My thoughts on Updates/Flashing

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So, I used to be pretty heavy into Androids and custom ROM's and all that, so I am pretty used to flashing devices regularly. Of course, with Windows Phone, that's not really the case.

One thing I learned is that updates are great because, mostly, you don't lose data, apps and settings. However, sometimes I see some weird issues from updates.

Now, I know I am in a more unique situation with my 1520 since I used to be running internal Microsoft OS builds and all that, but one thing I found to be true with Windows Phone that I found on Android, if you update and have strange issues, Wipe and Restore.

So I installed a build a bit back and my Call Blocker stopped working. The app just opened and closed. No error. I had the phantom back button issue and auto-brightness had a mind of it's own.

I decided to wipe and restore my stuff. This worked, for the most part, but all was not fixed.

Just recently, I had to restore my phone back to retail, as my last day with Microsoft is tomorrow (Aug 01), I wasn't going to walk out with an internal build on my device. So I rolled back to WP 8.0 and let the updates come (Cyan and WP 8.1). Before I added back my Microsoft account and restored, I let everything settle and reset my phone. After all of the updates and flashing, doing the final reset and then adding all my stuff back, my phone has never run this good since the day I unboxed it.

I guess the moral of this story is, yes, resetting your device and having to put all your info back in is a pain, a royal pain, but if you have issues after a flash, just wipe and reset. More often than not, this will fix lingering issues from the updates and make you love your phone again.

This is NOT a Windows Phone issue, nor is it a Microsoft/Nokia/HTC/other issue, this is just a plain technology issue. I have faced these kinds of issues with Windows Phone, Android and IOS. That's the way of the world, let's just do this and move on. :D

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but sometimes it doesn't work just like that.
Most of the times it doesn't work like that.

Of course, there's nothing better than a FRESH OS. God I love formating my whole hard disk, wiping EVERYTHING and instaling plain Windows. Works amazing!

But I don't think a hard reset on WP does the same thing, I feel it only deletes a few user files, and if you somehow ****ed up the system, it doesn't "repair" it.
Hope I'm wrong, not only in this (wp) case, but in every one.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but sometimes it doesn't work just like that.
Most of the times it doesn't work like that.

Of course, there's nothing better than a FRESH OS. God I love formating my whole hard disk, wiping EVERYTHING and instaling plain Windows. Works amazing!

But I don't think a hard reset on WP does the same thing, I feel it only deletes a few user files, and if you somehow ****ed up the system, it doesn't "repair" it.
Hope I'm wrong, not only in this (wp) case, but in every one.

Just like on Android (and I can't speak for IOS), there is a recovery partition on your device that holds the compressed OS installation. When you do a hard reset, my understanding is that it does a wipe/reload. Also, if you use the Nokia recovery tool, that is a sure fire way to be sure you are doing a complete reload of the NAND.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just like on Android (and I can't speak for IOS), there is a recovery partition on your device that holds the compressed OS installation. When you do a hard reset, my understanding is that it does a wipe/reload. Also, if you use the Nokia recovery tool, that is a sure fire way to be sure you are doing a complete reload of the NAND.

Not quite sure about that eather.
I remember flashing my N8. It seemed preety much as it was reinstalling it over the old installation. It was a mess, it still is, however a lesser one since I managed to force a hard reset.
You never know with these devices today. That's why I hate all of them which are locked up and you can't do anything (unlike on a PC where you have FULL CONTROL).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium