Windows Phone 8.1 - Laggiest phone OS of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
No problems for 8.1 for me neither, although it is on a 1520, I am sure if there was any genuine problems, they would have shown by now. I have a 520 I use as a backup, once 8.1 is available on that, that should show up and problems more accurately I would imagine. Don't think I have experienced lock screen lag. What exactly about it is in BETA?

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So, you are not facing any issues?

You haven't notice slow down compared to wp8 ?

How do Xbox apps behaves?

Well I recently rolled back to 8.0, to receive Cyan w/o waiting for BitLocker fix.

Of course I had some issues on 8.1 DP. I remember first few days I had a couple of times the irresponsible screen to unlock. I had as well some "Loading"/"Resuming" stuff with Xbox Music, but I didn't almost use it. I sticked with MixRadio and I love it.

IMO the overall UX was pretty the same as on 8.0, the biggest difference I noticed are slightly different transitions.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
The thread title should be changed to:

"WP8.1 Dev Preview - most stable Dev preview of 2014".
Subtitle: "Xbox team need to do better"

Yes the Dev preview was laggy, but with the cyan update, it is a million times better.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Due to the added features of Windows Phone 8.1 some of the UI lag was to be expected however the Xbox Music and Xbox Video being laggy is unacceptable, especially when they were working just fine before.

What I've heard is that the lockscreen app noticeably lags on phones with 512 MB RAM but this was to be expected because it was never really meant for 512 MB RAM phones, Rudy Huyn is working on it and he has never disappointed and he is working on the lag issues (check his Twitter).

I really hope Microsoft improves multitasking though, the "resuming" dialogue is very annoying.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But we all know that Cyan isn't going to be everyone's "fix-all" and we know that the Developer Preview is the shipping version of WP 8.1...

I think it's safe to whine.

DP is NOT the release version. There are no OEM-specific drivers involved with it which is why some models have more bugs than others. HTC, Nokia and Samsung have their own camera firmware, for example. Please, at least know what you're talking about before posting as fact. There are many users here that may not be as well informed.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
DP is NOT the release version. There are no OEM-specific drivers involved with it which is why some models have more bugs than others. HTC, Nokia and Samsung have their own camera firmware, for example. Please, at least know what you're talking about before posting as fact. There are many users here that may not be as well informed.
so cyan is everyone's 'fix all' for 8.1 lol

Cravot

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Cyan does bring improvements, but it doesn't fix bad coding. If there is a bug somewhere that creates input lag on the start screen and nowhere else, cyan isnt going to fix that.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the start screen lag is just due to lack of firmware. The rest of the problems though, all apps badly coded mostly by microsoft. Lock screen app beta does have potential if the APIs are open to all devs but the xbox apps are just disgraceful. The three core apps on the phone, music, video and games, how can they be lagging of all things. I agree with the OP about lag, but throughout the whole OS, not really.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
There's no company that sells prototypes and it seems that most
WP users are those consumers who go online,read, word of mouth info go looking to buy just that PROTOTYPES!!!! Why dl a PREVIEW to the original and expect it to operate like the finished product. If it was completed it would have been dubbed "official" and not "developers preview". So whenever I read posts from people belly-aching about issues it's completely comical knowing that the reason there are issues are solely to correct what was released and future proof any updates or upgrades in the OS so that any current,former or future WP user looking to return in the case of (former) will know they will be returning to a solid, next gen OS that they will have 0 issues to speak of when campaigning the OS to any rival OS user.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
so cyan is everyone's 'fix all' for 8.1 lol

Cyan is for Nokia only. The DP is Microsoft's 8.1 minus OEM drivers. What is so hard to understand? To my knowledge, Samsung, Huawei or HTC have not named their respective updates.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
DP is just that - software only. Expecting retail, out of the box performance from a preview for developers, before OEMs can update firmware to go with it is stupid. If it's laggy, go back to a retail build until it's officially released for your device.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Cyan is for Nokia only. The DP is Microsoft's 8.1 minus OEM drivers. What is so hard to understand? To my knowledge, Samsung, Huawei or HTC have not named their respective updates.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
probably just samsung firmware update or htc firmware. Nothing extraordinary like bittersweet shimmer and cherry blossom or cool like black and cyan.

Vishnu Hs

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
No doubt Windows Phone 8 was great OS.
It offer very smooth user experience but it lacks features
But now
We have almost the the features we want but now OS is not offer smooth lag free experience as WP8.

Start Screen Lag
Xbox Music lag
Xbox Video lag
Xbox Games lag.
and
We have another new contender
Now even our Lock Screen lag.

We have all the official laggiest apps now.

I think
The problem is MS suddenly became serious about WP and launching too many beta apps one after another.
The only good recent app which MS launched is 'FILES". Which they forgotten after launch.(Seriously no updates in 2-3 months)

I think it's time MS should focus on quality not quantity.
No one asked Live Lock Screen.
but almost every WP users want that they have smooth,fast and fluid XBOX--- M,G.V.

Hahaha u r alone..im not experiencing anything..

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
No doubt Windows Phone 8 was great OS.
It offer very smooth user experience but it lacks features
But now
We have almost the the features we want but now OS is not offer smooth lag free experience as WP8.

Start Screen Lag
Xbox Music lag
Xbox Video lag
Xbox Games lag.
and
We have another new contender
Now even our Lock Screen lag.

We have all the official laggiest apps now.

I think
The problem is MS suddenly became serious about WP and launching too many beta apps one after another.
The only good recent app which MS launched is 'FILES". Which they forgotten after launch.(Seriously no updates in 2-3 months)

I think it's time MS should focus on quality not quantity.
No one asked Live Lock Screen.
but almost every WP users want that they have smooth,fast and fluid XBOX--- M,G.V.

I have many complaints on WP but my 1520 doesn't have any smoothness/quickness/fluidity issues. The only lag/stuttering i see is when i try to move a tile from bottom to upper areas of the home but i also have something like 3 or 4 pages on it and the fact that some apps (including some of those you mentioned) take a long time to open but that's been like that forever not since now. I mean, i have mentioned other times that while i need my Android device to compensate for the shortcomings WP has in terms of OS and apps, my Galaxy Note II is almost unusable due to lag and lack of smoothness etc.. WP for me is extremely smooth. In that area is the best experience i had ever. Maybe a hard reset may solve your issues, in part?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have many complaints on WP but my 1520 doesn't have any smoothness/quickness/fluidity issues. The only lag/stuttering i see is when i try to move a tile from bottom to upper areas of the home but i also have something like 3 or 4 pages on it and the fact that some apps (including some of those you mentioned) take a long time to open but that's been like that forever not since now. I mean, i have mentioned other times that while i need my Android device to compensate for the shortcomings WP has in terms of OS and apps, my Galaxy Note II is almost unusable due to lag and lack of smoothness etc.. WP for me is extremely smooth. In that area is the best experience i had ever. Maybe a hard reset may solve your issues, in part?

yeah the lag disappeared after I hard reset and didn't restore on my 620. I think the OP needs to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss