Install Cyan for a basic User?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The 620 I ordered for my dad got delivered today and i am thinking If I should install Cyan on it now, wait until his more proficient with WP or leave it as it is?

My dad is finally giving up his beloved feature phones and upgrading to a smartphone :cool: . therefore currently a extremely basic user.

He has recently tried out my 920 for a few hours with a very simplified start screen (I felt like a modern caveman with out my phone :crying: can't believe how disconnected I felt :shocked: lol) and since I couldn't live without my phone, he went back to the S2 that my older gave to him previously (which is why I gave him my 920 to trial out, get 'em early before they turn I say!:winktongue: ).

So what do you guys think? Should I install cyan, wait until he gets used to WP or leave the phone as it is?

Also what is the battery life like on the 620 with Cyan?

More info:

This what the phone currently is on:

About Screen.jpg wp_ss_20140811_0003.png

If any one is interested this what a fresh phone on windows 8 update 1 looks like (in terms of space used)

wp_ss_20140811_0001.png

One of these two layouts will be his start screen, will let him pick his preference
wp_ss_20140811_0007.png wp_ss_20140811_0008.png

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Let him loose on it as-is, but turn off automatic downloading for updates. Though saying that I don't think Cyan will be released on that for a good while yet, as that's the one I have.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Let him loose on it as-is, but turn off automatic downloading for updates. Though saying that I don't think Cyan will be released on that for a good while yet, as that's the one I have.

I see, the update is available for the 620 and unfortunately even if automatic download is turned off - you still get the notification an update is available. I get one for the GDR 1 update once a day.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Really? It's not showing on mine (and it's not currently running Preview). How peculiar....

Edit: Just checked my phone for comparison - that one you have there doesn't appear to have Black installed, and my OS version is slightly higher. Maybe that's the update it wants to install?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Really? It's not showing on mine (and it's not currently running Preview). How peculiar....

Edit: Just checked my phone for comparison - that one you have there doesn't appear to have Black installed, and my OS version is slightly higher. Maybe that's the update it wants to install?

My bad, I was actually refering to the Nokia website, Availability in Europe - Nokia

After going through a quick run down with my dad, he kept getting confused how to close apps via the back button (can't say I blame him) so I decided to update.and get him upto Lumia Black so he can close apps via the x button (which is much simpler to remember, as you can't miss that big X :winktongue: )

These are the updates that got pushed to the phone
wp_ss_20140811_0009.png

Then this batch when I checked again for updates
wp_ss_20140812_0004.png

The firmware version received is strangely higher than what is listed (Lumia 620 - Country variant - 3056.40000.1404.0004) as the latest update available on the Nokia Update Tracker page. All updates where done via Wi Fi with no Sim inserted as still awaiting on the Micro Sim, plus no apps or system apps were updated .
wp_ss_20140812_0008.png

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yea I found that the store didn't update apps until after a couple of days.. I ended up using Sysapp Pusher to do it myself.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't update the system apps on purpose just to check what the implications are with just updating the O/S + Firmware :winktongue:

Avro504

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If the update is available I see no reason why you wouldn't install it. He will then not have to relearn anything.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If the update is available I see no reason why you wouldn't install it. He will then not have to relearn anything.

Yes i agree.
Just upgrade with the casual updates.
No Developerspreview.....not yet, that would only confuse him.
Just let him play around and let him find his own way.
He pick it up soon enough

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

The update is only available on Carrier branded 620s, in this case branded & running on O2 firmware.

Battery life is more important than features as he is a very basic user, I wasn't sure what the implications would be running lumia black however he has been upgraded to Lumia Black. As closing apps via the back button was incredibly confusing for him (i.e back once to go back with-in the app, twice or more to close whereas some apps would close when tapped on once).

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The update is only available on Carrier branded 620s, in this case branded & running on O2 firmware.

Battery life is more important than features as he is a very basic user, I wasn't sure what the implications would be running lumia black however he has been upgraded to Lumia Black. As closing apps via the back button was incredibly confusing for him (i.e back once to go back with-in the app, twice or more to close whereas some apps would close when tapped on once).

I got bored the other night and slapped the Italian CV onto mine - regarding battery life I've not seen much of a difference. But then again the 620 didn't have an amazing battery life to begin with.... 1300mA is woefully underpowered for what the phone has.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I got bored the other night and slapped the Italian CV onto mine - regarding battery life I've not seen much of a difference. But then again the 620 didn't have an amazing battery life to begin with.... 1300mA is woefully underpowered for what the phone has.

Have you tried any of the Mugen extended battery packs?

What is the average charge to charge time? 1 to 2 days?

The reason I ask, is because have not had a prolonged experience with any of the low end lumia's to make a proper assessment on battery life (can only guessitmate). I want my dad to have a decent experience, he is really struggling with the GS2 (still awaiting on that micro-sim).

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried any of the Mugen extended battery packs?

What is the average charge to charge time? 1 to 2 days?

The reason I ask, is because have not had a prolonged experience with any of the low end lumia's to make a proper assessment on battery life (can only guessitmate). I want my dad to have a decent experience, he is really struggling with the GS2 (still awaiting on that micro-sim).

Probably a day at most, if I hardly use it. Barely used it today and it's lost 27% from a full charge since 10 this morning. If I keep I just check stuff every now and then it could possibly last until morning. Got glance and double tap to wake turned off already, as I don't use them anyway.

I would see how his usage is over a few days and decide from there if you feel the Mugen battery is needed.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's been a couple of days, he is still trying to get a hang of the UI and processes as before he could simply press a button to end a call. However now there are few processes he has to go through say for instance he pressed the windows key and the sms app by mistake. I have showed him if that happens, all he needs to press bar at the top of the screen (a few times now).

One good thing to note, was that he actually sent me auto text reply (as he was tied up with something) when I tried he call him yesterday. Even though I did not show him how to do that.

In regards to the charge to charge to time, today is the first time he has charged the phone.. I deliberately kept the charger lol. Bearing in mind, everything is turned off except Cellular Data (Set to highest Speed) and the only app installed & pinned is the myEE app.

It is going to be another few days before my next update lol.

PS.
I forgot to mention he has pinned the people he calls regularly onto his start screen. (That I showed him once).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Its been awhile since my last post and having watched my dad use the L620 for awhile It is probably best for him to downgrade down to a basic phone like the Nokia 106. Now & then he asks the same questions in how to do something, today he asked how to take a picture (again). Not too long ago he got frustrated that the contact list didn't come up when he opened the people hub, as he had accidentally swiped to the rooms / groups view. So when opened the people hub again it launched in that view every time.

I asked him if wants to go back to what he was using and he said no - the reasons are pretty obvious.

Oh yeah, I did install cyan in the end for him as he wanted to know how to speed dial someone via the dialer and even he remarked how silly it was not being able to smart dial whilst in the dialer... I sure hope they add this in the next update.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
As for speed....you can always pin your most important contacts to the home screen and with the dev prev of 8.1.1 you can even group them. Just a thought ;)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As for speed....you can always pin your most important contacts to the home screen and with the dev prev of 8.1.1 you can even group them. Just a thought ;)

Good idea!
The only snag is denim will take awhile to get pushed out officially... I don't want my dad getting annoyed by the "perks" (as in bugs) of pre-official release software :p.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Perks ? As in issues?
No he won't even notice the diverance.
I have a 1320 and a 520 both running great under the preview.
Just give it a try, if it is not succesfull you can always step back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720