Help needed on downloading here maps in background

Vishnu PG

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, how to download maps in the background for this app?, when the phone is locked the app stops/pauses downloading the maps, and every time i have to give the resume download option, time taken for certain large maps like the whole of India 1023 MB would be large, cant expect the phone to be not under lock screen during the process , even smaller maps like individual state maps for my country are in the 100 + mb for certain states, i have a 512 kbps connection, wifi router , Lumia 630 wp 8.1 cyan. Help would be appreciated .

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The answer is do it over WiFi and I would if I was you turn the brightness to low (just incase as you dont want it draining your battery or even damaging your screen) and yes set screen not to time out its the only way it will download it unfortunately.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
The answer is do it over WiFi and I would if I was you turn the brightness to low (just incase as you dont want it draining your battery or even damaging your screen) and yes set screen not to time out its the only way it will download it unfortunately.
The highest time you can stop the screen from timing out is 5 mins. I wonder why MS hasn't given an option of more than 5 mins or unlimited.

You have to keep the download active as of now. There isn't any way of downloading it in the background.

Vishnu PG

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
whoa, and here maps has been around for how long?, nobody missed this feature and nokia did'nt care ?, anyway thanks stickyshocker for the info, Lance_Wpcentral there is an 15 min or 30 min option in my lumia 630, u don't have?, what version and phone u are using?

Last edited:

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
whoa, and here maps has been around for how long?, nobody missed this feature and nokia did'nt care ?, anyway thanks stickyshocker for the info, Lance_Wpcentral there is an 15 min or 30 min option in my lumia 630, u don't have?, what version and phone u are using?

Also a never option!

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey! The maps can be downloaded under lock screen. Its ridiculous to expect one to keep the screen on if you want to download whole of India. You can download under lock screen. I have tested it . Download many maps myself . It just doesn't download in the background.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Download it on Wifi, Keep WiFi alive under lock screen (option in settings > Wifi) and start map download. this continues download under the lock screen, provided your wifi is ON.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey! The maps can be downloaded under lock screen. Its ridiculous to expect one to keep the screen on if you want to download whole of India. You can download under lock screen. I have tested it . Download many maps myself . It just doesn't download in the background.

I couldn't get it to work with the beta of the live lockscreen app installed. Once I removed the app (including doing the Kids Corner thing to release it), it went back to letting me download under the lock screen.

The available timeout options on my L920 with 8.1 Update 1 on Black are 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and never.

Vishnu PG

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Can you post a howto on this?, it would be helpful for many ,especially in INDIA

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
There is a never option in certain phones but that's ROM dependant. Either way, maps cannot be download in the background neither under locked screen. So if your phone locks after 5 minutes your download stops/pauses

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
for me on L1520 its downloading under lock screen like Vishnu has written. Wifi was on and i have downloaded europe, about 4.5 GB

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The highest time you can stop the screen from timing out is 5 mins. I wonder why MS hasn't given an option of more than 5 mins or unlimited.
I think it varies by phone and maybe even carrier and software versions. I'm pretty sure my 925 only let me set up to a few minutes (maybe 5) but my 1520 lets me set it to never.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720