Facebook chat integrated in messaging hub in WP8.1 GDR1?

Shikhar Chauhan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey, guys!
I just noticed this on the wp8.1 GDR 1 news post.
In the messages merging/forwarding feature screeshot, facebook chat integration seems to have been revived and is now in-built into the OS.
Is it legit?
Windows-Phone-SMS-Forwarding.png

Last edited:

WP8_Lover

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
The thought occurred to me too. I dreaded losing the messaging hub integration pre-update. But, after updating, TBH I like it this way. Why have multiple occurrences of the same? Messenger is good enough for me these days.

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So they are really bringing integration back. Though average user might get confused about the multiple instance of the same program. I hope they will sort something out.

adamfehres

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
To me that conversation read as we will speak on facebook not integrated into text chat... If it was a different colour or said facebook above the message I would agree with you.
sent from my lumia 930....

AbhishekSinha1601

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I too like the FB integration very much but recently it came in news that FB is trying to force people to use the messenger app. Its not even allowing to chat through the fb app(Even the Fb beta for WP and the android FB app has changed integrating the app to messenger). So let's see what happens. Fingers crossed

Prudhvi Raj

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
A small doubt.. Why is there a mark option beside the chat on Facebook block... Either this image should be just an edited screen shot to help users get an idea about how it should look like.. Or its just an old pic..

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The integration of messaging and all the other hubs is a thing of the past, so we'll have to get used to it.
The reason given, which is a good one IMHO, is that if FB or other app developers change how their code is handled in the app, then a massive rewrite of part of the OS would have to be done. This would slow down development and the OS and features would always be 6 months or more behind.

I miss those features myself, but the approach taken and reasons given for the change are valid....
I would much rather have an app update than have to wait months for an OS rewrite, which may or may not work correctly....

MrKlgs

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The photo seems to belong to windows phone 8. Look at the top, there's only clock. In WP8.1, there are also other signs like battery, wi-fi, vibration etc.

Allicit

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of the reasons given, integration needs to be brought back. Windows Phone was based and sold on the premise of not having a requirement to use apps, where the OS could provide baked-in basic functionality to access social media. Irrespective of the update schedule and problems with changes to social media coding. Microsoft needs to find a way to make it work effectively. Right now the phone feels like its taken a massive step backwards and away from the innovative paradigm WP was always based on.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of the reasons given, integration needs to be brought back. Windows Phone was based and sold on the premise of not having a requirement to use apps, where the OS could provide baked-in basic functionality to access social media. Irrespective of the update schedule and problems with changes to social media coding. Microsoft needs to find a way to make it work effectively. Right now the phone feels like its taken a massive step backwards and away from the innovative paradigm WP was always based on.

I agree. The coolest part of WP on my Lumia 900 back when it was first released was the fb integration in messaging and the people hub. That's what I showed everyone who asked about the phone. When I showed them how the people hub worked they were blown away. Unfortunately WP is becoming more like android and IOS as time passes.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
The Facebook Messenger app works pretty well for me. What's one more app on my start page? I did play with it a bit when I was still on WP8.0 but having it separate from the messaging hub isn't a big deal for me.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook Messenger app works pretty well for me. What's one more app on my start page? I did play with it a bit when I was still on WP8.0 but having it separate from the messaging hub isn't a big deal for me.

The Messenger app is a good looking app and it works well. It would be even better if it had a dark theme.

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Check this
8ypu9a8u.png

No fb integration is coming in gdr1 update
Sent from my RM-998_im_india_910 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member