Windows Phone 8.1 - Laggiest phone OS of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
And you are running 8.1 OS with 8.0 firmware.
Oh how quickly we forget the warnings and App Studio about DP.

You are not running Windows Phone 8.1. So, work on something else to complain about.

zephyrpawan

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Once apps have been updated for 8.1 these problems will disappear. Do you remember ios 7 when it first released? There were problems like blue screens of death! Lag on old devices like the ipad 2 and iphone 4. Even when the iPhone 5S first released, a blue screen of death occured when using certain apps. Stop complaining and wait for everything to be optimised first.

We will wait, no problem about that. What about others, especially those who want to buy a new phone, they obviously gonna opt for overhyped and gimmicky droids or iPhone and they boast about the features which they don't even use while we just keep waiting for enough features and snappier OS and app updates to arrive. What an irony!!!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My 1020 has pretty good specs and lags the same way he is talking about. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware. I think there is some bug in the software that causes occasional hangs when transitioning to other apps, etc. My home screen is completely random. Sometimes its just fine, other times it has a horrible delay and all my tiles are blank for several seconds. That would suggest a software issue.

The truth, not ****** ramblings. Resuming, loading screens are not figments of imagination but real on WP 8.1. Just because we like the OS doesn't mean we should be blind to its shortcomings.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
And I've done about 6 resets! All for different reasons.
Incidentally, my File Picker (yes, the API) is buggy .... I'm waiting for Cyan to give a full reset. I always do that after a OTA update.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
when installing 8.1 did you guys do a clean install? or did you guys install on top of? my 1520 with 8.1 dp cleanly installed, is really smooth. when the official cyan firmware comes out ill do another clean install. smooth as butter! my 920 with a cleanly installed 8.1 dp is as smooth as butter! this is with no optimized software!. when cyan comes for that i'll cleanly install it and I'm sure it'll be smooth too.

at some point the choices we sew reap. you can't have a 2 year old BUDGET PHONE, With a crappy sd card, 512 Mb ram, loaded with 50 plus live tiles all requesting fresh data, varying SDK builds, some software designed for 8, some rushed to be in the 8.1 release window, poorly coded apps, and no space left and expect a perfect lag free experience. that's not fair and it WONT ever work on any os anywhere. smh false advertising. you guys need to learn how to use your devices. and save some money and buy better phones! complaining about 8.1 on a BumAss phone that wasn't even designed for what your doing to it!

you sound like those trolls who are mad when windows 8 doesn't run well on their bumAss pc they bought when XP came out. well of course it wont run well it wasn't designed for it! sorry for the rant, ill sit down now.

Ok,
I don't know when Class 10 memory card called crappy but it atleast fulfill WP requirement.
and
It's not 50 it was 22 and now its only 1.(After hard reset , So now 2 hard reset in this month)

Are you seriously complaining about 512MB RAM. (Can you tell me how much RAM L630 and L530 have? and When WP become specs hungry OS?

Last edited:

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents on this....In the past 2 weeks I have gone from a Lumia 800 running 7.8 to a 925 on 8.0 and my yesterday my 925 officially updated to 8.1/Cyan. For me, 8.1 is quicker across the board than 8.0 and waaay quicker than 7.8. To be fair my Lumia 800 was getting a bit tired but it still wasn't what I would call lagging. 8.1 streets ahead of it though.
I guess the take home point is that performance will vary a bit across devices and of course our own personal expectations / tolerance of any lag

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Guess what iOS 7 lags on older iPads and iPhones. There is a reason Apple is so hell-bent on getting people to upgrade to the newest hardware - because they can't seem to make iOS run more efficiently, thus necessitating a huge new spend. Why does Apple not get hell for this?

iPhones and iPads get OS updates longer than most devices do. The iPhone 4 got updated to iOS 7 this year, and it was released in 2010! So tell me again how you came up with Apple being "hell bent" on getting people to upgrade?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
iPhones and iPads get OS updates longer than most devices do. The iPhone 4 got updated to iOS 7 this year, and it was released in 2010! So tell me again how you came up with Apple being "hell bent" on getting people to upgrade?

They knew the 5 series needed more for people to update, so they updated the phones with the most people?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Yea and ask any iPhone 4 user how ios 7 made their phone run...........:|

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people complain for the sheer sake of complaining. DP is just that, a preview. There will be bugs, freezing, apps not working correctly, etc. The Ativ S Neo has documented issues that will only be fixed with OEM firmware updates. To my hazy recollection there have been 3 updates to DP to fix a lot of the bugs. That's unheard of for a beta yet we find ourselves reading complaints. Does anybody here own a 630 which runs on the proper 8.1? If not, kindly STFU until you have the release version.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Laggiest phone OS? Really? I haven't noticed my 2 phones that are updated to 8.1 lagging in the least. They're just as fast, if not faster than when they were on 8.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
maybe we should wait for the "Official Windows 8.1" update and Lumia Cyan for Lumia users!! :) there's just no point in taking this conversation much far :p it will become just another thread where people are ready to grab and pull each others hair :p

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
maybe we should wait for the "Official Windows 8.1" update and Lumia Cyan for Lumia users!! :) there's just no point in taking this conversation much far :p it will become just another thread where people are ready to grab and pull each others hair :p
But we all know that Cyan isn't going to be everyone's "fix-all" and we know that the Developer Preview is the shipping version of WP 8.1...

I think it's safe to whine.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
By the way, has anyone tried unpinning the Cortana tile from Start to fix lag? Unpinned it and restarted the phone, now I don't see the resuming dots going to Start, Calendar and a whole bunch of system apps

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I reset my phone few hours ago.
Now I have only total of 23 tiles including 1 live tile.
And only 2 apps are allowed to run in background.

Problem is still almost same.

Anything else you want to say?

Of course I do, I always have a lot to say, especially when people rage.

And yes, you didn't get my point. My statement was not obviously related to you, but it's for you to decide either should it or not.

The most obvious example is the PC issue. Every and any single time, people start the complain with the words "My computer is not working, help me please", or "I got a virus, Windows is s#!t" etc etc. When you want to fix an issue, the very first thing you need to tell is WHAT did change right before the 'lags' appeared. You act pretty much like an average user, who is completely unaware about how they should use the phone properly.

P.S. Yes, sometimes there are software/hardware/firmware issues, I don't deny this. But when people are saying that their phones work flawlessly on 8.1, then it might be your local issue, not a global one...?

Last edited:

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Some people complain for the sheer sake of complaining. DP is just that, a preview. There will be bugs, freezing, apps not working correctly, etc. The Ativ S Neo has documented issues that will only be fixed with OEM firmware updates. To my hazy recollection there have been 3 updates to DP to fix a lot of the bugs. That's unheard of for a beta yet we find ourselves reading complaints. Does anybody here own a 630 which runs on the proper 8.1? If not, kindly STFU until you have the release version.
Yes. The DP is just a ' preview' like you're saying, but still the conditions of Xbox games, music, and video are terrible on All the phones, ie, on the phones such as 630, 930 running cyan update itself.

So to sum it up.- OS problem, firmware fault, app problem, Microsoft's fault.
The end.

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Only Android deserves the Title of the "Laggiest OS" . WP is way faster. If someone purposely tries to get a phone to lag then what can I say. Try it. All machines will lag. Open several net pages several office documents and keep a few graphics intensive games running in the background and transfer and copy data. Even a top of the line pc will lag.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
But we all know that Cyan isn't going to be everyone's "fix-all" and we know that the Developer Preview is the shipping version of WP 8.1...

I think it's safe to whine.

Yha its not going to be a fix for all
But it will bring the firmware upto the mark to run WP8.1 for every one
And yeah, it is the shipping version, but those shipped have Lumia cyan okay?
Lumia 630 works fluidly with cyan on board and it is almost the same as the phone used by OP.
It's dangerous to whine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss