No need to downgrade from DP (official)

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
So, do you need to downgrade from WP8.1 DP and get cyan and then join DP once you have the released version of WP8.1? Doesn't really say....

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thinking out loud, why can't we get Cyan yet ? Is it a carrier holdup or Microsoft's ?? If it's a carrier holdup why is there not a way around it ??

When we had wp7 there was the Zune unplug jump up and down and prey to the update gods, which got us around carrier holdups, why no special trick with Cyan

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thinking out loud, why can't we get Cyan yet ? Is it a carrier holdup or Microsoft's ?? If it's a carrier holdup why is there not a way around it ??

When we had wp7 there was the Zune unplug jump up and down and prey to the update gods, which got us around carrier holdups, why no special trick with Cyan

The thing is the Carrier Firmware Cyan is expecting the OS on the device to be a certain way... in this case WP 8.0 or WP 8.1 without bitlocker; So is it really a Carrier holdup? The work-around is a pain, but there are a work-arounds. You have two options if you have WP 8.1 DP that won't update:

1) Wait for a fix that has been mentioned a lot that is suppose to get you the Cyan Firmware with WP 8.1. Who knows when that will happen.

or

2) Downgrade your WP 8.1 DP to WP 8.0 and go the normal route with the Carrier OTA of Cyan which is followed by the WP 8.1 update. This of assumes that your carrier in your location has Cyan/WP 8.1 available for your device... if that is not the case, then yes that's a carrier holdup. :wink:

~ScottGeek.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The blog post on WPCentral says that Cyan is available for the 520 from AT&T but also says you need to downgrade to 8.

I haven't downgraded yet. When I do a "check for updates' the reply is "Your phone is up to date." So is the DP masking the flag for the Cyan update from AT&T?

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
The blog post on WPCentral says that Cyan is available for the 520 from AT&T but also says you need to downgrade to 8.

I haven't downgraded yet. When I do a "check for updates' the reply is "Your phone is up to date." So is the DP masking the flag for the Cyan update from AT&T?

Well not necessarily... AT&T is reported to have release the Update today for the 520.... I'd give it some time (a day or two) before thinking it's DP that is the cause of the problem.... If you don't want to wait, you could downgrade and then check for the update. AT&T saying that you have to downgrade from DP is just a way to cover all the bases, because downgrading does work.

~ScottGeek.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I was able to upgrade a 520 I have to Cyan + 8.1 yesterday. I had previously reverted back to 8.0 for other reasons, not specifically for the update. Had a couple of weird issues but in the end it went ok and the phone is now updated.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I was able to upgrade a 520 I have to Cyan + 8.1 yesterday. I had previously reverted back to 8.0 for other reasons, not specifically for the update. Had a couple of weird issues but in the end it went ok and the phone is now updated.

I wish !! I have an O2 720, no sign of Cyan yet, O2 twitter just point to a blurb about 8.1 on there site and refuse to answer if and when Cyan will be available, its like it is some kind of freekin military secret..

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You never needed to downgrade as it is not mandatory just optional and Cyan will be rolled out to the DP users after they have fixed the bitlocker issue. Which however could take weeks or months or days now (since we are now into August).

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I down graded DP and now have 8.1 and cyan. Lost 7 xbox games by doing that as it wont allow me to download them again (it was a promo by Nokia) so I wouldn't advice downgrading of you got games by promo offers as you may lose them. What I don't understand is why cant Microsoft release the code on the website. Then everyone can download the update at the same time

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
@Lumiamike O2 isn't at fault here. They've clarified

With ref to the WPCentral news item about O2 and 8.1, it appears O2 have cleared 8.1 for release but still have issues and might delay ?? Mixed results at best especially after we were told we will defo get 8.1 next week, all round its a mess

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
With ref to the WPCentral news item about O2 and 8.1, it appears O2 have cleared 8.1 for release but still have issues and might delay ?? Mixed results at best especially after we were told we will defo get 8.1 next week, all round its a mess

With reference to the O2 blog post. O2 has approved it and Microsoft is twiddling their thumbs (in a manner of speaking). Same with three UK and with CV variants as well

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3