I'm on the Lumia 1020 running the latest from the dev preview, 8.1 update 1, and went to the website m.ign.com and on the top of the screen asked me to download the app from the google play store! Is windows phone getting the play store?
    08-07-2014 04:25 PM
    Nope. It's due to what the site is identifying your browser as.
    08-07-2014 04:29 PM
    Nope. It's due to what the site is identifying your browser as.
    Yep same with twitter
    08-08-2014 12:38 AM
    IE is pretending to be Google Chrome in order to get pages to display correctly. Its spoofing the user-agent string. You'd might as well get used to it.
    08-08-2014 01:01 AM
    As far as I'm concerned its ridiculous that MS has to cheat in order to display the websites properly...
    haikallp likes this.
    08-08-2014 06:22 AM
    IE is pretending to be Google Chrome in order to get pages to display correctly. Its spoofing the user-agent string. You'd might as well get used to it.

That's going to go down real well with new users to the platform....
    08-08-2014 06:33 AM
    It is more that Google is lazy in not using industry standards to format & display web pages.
    08-08-2014 06:22 PM
    It is more that Google is lazy in not using industry standards to format & display web pages.
    You're not getting it. Chrome displays the web pages correctly, IE doesn't. That's why IE is is spoofing Chromes user-agent string. I'm not sure how you got "Google is lazy" out of what's happening here, other than hating on Google is trendy around these parts. C'est la Vie
    Arka1412 likes this.
    08-09-2014 02:51 AM
    It's more a case of them trying to force their standards onto others, instead of following the industry standards.
    08-09-2014 12:45 PM
    It's more a case of them trying to force their standards onto others, instead of following the industry standards.
    Wrong still.
    Basically in the old days of Internet Explorer 6/7, it rendered things wrong.. very wrong, so sites would make an IE specific version that would render correctly on it, skip ahead to Internet Explorer 9/10/11, Internet Explorer has gotten incredibly more accurate at rendering these sites, problem is, websites still treat IE like it doesn't know how to render webpages, which in return sends broken webpages to our phones, what update 1 did was made IE pretend to be chrome so that it didn't get sent the broken versions of the web.

So if anything its a case of IE's past haunting its future.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    08-09-2014 01:13 PM
    ...in the old days of Internet Explorer 6/7, it rendered things wrong...skip ahead to Internet Explorer 9/10/11, Internet Explorer has gotten incredibly more accurate at rendering these sites...So if anything its a case of IE's past haunting its future.
    Agreed, but the complaint is that IE9 came out in 2011. How long will it take for web devs to recognize and deal with the change?
    08-09-2014 02:08 PM
    I can see why this would be good thing in that we get proper versions of websites but at the same time when you visit a website that asks if you want to download the app its going to take you to the play store instead of the wp store.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-09-2014 02:13 PM
    I can see why this would be good thing in that we get proper versions of websites but at the same time when you visit a website that asks if you want to download the app its going to take you to the play store instead of the wp store.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Yeah it's totally retarded. I wonder how MS is going to fix this.
    08-09-2014 02:22 PM
    What's with calling everyone lazy that doesn't drop everything and turn their development lives over to WP? Google is lazy, developers are lazy, businesses that don't provide WP apps are lazy... because they don't focus 110% on WP. Really? Is laziness the problem?

Basically in the old days of Internet Explorer 6/7, it rendered things wrong.. very wrong, so sites would make an IE specific version that would render correctly on it,
    Ha, that reminds me of this article I read a couple years ago.
    08-09-2014 03:47 PM
    I can see why MS did this, but it is terribly annoying, and forces the point home further that there is so many apps not available on the windows store.

So MS improve the readability of certain websites, but shoot themselves in the foot at the same time, as you start realising that there is more apps not available than initially thought.
    08-16-2014 05:00 AM
    Good thing that all this is still in development stage only... Hopefully it's rectified in the official release to either remove the annoying ads or at least redirect us to wp store
    08-16-2014 05:35 AM
    Good thing that all this is still in development stage only... Hopefully it's rectified in the official release to either remove the annoying ads or at least redirect us to wp store
    What are you talking about? It's officially released.
    08-16-2014 07:02 AM
    Yeah it's totally retarded. I wonder how MS is going to fix this.
    Bet you Microsoft doesn't actually do anything but ignores it completely.
    08-16-2014 07:11 AM
    What are you talking about? It's officially released.
    Meant released for DP only.... hopefully its smoothened out by the time it is officially released (for non-DP)
    08-16-2014 01:32 PM