Thoughts on Windows Phone Cyan?

AMT21

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I am personally VERY impressed with the new update. I love all the new features like the call list, drop down menu that shows the specific notification you have, Facebook, being able to customize the background of your tiles, live folders, and I think the battery life has improved! still trying to get used to it all feels like I have a brand new phone :smile: Hope everyone is enjoying it!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I have to admit I was astonished to find there was no smart dialling. I've been using it for years on android now. It's a massive omission in my opinion, up until buying my WP phone I pretty much considered it to be a basic function.

DiLioPi

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone on US AT&T with Lumia Cyan break their Internet Sharing (tethering)? My L520 can no longer sharing the internet and my US AT&T L635 which I did straight update to GDR1 through Dev Preview also has broken ICS. I might want to try rolling back my 635 see if I can ICS works on stock image.

I definitely did roll back my L520 from GDR1 (with Cyan) back to Black. Verified ICS working. Upgrade to Cyan. ICS is dead. Saying that Internet Sharing is not enabled.

Edit: Confirmed that my brand spanking new Lumia 635 cannot share internet after roll back to stock AT&T Image of Lumia Cyan.

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I can't use it - my fingers are too big to hit the minute circle!

I don't get why they don't just have arrow buttons on the keypad, they seem to have managed to fit everything else on there. It makes sense to me to have the same buttons as you have on a normal keyboard and it would save a lot of aggravation when editing text. Left and right arrows would do, you don't need up and down so it's only 2 extra buttons.

I like the swipe-style keyboard though, it's incredibly accurate and I was amazed at how good it was when I first started using it.

The most highly rated on android seems to be the TouchPal keyboard and it's useless. It often misinterprets common words - for "the" you usually get "three", which considering how often you use the word "the" it really pisses you off. There are tons of other examples and the absolute worst thing is it doesn't learn from it's mistakes.

puru1234

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
The Bad:(Ctnd.)
15: WiFi doesn't stay on. It doesn't disconnect but shows 'limited connectivity' after say approx half hour of inactivity. I have to disconnect and reconnect then it again works till it stop using apps which use network (IE or whatsapp or store or something similar)
16: IE sometimes doesn't show pages. It shows pages is fully loaded, there is refresh icon at the end of search bar but page is blank white. When I click refresh icon, the page reloads correctly. Happens once in a while.
17: When phone gets auto locked when whatsapp/office is open, it takes longer time for lock screen to appear. It shows 'resuming' for few seconds. Don't know if my cell has the problem or many others. Also when I get any mail/message and I try to unlock at the moment, it shows 'resuming' for a few seconds then the lock screen appears to swipe up.

U might have uninstalled lock screen beta didn't ya.Go to kids corner activate it & turn it off & you'll have no resuming on lock screen.

Daks023

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
When open most apps that have access to sound, even if im not playing sound i hear static noise after cyan update (for ex: Whatsapp,cortana,..etc)
any thoughts?

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Bad (Ctnd..)
18. Still have to accept each and every file while receiving via bluetooth....extremely annoying. In general, bluetooth file sharing is very complicated on WP8/8.1 to other PCs/laptops/mobiles. It was damn easy with Symbian, just turn bluetooth on, select and send. Now everytime I have to pair first, then start sharing.
19. Can't select multiple items and share via Whatsapp. Don't know if this is whatsapp problem or WP8.1's.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, being a fairly new owner of a Lumia 520 I never really messed with 8.0 much since our phones(me and wifey got same one) updated immediately after we activated them. So far, Im very smitten with WP/Cyan and how everything works. Its not perfect, NO OS is, but for most of the usual tasks it performs them pretty flawlessly and without incident. The OS stays out of the way which is what you want as a user, IMO.

WP is as good as android or iOS and I truly feel that way. Good for Windows & good for Nokia for making this happen. They have a good product here that people should look at as an alternative to the hopelessly bloated android and the overpriced & somewhat stifled iOS products.

For anyone looking to go with a no-contract phone & not spend a fortune, the WP/Nokia combo is hard to beat. You get a full featured, well made smart phone for cheap money versus some low-end jalopy from Android or a 4 year old product from Apple(iphone 4 is the only affordable no contract phone from apple).

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Some of the changes are mind boggling, absolutely mind boggling.

- Wtf is this text editor dot shi*? It has a mind of it's own and it's almost impossible to edit something. It's faster to just type the word again. Unexlainable as to why they 'improved!' that.
- Action center notifications, what the actual f? If i clear them all, or swipe one away, PLEASE then remove the notification from the lockscreen and tile as well! And vice versa. Again, mind boggling.
- Lost the smooth animations on 520, tiles are beeing redrawed when going back to homescreen almost every time.. Animation has 5 frames per second, etc..

Just some things on top of my head, which are beggining to test my patience with the system..

rnvipin

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on Windows Phone Cyan

Received Windows Phone 8.1 update for my 520 last week, it was really unexpected. I'm very excited to see the new features. Luckily not much bugs cannot be detected, still the following bugs exists :

1) Album Preview Pic gets disappeared leaving that portion transparent for a few seconds, then it comes back. Generally this happens when moving to the Start screen or moving to Apps list.
2) No Quick button for GPRS in Action Centre.
3) Battery life is clearly reduced.
4) Cortana is not available in India now, all existing Volume Control apps are now crashed. Can anyone suggest an app for controlling volume in WP 8.1 ?

I'm generally happy with the update, can't say yet if I jumped in too quick for the update.

Last edited:

altbus1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My lumia 925 worked without any problem before the cyan update, afterwards it's the battery life that bothers me the most. My camera went black one time. (after turning the device off/on it worked again)
And the lack of app's from the windows store is anoying, but that has nothing to do with windows itself.
For the rest the action center needs to be updated to add the option data connection.
I like the way windows phone works and if they try to keep up with the other os, I don't feel the need to change.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Received Windows Phone 8.1 update for my 520 last week, it was really unexpected. I'm very excited to see the new features. Luckily not much bugs cannot be detected, still the following bugs exists :

1) Album Preview Pic gets disappeared leaving that portion transparent for a few seconds, then it comes back. Generally this happens when moving to the Start screen or moving to Apps list.
2) No Quick button for GPRS in Action Centre.
3) Battery life is clearly reduced.
4) Cortana is not available in India now, all existing Volume Control apps are now crashed. Can anyone suggest an app for controlling volume in WP 8.1 ?

I'm generally happy with the update, can't say yet if I jumped in too quick for the update.

Cortana will be available soon to India, but you can activate it! Just search WPcentral for activating Cortana in India! I have 1320, I don't find much difference in reduction of battery life! & also I don't have that album preview problem you mentioned above!

ludecoli

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wish this update had a turn-off phone password feature because with irremovable battery it'd keeps us safer of finding our phone after been stolen.

I have a Lumia 720 and I live in a dangerous area, preventing the thief to turn off the phone immediately would give me time to localize the phone, where do I give MS this suggestion?

RoboLoftie

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
My 920's GPS has become rather confused after the update too. If I'm at my sisters it tells me I'm two streets away. I have to close and open maps and hit my location a few times for it to realise where I am. Kind of annoying when I've got WiFi off and set to turn on at favourite places!

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
What's new on the start screen, with the signal, wifi, battery indicators? Seems that the wifi indicator has moved from more centered to right next to the service signal bars, and there are one or two little dots appearing at times above the wifi signal. Anyone know what these mean? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, and Cortana doesn't know what it is, or just won't tell me.

Last edited:

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

when i was using windows 8 on my nokia lumia 625 that time whenever i post photo, status on my facebook account its shows the title via windows phone ! but getting windows 8.1 cyan update i don't find this anymore ! thats disappointing! look at apple iphone users whenever they post photo on facebook its shows via ios ! that cool but windows user after getting cyan update don't show others that they 're using windows phone !! :( plz fix it soon !

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to say, half of your 'Bad' reasons are invalid. You can't expect a update to do things for WhatsApp of windows doesn't own WhatsApp. You also can't expect a PowerPoint editor to come on a update too. You get those already in Office. Plus you're asking for all this crap you want in it and acting like its a bad update. 🙎

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99