[Resolved] Thank You MS...for losing all my data!

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Just wanna say thank you dear MS, for your cyan update, because restore function doesn't work, and I've lost all of my previous data. I tried to restore it about 10 times, but it always stucked at 25% and goes nowhere. This function has worked properly before cyan update, what the hell happened?? So thank you again! :eck:

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why would you need to restore something after updating to Cyan in the first place? It doesn't delete anything off of your device.
Or did you do a hard reset after updating to Cyan and wanted to restore a previously performed backup? If so, was that backup made directly after updating to Cyan? Or has it been made before that? If that's the case, restore won't work, as the OS versions are different.

Lackooo

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I was on dp 8.1 gdr1 (made a backup there), then I went back to 8.0 to install 8.1 + cyan, and installed dp 8.1 gdr 1 again. Yes, I did HR several tries, but it didn't help. But after I wrote this post intresting things happened... My restore stucked at 25% again, but now I didn't just take out the battery and did a HR again like before, just pushed 'cancel" button, then the 'factory' start menu has loaded with basic tiles. After that my backed up apps and settings just came up from nowhere, and my phone started downloading them, my settings, start tiles, and sms's have been restored by 100 percent too... Btw am happy to not lost my data. So this "stuck at 25%" thing just a bug, nothing else. Push cancel, and you'll be restored. MS please fix it.

Ashwani Chaudhary

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
cyan is something that was hyped but now its not living up to its hype.man oh man why MS did this, we were happy with a solid running WP8 instead of a buggy and shortfalls on options WP8.1. God come on Satya Nadella didnt u noticed the difference

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
If you use Developer Preview, you must be somewhat responsible for the things you do. As far as I remember DP suggests that you will get new factory version when it appears.

So, you did something else. Well it is up to you to get proper information if you don't want to do it on suggested way.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I was on dp 8.1 gdr1 (made a backup there), then I went back to 8.0 to install 8.1 + cyan, and installed dp 8.1 gdr 1 again. Yes, I did HR several tries, but it didn't help. But after I wrote this post intresting things happened... My restore stucked at 25% again, but now I didn't just take out the battery and did a HR again like before, just pushed 'cancel" button, then the 'factory' start menu has loaded with basic tiles. After that my backed up apps and settings just came up from nowhere, and my phone started downloading them, my settings, start tiles, and sms's have been restored by 100 percent too... Btw am happy to not lost my data. So this "stuck at 25%" thing just a bug, nothing else. Push cancel, and you'll be restored. MS please fix it.

Went thru the same thing recently after a phone reset (Lumia 521)
Restore stalled at 25%...when cancelled everything returned to the previous set-up before resetting.

Posted the bug:
Windows Phone - Microsoft Community

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yea i think also the backup of wp is far from perfect.
It just backing up parts of your phone.
It just reinstalling the apps from the store, apps who are discontinued or pulled from the store are gone.
Thats not a backup, not as i see it.
It should backup everything, even the apps itself.
Home brew apps, projects are also gone and need to be installed manualy.

Android had always a app called Titanium Backup, well thats a backup.
You can choose to backup stuff in the cloud or on a sd-card.
And you can sellect the apps witch you want to backup.
Backing stuf up locally has the advantage that you dont need wifi/data to do a recovery

A backup should recover all apps and settings even when they are disappeared from the store.
Then its also a lot easyer to swap your Sd card when you insert a new one.
Now its a lot of work to swap a card, moving apps back on your phone swap the cards and move the apps back.
Besides that, not all apps cant be moved after installing.
If you have a shipload of apps you should be scared when ever your going to replace your sd-card.
In Android you can simple make a backup, but in WP...........no way.
I understand the reasons why MS made it so, but stil.

Yes MS has stil a long way to go when it comes to backups.

Jay papai

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Why r u blaming MS?? It is obvious with every new Version. Also ur contact/messages will get restored which is most important.. what else u need to backup.. SD card data will erase for sure with every OS update..

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
A total misunderstanding of the way WP backup works = User error....

I don't think so.
The user should never have any issues with automated backups.
The most ideal situation is that the process starts automatically and flawless after each os/firmware update without errors or interaction of its user.

The user don't need to know how things work. Backups must be simple and dummy proof.

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I always have problem backing up my phone when I want to restore it after resetting my phone. During the restoration, somewhen it just crashes. I'm sort of a lazy bum to reinstall all my apps but it does install automatically for some apps.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I always have problem backing up my phone when I want to restore it after resetting my phone. During the restoration, somewhen it just crashes. I'm sort of a lazy bum to reinstall all my apps but it does install automatically for some apps.
It installed all 160 of my apps after logging in to wifi including the data for all but one of the programs. That's weird.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your OP reads like you were thrashing around quite a bit...

For myself, I'm not sweating it. I'm on P4D GDR 1 and Lumia Black. Cyan will come when it does and I'm not putting myself through the contortions and heartache you described. Yeah, that impatience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa