Windows Phone 8.1 - Laggiest phone OS of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It does and it should.

They don't and they shouldn't... ;-)

What does matter is actual performance and capabilities. Whether that is reflected by specs is a different question (sometimes they are, other times they are not)

We'd be in a better smartphone world if we judged devices by measuring how well they run apps and games, or compared picture quality (here we are doing better) rather than by numbers on paper...

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
They don't and they shouldn't... ;-)

What does matter is actual performance and capabilities. Whether that is reflected by specs is a different question (sometimes they are, other times they are not)

We'd be in a better smartphone world if we judged devices by measuring how well they run apps and games, or compared picture quality (here we are doing better) rather than by numbers on paper...

1. Performance is both HW and SW dependent.
2. Capabilities are both HW and SW dependent.
3. UX depends on everything (IMO this is what's the most important).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1. Performance is HW and SW dependent.
2. Capabilities are HW and SW dependent.
3. UX depends on everything.

Yes. And? Everything in computing is both hardware and software dependent. They account for almost everything. The only thing missing, which sometimes also influences the outcome, is the user.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes. And? Everything in computing is both hardware and software dependent. They account for almost everything. The only thing missing, which sometimes also influences the outcome, is the user.

The user factor influences only the UX.

My point was and still is that for WP specs are relevant.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The user factor influences only the UX.

I'd say the user has a huge impact on security. I'd also say that the photographer plays a vital role when it comes to picture quality.

Just for starters...

My point was and still is that for WP specs are relevant.

Just saying it doesn't make it so however. I explained why I disagree.

At best, specs are an indirect and abstract representation of a UX. At worst, they are downright misleading. Most of the time they exist to sell devices to low-information geeks, rather than to tell consumers something genuinely useful. Of course exceptions exist, but in general...

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Why don't we just go back to stone age.

Terrible rebuttal, while I admit I don't have 3/4 the problem others do with my 1520. The Xbox music app is atrocious. So his wanting to roll back to an app that was very well done is a good argument. Which deserves a good response. I honestly don't know why they don't, there may actually be real legitimate reasons. That however doesn't excuse the terrible app that is Xbox music at the moment.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Terrible rebuttal, while I admit I don't have 3/4 the problem others do with my 1520. The Xbox music app is atrocious. So his wanting to roll back to an app that was very well done is a good argument. Which deserves a good response. I honestly don't know why they don't, there may actually be real legitimate reasons. That however doesn't excuse the terrible app that is Xbox music at the moment.

You came to the wrong place for those. ;)

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok,
Are you seriously complaining about 512MB RAM. (Can you tell me how much RAM L630 and L530 have? and When WP become specs hungry OS?
no! you people are! just know my hd2 from 2009 came with 512 Mb of ram! this is 2014! I don't expect anything that couldn't run on my hd2 to be able to run in this post snapdragon era.

Cravot

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the amount of ram seem to be more an issue for the resuming problem than the lag problem? I think the problem for lag has more to do with the gpu and CPU, because when everything is loaded in ram in the resuming part, the ram wouldn't be a bottleneck in the startscreen right?

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The only, ONLY, read that ONLY lag I have on my phone is with the Live Lock Screen Beta
And ONLY under certain situations.
Such as, I have my phone set to not require a password for 30min
so when my phone goes to sleep and I go back to it some minutes later
I open it, get my tiles and it takes a few seconds to be able to use it.
But, this is ONLY because of the Lock Screen Beta, WHICH IS A BETA.

No, I have zero lag in anything, other than that which I mentioned.

This comes back to the Vista days, when people were buying cheap PC's with only 512mb of RAM
and expecting a super computer. you get what you pay for. Enjoy.

For the record,, I do not know what peoples issues are with xBox Music app
It works perfectly fine for me.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the amount of ram seem to be more an issue for the resuming problem than the lag problem? I think the problem for lag has more to do with the gpu and CPU, because when everything is loaded in ram in the resuming part, the ram wouldn't be a bottleneck in the startscreen right?

That all depends on how the app is configured in code to run.
And, weather something else potentially knocked it out of ram, or if something is running in background that is trying finish it's processes.
There are many factors actually, and it can be very hard to determine on a phone, PC's are easier to diagnose for these types of issues.
But it seems that the only ones suffering from lag or resume issues are the 512M devices.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
no! you people are! just know my hd2 from 2009 came with 512 Mb of ram! this is 2014! I don't expect anything that couldn't run on my hd2 to be able to run in this post snapdragon era.

But my Lumia isn't from 2009.
It's from 2013. ..
1.5 year old.

Didn't MS said they optimized wp8.1 for512mb ram.

Can you tell me exactly what is in difference between snapdragon s4 MSM 8227 and Snapdragon 400?

Because only thing I see as difference is core.( dual core and quad core)..

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But my Lumia isn't from 2009.
It's from 2013. ..
1.5 year old.

Didn't MS said they optimized wp8.1 for512mb ram.

Can you tell me exactly what is in difference between snapdragon s4 MSM 8227 and Snapdragon 400?

Because only thing I see as difference is core.( dual core and quad core)..

Just because it's optimized for 512 devices doesn't mean you can treat it like a 1 gig handset. I've owned 520s and 620s, you have to stay on top of your open apps. Forget about running more than 4 or 5 apps at the same time. Even a GS3 with 2 gigs of RAM will start plowing if you push it with graphic-intensive chores. You purchased a low-end device - don't expect a Cadillac if you paid for a Chevy.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Just because it's optimized for 512 devices doesn't mean you can treat it like a 1 gig handset. I've owned 520s and 620s, you have to stay on top of your open apps. Forget about running more than 4 or 5 apps at the same time. Even a GS3 with 2 gigs of RAM will start plowing if you push it with graphic-intensive chores. You purchased a low-end device - don't expect a Cadillac if you paid for a Chevy.
Sorry but I don't use the way you mentioned.
I know how to use wp. You don't need to educate me.
I am not talking about anything big
But when simply playing music takes 22-25 seconds then I don't think I am saying anything wrong about lag.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I never said you didn't know how to use WP but I think you have expectations beyond your device's capabilities. Video and audio are resource hogs and you should have known better. Thus endeth the lesson.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I never said you didn't know how to use WP but I think you have expectations beyond your device's capabilities. Video and audio are resource hogs and you should have known better. Thus endeth the lesson.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Lol!
I never thought you think so low for wp
Tell me an smartphone phone OS which takes 22-25 seconds to play music on 512MB RAM devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786