Bluetooth Funcontionality works FULLY now

Geerboy

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This could be a double post but for those of you that were as excited as I was to get Cortana working in your car like I was there was a helpful post a couple days ago that enabled you to use Cortana with your voice in your car fully.

Now this didn't give me everything that I was looking for, specifically I wanted the phone to read me text messages aloud when I got them, when I was driving.

It took me a little while to figure out but it all works fully now.

1. Make sure that you have your phone paired with your car and can make calls normally (this I never had an issue with)
  2. Make sure that you have Cortana stored in your cars phonebook under the number 555-555-9876
  3. Under Speech Setting in the Settings menu, make sure you have it set the way you want it..."always on" "Bluetooth only" " Bluetooth and headsets" "Wired headset only" or "off"
  4. Chose male or female
  5. I allow "speech above lock"...thats up to you
  6. And this is the big one that made it all work....You have to have text message banners enabled in "notificaions + Actions". I had mine disabled because I liked the privacy that it allowed. However in all my tests, when it is turned off the phone will not use the MFT mode, and doesn't seem to send a signal to the car letting it know that you got a text. With banners on it works without fail for me now.

Hopefully this is not a double post because that was not my intension, I did all kinds of searching before writing this to try and figure it out with no success. But now that it works I can utilize my phone in my car to do nearly anything that I can do while holding the phone.

-Send texts (voice dialing Cortana, and well you can probably figure the rest out)
-Make phone calls, either using Cortana to dial for me using the above step, or using the phonebook stored in my car (Unfortunately I could not figure out how to actually push my entire phonebook over to the car, so I had to just manually enter the ones I call all the time)
-Get directions, and any of the other plethora of features that Cortana packs (including telling me a joke)
-Find anything on the map just like I can sitting on my couch with Cortana
-And the phone, when I get a text reads the texts to me VIA Cortana, through the car speakers

I drive a 2014 Subaru Outback for those of you wondering and I am using the Nokia 928 on Verizon with the developer preview 8.1 (latest update that came out yesterday or day before). Just wanted to give back to this forum, due to you guys giving me so much. This was an issue that was really bugging me that I couldn't do, and with all the laws around cell phone usage, and my constant barrage of texts while i'm driving, it has become a much needed feature.

Hope this helps somebody.

Justin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb