WP 8.1 stuttering

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone

Some thoughts on WP 8.1.

Why it just stutters like Android?
Why the keyboard reacts slowly and misses my taps?
Why using 3rd party apps like Facebook, Nokia Camera, Refocus, etc, are anything but a smooth experience?
Why some UI parts animate like my Lumia 930 has an Intel 8086 processor? (i.e. choices between multiple values, e.g. when selecting the camera photo resolution)
Is it because of WP 8.1's enduring preview status, or is this the new nature of WP?

I had an old WP 7.5 phone a few years ago, and that didn't show any of the issues reported here.
I couldn't make it stutter no matter what I was doing. It was a joy to use.
And that was with a paltry, 1 GHz single-core processor.
My Lumia 930 has 4 of them, clocked at more than double the speed.
I'd hoped I could enjoy using a phone again. Stutters and pauses are things I hate most, and not being able to sustain a fluid bare-bone UI like Metro, for a phone with computing power in excess than that of a ultrabook, is a shame.

thanks for your opinions

M0TH3R_FR4GG3R

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You want smoothness & NO STUTTER ?
Roll back to Lumia Black Firmware with Windows Phone 8, there are MILLIONS of bugs & Reports & each app laggs with the new WP8.1 update, & its a FACT, WP8 had no lagg or even a milli-second delay while opening/loading the Music Hub, Photos Hub, Games hub or anything else, now in WP8.1, each app takes 5 seconds to open & another 10 seconds to load/open my content & then mostly it crashes or hangs, utter bad update is what WP8.1 is, WP8 is butter smooth, I rolled back & I'm super happy again.
Maybe its because I have 3000+ Music files & videos & 5000+ Photos, but this should not make ANY BASIC things a smartphone must be capable of to lag, WP8 doesn't, but WP8.1 does !

Sad Fact, to introduce MORE & MORE FEATURES, they neglected & broke the features that already worked flawlessly & were unique to the OS, but now no more, also now its the same policy what Android has.. AN APP for each & every small thing, the uniqueness of UNIFICATION is also broken, there are millions of such smaller complains that actually made WP8 unique, are now gone with the WP8.1 update........ SAD !

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I rolled my 520 back, it was running like my ancient OG Droid. TaptaptaptapTAPTAPTAP #$%@&!

I'm not even sure where I'm going next. Android holds no appeal, iOS is hardware constrained to whatever Apple allows that year, and for the first time in 4 years I just don't care about WP updates anymore.

:(

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My 928 is almost toast. 9.5GB in Other Storage, and when I hard reset the old versions of apps or apps not published will be gone. THAT inclines me to switch out of spite.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I rolled my 520 back, it was running like my ancient OG Droid. TaptaptaptapTAPTAPTAP #$%@&!

I'm not even sure where I'm going next. Android holds no appeal, iOS is hardware constrained to whatever Apple allows that year, and for the first time in 4 years I just don't care about WP updates anymore.

:(

I'm in the same boat. My AT&T contract is up in November and I have no idea of what I'm going to get. Nothing looks good right now.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't the 930 come with Cyan? I don't see why it would be stuttering
Yes, the 930 comes preinstalled with Cyan.
I don't know the reason either, but graphically, it's a continuous stutter especially in 3rd party apps (but also some MS apps).
And the keyboard lags like hell. I can tap a letter and remove the thumb fast, and it hasn't registered yet.
I tell you more, just having a chat with someone with whatsapp or facebook (0.1% cpu usage, maybe?) turns the phone into an incandescent brick, which, being a programmer, tells me that something in the softkeyboard must be totally un-optimized for end use.
None of this happens with the 7.5 keyboard, with which I could type lightning fast.
It is reassuring to know that I am not alone. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of other 930 owners.

Some might say that I am hyper-sensitive, but I am just nailing it to organic causes, whereas others say "iPhone is better".

Finally, I just hope this all boils down to Lumia FW & WP 8.1 not being production quality yet.
Microsoft can't give up their great work in engineering an OS smooth-no-matter-what.

jbphillips2001

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 520 on Friday and it really started stuttering and lagging after the update but I've since fixed it and it now works just as good as it did on Windows Phone 8. To fix this problem, I first disabled Cortana via settings->appications ->Cortana. Then I went into settings->Applications->Internet Exporer and deleted my history there. It took awhile even though I do not use IE so I'm guessing that is where the update files are stored. After it finished deleting, I restarted the phone and restarted Cortana. I've used the phone all weekend and it's fine now. No stutters and no lag.

I hope this helps.

rcoplin67

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 has been getting hot and locking up since the Cyan/8.1 upgrade about a week ago. Thought maybe it was because FB no longer closes for me and runs in the background until I manually close it. But that is not the case. I also turned off NFC and Bluetooth to try and help. No dice. This is pissing me off. Was not having any issues prior to the upgrade.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
This stuttering Bluetooth in my car actually started with Lumia Black. It's been the same suffering ever since even through all the developer preview updates on ATT 920.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
8.0 only lasted a few days for me, im now on wp but I remember everything was really smooth, just as I expected, but now on 8.1 I feel like they are forgetting about smoothness in the sake of raw speed, the start menu for example, now just appears instantly with a bit of stuttering, it used to be slower but a pleasure to look at if you weren't in a hurry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb