Xbox Music Debacle: Why?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Power amp is fantastic for Android. Not sure how you can say there is nothing out there. Even the old free Winamp player for Android was better then what we have now with Xbox music for local collections.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just today I had to reload ALL of my personally OWNED music on my 1520. After the Update 1, Xbox music decided to start telling me that it "can't fetch rights" for my owned music. These are NON-DRM files that should have zero rights fetching associated with them. They should just play. In any music player. Period. Especially the one that is developed and endorsed by the same people that develop the OS for said app.

Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe how far they have to climb just to get out of the hole, let alone make any real progress.

I still can't search the store based on category (really? seriously?).
Music tagging with Cortana (and especially with 3rd party apps) STILL sometimes does not bring me to the store, or when it does, loads a blank screen and crashes the app.
Duplication of songs in playlists is still there.
Playlist 100 song limit is still there.
Metadata replacement happens without my consent (and is often times completely wrong) and there is NO way to change it.
App is still slow.

That's a list of pretty basic stuff that SHOULD work even when you have to "start over."

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Again... We're going over old ground here. As I pointed out in my post, the XBM team know the app is NOT good enough. Continually saying what doesn't work is not going to change anything.
Let's see what they have come up with in the next update before we start in with the same old reasons covered in a multitude of threads.

If you are not happy, try the alternatives....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As a XBOX Music user since it was still the Zune Music in name and all in WP7, we all know at this point what MS's faults were and what they did wrong. I stayed on WP7 for an extra year longer than I needed to just to stay on the Zune interface.

But the original post was a simple question as to why the XBOX Music was separator from the core OS. That question has been answered. Afterwards, we started to spiral into arguments. Please remember: Forums tend to be where people vent frustrations and that is fine. It is what we are here for. But, let us not slam each other. Offer other services as alternatives and let us solve the music app in our threads. Whenever I get together with a friend or my sister, we always solve the debt and most other world problems. I have no idea why they do not just take our solutions.

But remember, keep it civil to each other. None of us broke the silly thing.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Again... We're going over old ground here. As I pointed out in my post, the XBM team know the app is NOT good enough. Continually saying what doesn't work is not going to change anything.
Let's see what they have come up with in the next update before we start in with the same old reasons covered in a multitude of threads.

If you are not happy, try the alternatives....

Problem is still going on even after several updates.
I don't know what the hell XB team team doing because they aren't able to make app .........lets forget decent quality but ....avg quality in 4months.
Is XB is an app or disaster which taking sooooooo long to solve.

Until the problem solved their will be always users who will complain and nothing wrong with that.
And
About the alternative.
How about suggestions.
Better be free because I don't like to pay for apps which can only play music.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Problem is still going on even after several updates.
I don't know what the hell XB team team doing because they aren't able to make app .........lets forget decent quality but ....avg quality in 4months.
Is XB is an app or disaster which taking sooooooo long to solve.

Until the problem solved their will be always users who will complain and nothing wrong with that.
And
About the alternative.
How about suggestions.
Better be free because I don't like to pay for apps which can only play music.

You obviously know nothing about developing software. It's not a case of 'OK, we know what's wrong, so let's spend 2 hours bolting any old code together and release it. Problem solved!!!" Ther are so many more variables and reliant services. It has to be planned. That's why the XBM app is the mess it currently is....

As for suggestions, One Music, Simple Music Player etc.... Or here's an idea... try the Search button in the Store.
Or even try paying for the Music Hub Tile which uses the old Music Hub from WP8.

I'm not the one with XBM problems. Works just fine for me... Album art is low on my priority list so not missing those when they don't show a picture....

As for wanting everything for free.... 'You pay peanuts, you get monkeys....'

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They seperated it from the OS because it was almost impossible to update or add features.

My favorite part about this excuse that they give is how they say it was to update faster and bring new features faster, but what they really did is strip a bunch of features, and we're still without those things months later. If the people there had half a brain, they would have:

A. Kept working on this "new" version until 8.1 GDR2 (the earliest I see this being made into a usable app), while leaving it as a beta and keeping the old player as the primary one, or
B. Left the old player visible in the OS.

Instead, what I get for my local library is a bunch of missing album art, slower load times, no live tile, and a promise for bi-weekly updates, which has been broken on multiple occasions (20 days since the last update right now).

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My favorite part about this excuse that they give is how they say it was to update faster and bring new features faster, but what they really did is strip a bunch of features, and we're still without those things months later. If the people there had half a brain, they would have:

A. Kept working on this "new" version until 8.1 GDR2 (the earliest I see this being made into a usable app), while leaving it as a beta and keeping the old player as the primary one, or
B. Left the old player visible in the OS.

Instead, what I get for my local library is a bunch of missing album art, slower load times, no live tile, and a promise for bi-weekly updates, which has been broken on multiple occasions (20 days since the last update right now).

Thank you. Precisely what I was thinking. You do NOT release a BETA and overwrite the normal app. Facebook Beta does not hide facebook, MyTube Beta does not stop MyTube from working, BBm beta and BBM etc.
What frustrates me is that the WP8 app sucked for me as well and suddenly became perfect for me after GDR3 dev preview. I totally loved it then.
The XBM app and the music aappcould have existed concurrently and people wouldn't have complained much.
Personally I use music hub tile to play my music because I've got XBM Drm and the Music Plater doesn't know that the Audition should have an artist background

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
You obviously know nothing about developing software. It's not a case of 'OK, we know what's wrong, so let's spend 2 hours bolting any old code together and release it. Problem solved!!!" Ther are so many more variables and reliant services. It has to be planned. That's why the XBM app is the mess it currently is....

As for suggestions, One Music, Simple Music Player etc.... Or here's an idea... try the Search button in the Store.
Or even try paying for the Music Hub Tile which uses the old Music Hub from WP8.

I'm not the one with XBM problems. Works just fine for me... Album art is low on my priority list so not missing those when they don't show a picture....

As for wanting everything for free.... 'You pay peanuts, you get monkeys....'
"You pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Now pay ?80 a year or ?8.99 a month for this app and enjoy your expensive monkey

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Power amp is fantastic for Android. Not sure how you can say there is nothing out there. Even the old free Winamp player for Android was better then what we have now with Xbox music for local collections.

My comment wasn't that there wasn't anything out there for Android. It's there is too much (hundreds) out there and I was tired of sorting through them all to find a simple one without the tiny menu's. So in protest, I got out my old Walkman to try and go old-school, but the batteries in it exploded and it doesn't work anymore. My Foghat and Deep Purple cassettes got stepped on and were headed to the trash. Thanks and I'll try the Power Amp too.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And the dead horse continues to be flogged!!!

I know, you know, the XBM team knows... everyone knows.... Continuing to disect the XBM problems won't change anything, so why the debate continues.. God knows.

XBM is just a part of WP. Why the OCD behaviour?? The clue is in the title of the device: mobile 'phone'.... Everyone seems to have forgotten the phone part of the equation....

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

I know, you know, the XBM team knows... everyone knows.... Continuing to disect the XBM problems won't change anything, so why the debate continues.. God knows.

XBM is just a part of WP. Why the OCD behaviour?? The clue is in the title of the device: mobile 'phone'.... Everyone seems to have forgotten the phone part of the equation....

So everyone should stand quite, even though xbox music still dutifully charges my credit card every month?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So everyone should stand quite, even though xbox music still dutifully charges my credit card every month?

Bleat all you want, but what is it achieving... Nothing unfortunately.
As for the 'credit card' issue. that was your choice, and should be taken up with XBox Music service, which is not the same as the XBox Music app team...

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Bleat all you want, but what is it achieving... Nothing unfortunately.
As for the 'credit card' issue. that was your choice, and should be taken up with XBox Music service, which is not the same as the XBox Music app team...
Actually, the XBM team said we should bleat so they know what they can fox. And that they read the forums, on the interview. So letting them know we're still pissed is probably a good idea.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the XBM team said we should bleat so they know what they can fox. And that they read the forums, on the interview. So letting them know we're still pissed is probably a good idea.

Agreed, but continuing to bleat about the issues that have already been identified, a million times over, is counterproductive. It won't get them fixed any quicker.
I think people are misunderstanding the points I am making... Or they are deliberately being obtuse.

Anyway, I'm done here......

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

What's the point about pointing out 'phone'?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb