Internet Sharing disabled by 8.1 (Lumia 925)

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It's exactly what the thread title says: since I updated to 8.1, I can't turn on Internet Sharing. Not that it doesn't work, but it can't be turned on. Trying to informs me that I need to upgrade my account. If I agree to, it brings me to a website that informs me that something is wrong, and it can't be done.

I'm on T-Mobile--which by default includes internet sharing with every data plan. And it worked, well enough, back on 8.0. So being sent to the website is clearly a nonstarter--something is wrong with the phone itself.

Well, after two days of running around, trying to solve this mystery, the best conclusion I could come up with is "If you update from 8.0 to 8.1, you lose internet sharing--at least on T-Mobile--at least with Lumia 925." Has anyone else experienced this? I'd like some confirmation so it's safe to say either 1) it's a known problem and a patch will correct it (Microsoft has been releasing a very steady stream of patches to address the long list of 8.1 problems) or 2) it's not a known problem, a patch may not be coming, in which case, I should try and restore 8.0 via Nokia tools.

(I was willing to forgive 8.1 for having really downgrading the music player experience, since the new functionality is very nice, but I really do need internet sharing--and buying another phone would be ridiculous.)

EDIT: To be clear, this is not the developer's preview, and I'm fully updated.

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that WP 8.1 is available on the 925 for Tmobile, at least if you're talking about the US. I am on T mobile USA with a 925 on developer preview 8.1 and my wifi tethering works better than it did on 8.0. Maybe try getting a new SIM card from T mobile or something.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that WP 8.1 is available on the 925 for Tmobile, at least if you're talking about the US. I am on T mobile USA with a 925 on developer preview 8.1 and my wifi tethering works better than it did on 8.0. Maybe try getting a new SIM card from T mobile or something.

Thanks for the reply, but it is available (as I said, it's not a developer version, and I got it straight from T-Mobile). Maybe it hasn't rolled out in your region? I mean, how else did I get it? The reps at the T-Mobile store felt it was already out too.

I got a new sim card shortly before updating to 8.1, so I'm almost completely certain it's not that--which is enough given that T-Mobile will not simply give me another sim card for free for something that is probably totally unrelated.

We can rule those two out.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I used the Nokia Recovery tool--twice, actually--and I found that, if I don't install updates beyond 8.0.10532.166...I have internet sharing.

(This is on an RM-892, which I've heard suggested will not get anyone Internet Sharing on T-Mobile because it's an international model).

So, I am completely stumped. So much for ruling out international model as a reason.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i havent been able to actually turn internet sharing on until the latest GDR1 update

but i get the upsell message when browsing, even when using a user agent switcher.

Alesandro Sanchez

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Internet sharing stopped working for me with the 8.1 update. It said it was on but no device could find it. But the latest update (with live folders) solved it. Have you tried it?

Diniy Moktar

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well my phone was connected to the laptop but when opening the browser it couldn't uploaded the search engines. How to solve this?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Internet sharing stopped working for me with the 8.1 update. It said it was on but no device could find it. But the latest update (with live folders) solved it. Have you tried it?

Is this a new update to the phone? Or to a particular app?

I recently decided to be daring (or stupid) and update my phone to 8.1. Internet sharing immediately broke. I tried using the Access point settings I'd saved from 8.0. Still broken.

Unfortunately, your problem sounds different than mine--8.1 simply refuses to accept that my phone plan has that feature (all T-Mobile data plans do). And so, I'm stuck again. If anyone can offer a suggestion, please do. I doubt T-Mobile will call me back anytime soon, with any answer besides, "Sorry, but we really don't know what's going on." like last time. I'll have to use the Recovery Tool again.

EDIT: Okay, I misunderstood you--Live Folder is a function of Windows Phone 8 GDR 1...which I'm not certain I have, come to think of it. I'm on an RM-892, Nokia 925, and it says 8.10.12393.890....with I think is still the Developer Preview (which is confusing, I never subscribed to the developer preview program!), and it says I'm fully updated. So...huh? What is the number of GDR 1?

EDIT EDIT: Well, I definitely do NOT have Live folder--dragging an icon on top of another one does not do anything, besides moving it. So...is my phone stuck on an older version? Is that why I'm locked out?

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe GDR1 is a Developer Preview too. It hasn't been officially released anywhere that I'm aware off. I'm using it on my Verizon 822 and my OS version is 8.1014157.200. Verizon still hasn't released 8.1 so I don't have cyan yet.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe GDR1 is a Developer Preview too. It hasn't been officially released anywhere that I'm aware off. I'm using it on my Verizon 822 and my OS version is 8.1014157.200. Verizon still hasn't released 8.1 so I don't have cyan yet.

Badcat, you're probably my best bet for getting this fixed before my trip to Washington DC for a stupid training seminar next week--if it is a matter of getting GDR1 anyway. I'd rather do that then nuke my phone again via Recovery Tool. So I just need to enter the free Developer Preview program?

EDIT: Okay, for some reason I assumed it was free...but I could be way off base. I had no problem installing the app, but I found that Microsoft's website wants me to register into the program to buy an app development license (which from what I remember on WP7, was kind of pricey). Is this the only way to do it?

EDIT EDIT: Well, I did it (I guess $19 was an okay amount to end this headache). My pone has been resting on "Checking for updates..." for a while now....I guess this is normal? If the program hadn't clicked, it would have reporting back no updates a while ago.

Last edited:

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, $19 and one update later--I have Live Tiles and the new update, but no internet sharing. Great. Guess I'll need to try and reset next, and after that, Nokia Recovery Tool.

And I thought for certain that would work.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
dev preview is 100% free :x

This is an odd issue, I have a L925 on T-mobile US, and internet sharing works perfectly fine for me. What is your current build number, my phone with 8.1 GDR1 is 8.10.14147.180 and I actually have an update pending, is your build number atleast as high as mine?

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
dev preview is 100% free :x

This is an odd issue, I have a L925 on T-mobile US, and internet sharing works perfectly fine for me. What is your current build number, my phone with 8.1 GDR1 is 8.10.14147.180 and I actually have an update pending, is your build number atleast as high as mine?

Well, I'm a fool for paying then (especially when updating didn't...well, fix the problem).

I am on OS version 8.10.14157.200...I just did a reset, still no internet sharing. I'm on a RM-892, what version of the Lumia 925 do you have? (you can find it under extras+info).

Badcat, if you've got any other suggestions, I'm still open to them.

EDIT: And...now the Nokia Recovery Tool doesn't seem to want to revert the phone back to 8.0. This is bad...

Last edited:

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
what, thats strange.. you try restarting both windows and your phone?

my phones an RM-893 model

I'm gonna clear some space and install the update on my phone, see if we end up on the same build number

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
what, thats strange.. you try restarting both windows and your phone?

my phones an RM-893 model

I'm gonna clear some space and install the update on my phone, see if we end up on the same build number

I restarted my PC multiple times for unrelated reasons anyway (it's a pretty old Windows 7 machine, with a 780i motherboard), so I'm going to confidently rule that one out. I also tried reinstalling Nokia Recovery Tool, no help either.

I suspect this is going to end with me pestering Nokia more for a handset that actually has working internet sharing--mine is in great physical shape, but T-Mobile has zero idea what's causing this, and it looks more and more like the responsibility is Nokia's area.

EDIT: My phone is also an RM-892 model. I wonder if that's the cause of all my problems.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile has not rolled out 8.1 + Cyan to any of their phones yet, are you sure yours is T-Mo branded and has the normal ROM?

Semi-related, I flashed my AT&T 920 to the French CV ROM a while back because you may know how AT&T was with releasing GDR2 + Amber. But anyways, I found it killed tethering when I got on Black. (I had it as part of my plan, the AT&T rep agreed i should have it, even with an unbranded ROM.)
However, when I upgraded to 8.1 + Cyan, it disabled my LTE but reenabled Internet Sharing oddly.

I suspect your phone doesn't have the normal ROM on it or something.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile has not rolled out 8.1 + Cyan to any of their phones yet, are you sure yours is T-Mo branded and has the normal ROM?

It's a RM-892--sorry, I thought I mentioned it was an unlocked international phone.

Semi-related, I flashed my AT&T 920 to the French CV ROM a while back because you may know how AT&T was with releasing GDR2 + Amber. But anyways, I found it killed tethering when I got on Black. (I had it as part of my plan, the AT&T rep agreed i should have it, even with an unbranded ROM.)
However, when I upgraded to 8.1 + Cyan, it disabled my LTE but reenabled Internet Sharing oddly.

I suspect your phone doesn't have the normal ROM on it or something.

That's possible, though frankly, I find it a little surprising than something that deep would be immediately changed by the normal, non-developer-preview Windows Phone 8.1 that Nokia was rolling out to unlocked handsets.

No one at T-Mobile has mentioned ROM flashing. I'd be happy to do it, but I don't know where to begin (I also have an account on XDA Forums, but they're not in the business of giving instructions to anyone who isn't already deeply familiar with it). I could probably find out the process, but finding the right ROM--and not ruining an expensive phone before I have a chance to resell it (likely what's going to happen)--is a frightening concept.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, it looks like Nokia can't fix it either--as far as they can guess, one of the updates broke Nokia Recovery Tool, so I can't even revert back to 8.0.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not very happy about this. Forget $19, now I'm down whatever the depreciated value of the phone is while I get a replacement that actually works like it's supposed to.

I'm thinking of skipping Nokia, obviously. Not a great experience with this handset so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb