Issues POST cyan/8.1 update- Lumia 1520

Alex Golesh

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Same issues as everyone described -- with DP device were showing "loading" or "resuming" sometimes (once-twice a day), now every 10-15 minutes. Battery drain also is quite noticeable (about 12-13 hours from full to ~20%) and the phone heats up. Did 3(!!!!) hard rests already incl. one reset by nokia software recovery tool :(
I am on AT&T's official Cyan/8.1... Seriously considering moving back to 8.0...
Same issues as you with my updated 1520 plus my start screen now shows "loading" or "resuming" at random times. I have had to do myriads of resets since I updated to 8.1. I also have done a reset to factory settings and reloaded all my apps one at a time. It was after that factory reset that my phone started freezing on a regular basis.

My battery life prior to the update was 36 hours easily. Now, I am lucky to make it through the day--16 hours. Of course, I am keeping location on so that I can use Cortanna--otherwise, I cannot voice dial. But before the update, Wifi was always on and Bluetooth was on most of the day.

One thing I noticed, even though the battery saver has the apps barred from running in the background, as soon as I open one of the apps, they again are allowed background usage. With 8.0, you could choose whether they remained blocked or you could choose to turn them back on once you reopened the app.

I left Androids because of battery drain, freezing, and constantly having to tweak the apps. I will leave and go to Blackberry and take my chance with them going defunct. I am too busy to have to play nursemaid to my phone.

I feel like going back to 8.0. I have read that with Nokia you can revert to the older version.

Brokn Wing

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes I am having Hell lot of troubles with my 1520 after the official CYAN update. Battery drains out qwickly, On most of the games Fotns are getting blurred / Not clear. and device is getting too hot now. %$^%^$%$%^&*^*&^&&*^

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just downgraded to 8.0 so I can update to 8.1+cyan on my 1520. Everything is great and battery life seems to be even better than before! Did you guys hard reset after the initial installation? Because it seems people who skip this step end up having issues. I even did a restore and everything is fine. Battery is reporting over 24 hours now. Also, for those with start screen loading and resuming issues, do you have Cortana pinned? If so, unpin to see if that makes a difference.

apecx92

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
do you guys have any issues with the camera after the Cyan update? mine the camera goes up and down and always CAF. tried in all camera app. video mode didnt effect.

seem there problem in autofocus algorithm right?

askrsk

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing similar issues. The battery drain is very noticeable. Before the update, i could get a day and a half out of the phone. Now i can barely get 10 hours. This is a significant difference. Had I known, I probably would not have upgraded so fast.

zdonkulous

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With final Cyan update & DP, I've experienced issues connecting to my home d-link di-655 N router but not at work. Does anybody else have issues with connecting to certain wifi signals?

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I reverted to 8.0 and updated to the official Cyan/8.1 software and now my 1520.3 won't turn airplane mode off. if I try to turn it off with the action center, it switches on and off extremely fast and never shuts off, causing the phone to get very hot.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
All WP owners should know this by now...
The battery will take about a week or so to settle down as the system 'learns' the battery drain and charge rates. It's been like this since WP7....

TOF1339

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
All WP owners should know this by now...
The battery will take about a week or so to settle down as the system 'learns' the battery drain and charge rates. It's been like this since WP7....

I bought two 1520 phones on July 25. Brought them home, looked for updates, first one updated 8.0.x, it restarted, checked for update again and 8.1 loaded, restarted and I couldn't be happier. Battery life is a charge every 1.5 - 2 days even after all the setups, learning curve and use. No problems I can notice yet. This is obviously no help to those of you having various problems but it does appear that 8.1 works well for me.

Chronousx

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
hmm funny how i never encountered these problems after updating, try disable some useless apps from running in the backgroud using the battery sense apps.:< :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

stack_overflower

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys! I have the same issue with Lumia 1320. I updated to WP 8.1 and Cyan (not developer preview) and my battery life is quite bad. Before the update I could go through 2 days of use but now it decreases ridicoulously. Do I have to flash manually the previous version? I hate this thing I really dunno what to do. I even tried to do a complete phone reset but nothing changed. Everything is turned off except 3G connection. So angry.

shafeeque c a

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
i have updated my lumia 625 and stuck up with new additions

1. Facebook messenger is removed :crying: such a bad update
2.all apps of media got separated (no use and takes time while opening)
3.games are not shown in storage sense (tel me how can i see the size of these things?)
4.the "Me" is been removed and the inbuilt apps got removed.

Azikrie

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone....

Seem the trouble get to me too... but I'm sure there is something that we don't know about Lumia Cyan...
After I tried 'explore' all the system, so here I find something interesting:

First, Lumia Cyan provide many features.. i mean settings that is dificult to us to understand.. and so am I.
But I think, the probability is the setting that drain our Lumia 1520 batteries.
So, I want to share something. I just do this...
1. Turn off all the WiFi Sense because it try to sense or search all the 'WIFI' connection near to us. - settings-wifi-wifi sense.
2. Turn off Bluetooth, NFC, WIFI, Internet sharing and Location in 'system' if we not use it.
3. Choose to 'manually' download new email at all our email in 'email=account'. Just sync it when we need it.
4. In 'battery saver' setting, I swipe.. i mean 'click' or what ever it is... choose 'usage' and we will see all the application were running the batteries. Here we can choose to allowed it running at background or not. Just turn it off. I same like the previous WP 8.0 whether we want to blocked or not...

I think, only this info , i can share... more about the problem, I'm still trying it out...
Sorry for bad English....

Smashfacemonster

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just came back from metroPCS looking to use their WiFi to get the Lumia Cyan update and the technician told me DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE TO THE LUMIA CYAN UPDATE YET. Do to firmware issues in the software that customers are complaining of lost contacts, phone totally shutting down to plan just stop working phones.Then told me to wait for a week or two because there was to be another update to fix those issues that the original Lumia cyan update caused.
So I think I'm gonna take that guys suggestion seeing he is on the front end of the network software issues. 8/14/2014 9:47a.m. Conversation with metroPCS technician.

Bill MacLean

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the heating problem comes from the system trying to reattach some email accounts. I set them all to manual then individually tested them. Eventually all synched up properly and now the charge rate is over 24%/hr and discharge is 1.96% / hr.

BOY was it hot last night and this morning until I did this. Roger Lumia 920

Bill MacLean

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just reconfirmed that the email caused the problems. I went back to my old settings and the power went crazy. I have set them to manually for now. - no problem.

welshdalek

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I plugged my headphones in last night, just a a text message was coming in. The phone stopped for a moment, became totally unresponsive and then the display turned into what can only be described as static/snow.
The phone was totally unresponsive to anything, only a soft reset fixed it, but lost the message that came in.

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Its strange how some people have issues and some dont. I upgraded my 1520 a few weeks ago and no issues at all. In fact, better than 8.0. The hardware must be the same so am guessing many of the issues are the programs installed on the phone that is causing the problems. I would suggest, like many people. Soft reset first and see if it makes a difference. If not, you will have to take the plunge and hard reset and reload the programs and start again which I appreciate will be a pain (I would hate to do this) but it may be the only way to find the culprit app or apps causing the issues. Good luck and hope you sort it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro