Negative attitude towards Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Its because of the Negative Attitudes towards MICROSOFT. PC, Phone, XBox (One) are all suffering not just the phone.

I blame Steve Ballmer for this negativity. He really blew the last 7 years with bad decision making in addition to his embarrass statements about Apple products and Android. Hopefully Nadella can be the anti-Ballmer and heal things.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The resentment for MS has been around for a very long time. Even from the DOS days. MS has had a monopoly on OS for a very long time and being the the most popular means you get the most criticisms. They had some major issues with some of their past OS's and that really upset a lot of people. Add in their OS is the biggest target of hackers and you start to understand where people get their attitude from.

There's always been an attitude in the IT industry to either love MS or hate it with a passion. Before Apple became popular again, the haters were and still are Linux. Now that Apple has become popular the attitude has shifted to there with a larger crowd, most disenchanted with MS.

Let's face it, MS record isn't clean. They've been bullies themselves in the past and just as much as people on here go on about Google, people felt and still feel the same about MS. A big, slow moving, conglomerate who wants to control everything. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

So it's very ingrained and I don't see it moving away any time soon. I think using the Windows name might have been a mistake with the phone but then there are those who think differently. Once we get to Threshold we can see if the ideas work and maybe attitudes will change. At this stage however WP is barely a blip on the radar and has virtually no traction in the enterprise sector. Until this changes expect this attitude to continue. Then again, it will continue regardless.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows as a whole needs a name change after windows 8(not 8.1) too many mistakes made. Too many bad memories with that name. Windows should definitely change it's name for threshold in my opinion.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
You need to understand that Apple is the king of marketing. A key aspect of marketing is appealing to the intellectually challenged. So while everyone who uses an iPhone is not intellectually challenged and could be quite smart, if someone is intellectually challenged they are more likely to use an iPhone than a phone with weaker marketing. Therefore a higher percent of iPhone users are intellectually challenged than other types. This explains the negative ignorance. You will find the intellectually challenged iPhone users are just as stupid about other products they use.

Someone who wants to compete with a serious competitor doesn't immediately say that the users of "Product X" are idiots. People who condescend to that level usually don't last very long in the marketplace. For instance, I used an iPhone since they were released until 3 weeks ago when I got a Lumia 1520 (which I love, other than the app situation). Evidently, I'm intellectually challenged. Or, I was for about 7 years. And my wife still is.

I think iOS and iPhone are great products. So is OS X. I happen to like WP better at this point - but you would think having about 4% of the US market would breed humility, and not condescension.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You need to understand that Apple is the king of marketing. A key aspect of marketing is appealing to the intellectually challenged. So while everyone who uses an iPhone is not intellectually challenged and could be quite smart, if someone is intellectually challenged they are more likely to use an iPhone than a phone with weaker marketing. Therefore a higher percent of iPhone users are intellectually challenged than other types. This explains the negative ignorance. You will find the intellectually challenged iPhone users are just as stupid about other products they use.

Evidently, I'm intellectually challenged. Or, I was for about 7 years. And my wife still is.

I think iOS and iPhone are great products. So is OS X. I happen to like WP better at this point - but you would think having about 4% of the US market would breed humility, and not condescension.
I would never question your intelligence. Reading comprehension might be another story (see bold above). Also I never even hinted that Apple products are not excellent.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Windows as a whole needs a name change after windows 8(not 8.1) too many mistakes made. Too many bad memories with that name. Windows should definitely change it's name for threshold in my opinion.

To be called "You know, the program that uses to be windows?"

It's far too late for any name change.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Why the negative attitude towards Windows Phone? ...because it's easy to be an uninformed a-hole trying to be clever. If people were any better than the world wouldn't be so f-ed up. One way to counter it is to actually message what Microsoft's about in a general sense, e.g. "Microsoft...Saving Lives" and showing physicians using Kinect or "Microsoft...Connecting Worlds" and showing Skype with universal translation, etc. Just get people to know that Microsoft's more than about Windows and Office, and maybe, just maybe, the a-hole-ness may simmer down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss