the end of search bar but page is blank white. When I click refresh icon, the page reloads correctly. Happens once in a while.
    17: When phone gets auto locked when whatsapp/office is open, it takes longer time for lock screen to appear. It shows 'resuming' for few seconds. Don't know if my cell has the problem or many others. Also when I get any mail/message and I try to unlock at the moment, it shows 'resuming' for a few seconds then the lock screen appears to swipe up.
    U might have uninstalled lock screen beta didn't ya.Go to kids corner activate it & turn it off & you'll have no resuming on lock screen.
    08-08-2014 09:09 AM
    When open most apps that have access to sound, even if im not playing sound i hear static noise after cyan update (for ex: Whatsapp,cortana,..etc)
    any thoughts?
    08-08-2014 09:36 AM
    Bad (Ctnd..)
    18. Still have to accept each and every file while receiving via bluetooth....extremely annoying. In general, bluetooth file sharing is very complicated on WP8/8.1 to other PCs/laptops/mobiles. It was damn easy with Symbian, just turn bluetooth on, select and send. Now everytime I have to pair first, then start sharing.
    19. Can't select multiple items and share via Whatsapp. Don't know if this is whatsapp problem or WP8.1's.
    08-19-2014 11:30 AM
    Well, being a fairly new owner of a Lumia 520 I never really messed with 8.0 much since our phones(me and wifey got same one) updated immediately after we activated them. So far, Im very smitten with WP/Cyan and how everything works. Its not perfect, NO OS is, but for most of the usual tasks it performs them pretty flawlessly and without incident. The OS stays out of the way which is what you want as a user, IMO.

WP is as good as android or iOS and I truly feel that way. Good for Windows & good for Nokia for making this happen. They have a good product here that people should look at as an alternative to the hopelessly bloated android and the overpriced & somewhat stifled iOS products.

For anyone looking to go with a no-contract phone & not spend a fortune, the WP/Nokia combo is hard to beat. You get a full featured, well made smart phone for cheap money versus some low-end jalopy from Android or a 4 year old product from Apple(iphone 4 is the only affordable no contract phone from apple).
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-19-2014 12:05 PM
    Some of the changes are mind boggling, absolutely mind boggling.

- Wtf is this text editor dot shi*? It has a mind of it's own and it's almost impossible to edit something. It's faster to just type the word again. Unexlainable as to why they 'improved!' that.
    - Action center notifications, what the actual f? If i clear them all, or swipe one away, PLEASE then remove the notification from the lockscreen and tile as well! And vice versa. Again, mind boggling.
    - Lost the smooth animations on 520, tiles are beeing redrawed when going back to homescreen almost every time.. Animation has 5 frames per second, etc..

Just some things on top of my head, which are beggining to test my patience with the system..
    08-19-2014 04:23 PM
    Received Windows Phone 8.1 update for my 520 last week, it was really unexpected. I'm very excited to see the new features. Luckily not much bugs cannot be detected, still the following bugs exists :

1) Album Preview Pic gets disappeared leaving that portion transparent for a few seconds, then it comes back. Generally this happens when moving to the Start screen or moving to Apps list.
    2) No Quick button for GPRS in Action Centre.
    3) Battery life is clearly reduced.
    4) Cortana is not available in India now, all existing Volume Control apps are now crashed. Can anyone suggest an app for controlling volume in WP 8.1 ?

I'm generally happy with the update, can't say yet if I jumped in too quick for the update.
    Last edited by rnvipin; 08-20-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: To add few more updates
    08-20-2014 11:38 AM
77 1234