Lumia 920 v Lumia 820 : The best value

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So I'm eyeing a lumia 820 for 130 euros and a lumia 920 for 160 euros , I know the lumia 920 is superior when it comes to the camera and the screen and onboard storage , but the 820 has a replaceable battery and an sd card reader . What do you guys recommend , oh and owners of 920 , is the weight really problematic? , or is it something you can get used to quickly ? And which phone do you guys gives the best value ( and yes where I'm coming from middle class people make about 10 euros a day , so those 30 euros do make a difference -_- )
Thanks in advance :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the 920's weight has been thrown out of proportion in my opinion. I'm no body builder, but still I don't end up thinking to myself "if only this phone was a couple dozen grams lighter"
I do feel one-handed use is tolerable, but still leaving much to be desired.

Do you think the
larger, sharper, gorilla glass display
OIS (superior camera)
built-in Qi
larger battery
more internal memory

is worth the
30 euro markup
loss of SD and a swappable battery
increased size (not by too much IIRC)

If it were me, I'd think its worth it (and my carrier just stopped selling the 820 too), but my circumstances are different.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The 920 it is then . The 1 reason I was suspicious of both was the support , since the 820 has a lower res , it would technically have a better performance , but I forgot how the 920 is wildly popular when compared to the 820 . let's just hope they don't through the wp 7.8 road again , the number 1 reason I'm getting a lumia is the synchronization between w 8.1 and wp 8.1 , and it would suck if they decide the 920 can't handle wp9 , but judging with the new 530 and 630 I believe it just might ;)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah you get used to the weight pretty quickly, online reviewers made such a big deal about it because they only held the device for a couple hours and they are used to the iphones weight.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 920 it is then . The 1 reason I was suspicious of both was the support , since the 820 has a lower res , it would technically have a better performance , but I forgot how the 920 is wildly popular when compared to the 820 . let's just hope they don't through the wp 7.8 road again , the number 1 reason I'm getting a lumia is the synchronization between w 8.1 and wp 8.1 , and it would suck if they decide the 920 can't handle wp9 , but judging with the new 530 and 630 I believe it just might ;)

the 820's graphical performance would naturally be a bit better, but I don't think its significant enough.

Well all things considered, 8.1 could reasonable be called WP9. I'm actually concerned because with more models released, that's more models MS/Nokia has to deal with and I don't know if they can eventually handle it all reasonably.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both. The 820's weight is very noticeable especially with the wireless shell. The 920 is a it odd on the weight though. Sometimes it feels light but most of the time it feels bulky.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
the 820's graphical performance would naturally be a bit better, but I don't think its significant enough.

Well all things considered, 8.1 could reasonable be called WP9. I'm actually concerned because with more models released, that's more models MS/Nokia has to deal with and I don't know if they can eventually handle it all reasonably.

And the more delays in getting firmware updates approved, most likely. I reckon the actual WP9 may have conditions like specific processor support or higher and 1GB RAM minimum, which would probably cut out everything below the 720 (inclusive), but the 920 and 820 are the oldest models to begin with - the 620 came along a little later and the 720 was released alongside the 520.

Who knows what the minimum requirements may be - they might decide that it has to either be dual core at a certain speed or faster, or just go straight to quad core only, much the same way they ended the WP7 line by stating WP8 required dual core processors and devices running 7 only had single core.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will be facing one big problem with next update. If they put some requirements for update people will go mad. 25-30% of WPs are Lumias 520 and some of the users don't care about updates there are many who do and would be so mad if MS drops support for their phones.
I have no idea what requirements would they do but I'm sure it won't be RAM because in that case also L 630 and 530 would be abandoned and they don't have balls to do that. I have a Lumia 820 which will be 2 years old right at the time of MS bUILD ( if it's again at the start of the April) so I will wait till than, if they update it I might end up using it for a while, if not I will be buying a new phone after 2 years.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
And the more delays in getting firmware updates approved, most likely. I reckon the actual WP9 may have conditions like specific processor support or higher and 1GB RAM minimum, which would probably cut out everything below the 720 (inclusive), but the 920 and 820 are the oldest models to begin with - the 620 came along a little later and the 720 was released alongside the 520.

Who knows what the minimum requirements may be - they might decide that it has to either be dual core at a certain speed or faster, or just go straight to quad core only, much the same way they ended the WP7 line by stating WP8 required dual core processors and devices running 7 only had single core.
I kind of doubt that , I agree that the 720 and below would be the first to be cut , but the 820 and 920 came out with hero status , that's why they'll probably be better supported . And with the 530 and 630 perform less overall when compared with the 820 and 920 and with the 1020 being considerably recent yet having the same internals as the 920 and 820 , add to that the relative popularity of Lumia 920 ( one of the most sold smartphones when it came out) , I highly doubt that MS would kill the 920 when W9 comes out , unless they do it for pure a******ness and yet another Wp 7.8 case which would be a PR nightmare once WP since lumia 920 sold more than the whole WP7 lumia series . Oh and the new low end tables and laptops running Celeron and atom can run the full windows 8.1 , why can't the internals of 920 run W9 which will feature a more optimized kernel .Well in a nutshell , it would probably go like this , " the new windows 9 requires EITHER a quad core processor , or a 1 GB ram ) requiring both would kill the 530 and 63x , and requiring the first would be illogical , and insane when considering the PR nightmare it would cause .

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Just my F***ing luck :'( seems like I'm getting neither ! This is the 2nd time this happens -_- , next time I find a good phone on the cheap I'm just going to go ahead and buy it instead of stopping and asking , since every time I do that it seems like someone else gets it. I'm seriously starting to doubt someone is stocking me on these forums and buying every bloody phone I want to buy :p

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just my F***ing luck :'( seems like I'm getting neither ! This is the 2nd time this happens -_- , next time I find a good phone on the cheap I'm just going to go ahead and buy it instead of stopping and asking , since every time I do that it seems like someone else gets it. I'm seriously starting to doubt someone is stocking me on these forums and buying every bloody phone I want to buy :p

Or you could go all shotgun and ask about all the potential phones that would meet what you want, and if you see it later, spring for it.

stui83

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Get a 925, the love this phone received for the cyan firmware is indicative of long term support AND admission that the latest run of high end lumias are not good enough yet to expect customers to move into WP8.1 off the shelf. If you wait till end of this year then there might be some decent new lumias but the 930 is just overrated. Most buyers are still going for WP8 stock, and until MS can resolve this with some more attractive handsets then they will have to keep supporting these lines. Yes I'm a little worried about the dual core processor, but I'm not going to pay twice the price for a lumia 930. If they go all 'quad core only' then I'll go back to android for sure.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Or you could go all shotgun and ask about all the potential phones that would meet what you want, and if you see it later, spring for it.

Well following your advice , I want a budget windows phone with 1Gb of ram , Which will probably be the 730 , but I'm tired of waiting -_- and plz don't give me the 512 mb is enough argument , because it's not . Even while the new QUALCOMM 400 performs almost as wells as the QUALCOMM S4 pro , let's face it the performance of the 820 + is a whole lot better than that of 63x and 53x .

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well following your advice , I want a budget windows phone with 1Gb of ram , Which will probably be the 730 , but I'm tired of waiting -_- and plz don't give me the 512 mb is enough argument , because it's not . Even while the new QUALCOMM 400 performs almost as wells as the QUALCOMM S4 pro , let's face it the performance of the 820 + is a whole lot better than that of 63x and 53x .

mmk, I wouldn't want 512 either.

HTC 8X's and Samsung's ATIV's are solid options (not brand new of course) and I'd snoop around eBay and whatnot. (I recommend the link I posted in the S Neo forum, looks like its a good deal.)

Also the Lumia 820, 822, 920, and 1320 (maybe 925, probably 928) probably would be able to fit in your budget too.

The 525 isn't too common, but has the 1 GB at a budget price. (new, however is a low end 520 in every other regard)

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I have a 520 that I use as a media player and while I think it's great for the $39.00 I paid, it's very sluggish compared to the 822 I use daily. I wish someone would make a WP that is about the size of the 520 with the guts of an 822 or better. I also agree with you about a removable battery and SD card support. Both are highly desirable in my book.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes