lumia 1020
WiFi & Bluetooth ON/OFF toggle switches become grayed out and unresponsive
"thinking" dots scroll atop screen for all eternity
can't turn off or on wifi/bluetooth

sc3.jpg

katiegal

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
(Posted elsewhere but I guess no one reads that thread anymore)

We have 3 Lumia 822's in our household and have been patiently waiting for the 8.1 update from Verizon. We found out last week that we won't get the update until we all have Cyan. We weren't familiar with Cyan so that took a bit of research, but it looks like without Cyan we can't get 8.1? So I called verizon and tech support told me that the 8.1 update is still in "testing" with Verizon and has been since April. He said his research does not provide any ETA for the update but he was able to confirm that 8.1 is NOT "compatible" with Lumia. Does this make sense to anyone here?

We're tempted to try the Developer Preview Program but I searched this thread for "822" and only saw one post. ONE! Are there no 822 users on here that have successfully downloaded (and are using) the DP?

I appreciate any information at this point. We love our Windows Phones but if carriers aren't going to support them, we may have to jump ship to Android. (We would NEVER jump to iOS!!)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
We love our Windows Phones but if carriers aren't going to support them, we may have to jump ship to Android. (We would NEVER jump to iOS!!)
Based on MS on-line documentation, it looks like Verizon is NOT going to update 822s to Cyan. But blaming carriers (plural) as a reason to not use WP is wrong headed.

Now if you love Verizon more than you love any phone and Verizon is an abusive carrier, you can only blame them and yourself for staying with them and them being that way. Other carrier's are rolling out Cyan for the 820 which the 822 is a Verizon variation of. MS shows Cyan as their current firmware for the 820 but Black for the 822. For carrier sold phones MS reminds its up to the carriers to approve and distribute updates.

But in the saner parts of the world, most people don't buy their phones from carriers so they don't get into these abusive relationships. For the GSM carriers, sanity is also allowed in the US for people who don't want to be abused or put on a hamster wheel of a contract that includes a phone. If you stay away from carrier versions of phones you can get updates the day MS releases them. That's not an option with Verizon but if you made that bed you have to lie in it.

You are right to blame Verizon if the 822 doesn't get Cyan because the only reason Cyan won't or doesn't get to 822s is because all 822s are Verizon and Verizon told MS not to bother.

wincrazy

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
any one have the bug like me, double tap function on nokia 730 is really bad, sometime it works, some are not, i see this functions normally on other old ones such as 525.

Last edited:

katiegal

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Based on MS on-line documentation, it looks like Verizon is NOT going to update 822s to Cyan. But blaming carriers (plural) as a reason to not use WP is wrong headed.

Now if you love Verizon more than you love any phone and Verizon is an abusive carrier, you can only blame them and yourself for staying with them and them being that way. Other carrier's are rolling out Cyan for the 820 which the 822 is a Verizon variation of. MS shows Cyan as their current firmware for the 820 but Black for the 822. For carrier sold phones MS reminds its up to the carriers to approve and distribute updates.

But in the saner parts of the world, most people don't buy their phones from carriers so they don't get into these abusive relationships. For the GSM carriers, sanity is also allowed in the US for people who don't want to be abused or put on a hamster wheel of a contract that includes a phone. If you stay away from carrier versions of phones you can get updates the day MS releases them. That's not an option with Verizon but if you made that bed you have to lie in it.

You are right to blame Verizon if the 822 doesn't get Cyan because the only reason Cyan won't or doesn't get to 822s is because all 822s are Verizon and Verizon told MS not to bother.

I don't know how my question ended up in the "bug" thread. I had two windows open for this forum, I guess I C&P my question to the wrong one. I apologize for that but really appreciate your reply.

We're not really devoted to Verizon but they do offer the best wireless coverage. Our plan is currently $240 for 4 lines (unlimited talk/text & we share 5 GB of data). I have a son off at college and coverage from there to here is very important, as we often travel through some pretty rough areas when we visit him or when he comes home. AT&T coverage would suffice but it would bump our plan to over $300 a month. :(

I don't know what to do. Our current phones all work just fine, we'd just like to have 8.1 and more importantly, Cortana.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
IWe're not really devoted to Verizon but they do offer the best wireless coverage. Our plan is currently $240 for 4 lines (unlimited talk/text & we share 5 GB of data).
I really feel for people who can't get coverage they need from someone other than Verizon and a few others like them (Sprint, Virgin?). But if someone else was close, I'd put up with less coverage if it didn't cost me business.

I'm glad T-Mobile has good coverage everywhere I go except for inside ONE office I visit a few times a month. There are a few spots I don't get LTE but that doesn't matter to me. My plan is $130/mo (with all taxes and fees) for 5 lines with unlimited talk, text and data. Only 2.5GB per line of data is LTE, but I don't recall any of us going over that.

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects - apps corner

I have a problem with apps corner which would be useful for me ... if only it worked.

01.jpg

This is my regular start page.

02.jpg

These are the apps I'm prepared to make available to people I lend my phone.

03.jpg

Here is what the start page looks like with only the apps I've selected through apps corner.

04.jpg

Whoever borrows the phone might opt to power off.

05.jpg

... and here's what they'd have access to if they powered on ... my Linked Inbox! :sweaty:

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

TheFireRed

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects - apps corner

Hi all, I've faced some kind of bug regarding notification sounds. I downloaded Telegram Beta just recently but when someone sends me a message, it plays the default WP notification sound instead of what I chose in the app. Anyone can cast some light on this?

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks, I recently updated my 1520 with the latest dev preview and also replaced Nokia Camera with Lumia Camera Classic. Now I noticed that the Photos app no longer plays back the living images (either from old or newly taken photos). They play back OK within the camera or storyteller app. Just not in Photos app. Can anyone confirm that issue? I posted a detailed description of this bug also at MS support forum... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...otos-app/590227ef-8d73-40ae-a67e-62fcbb623c66

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
DEFECT: Updating Battery Saver to the 'live' version (both app and OS update) screws up the Nokia display settings app. Normally, at less than 20%, the screen dims even more than at low setting, likewise turn off the softkeys. It doesn't any more. Icon.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My amazing weather or blue skies live title do not update after last update of developers preview....
Anyone else with this problem?

Edit, soft reset did the trick

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo