I have 2 Lumia 620s on O2 in UK, only one will update to 8.1, why?

dailynail

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My son and I both have 620s bought as refurbs from O2, only difference is we are on slightly different sim only contracts. Mine updated to Cyan and then 8.1 a week or so back but my son's phone says it is up to date. Any clues anyone?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My son and I both have 620s bought as refurbs from O2, only difference is we are on slightly different sim only contracts. Mine updated to Cyan and then 8.1 a week or so back but my son's phone says it is up to date. Any clues anyone?

Maybe the other one isn't O2 branded? Go into settings and 'about phone', or extras+info - if it says CV then it's a country variant phone, which (stupidly) hasn't been released yet. Either that, or he's running the developer preview, for which updates to Cyan are currently blocked.

anon(5843918)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here my lumia 620 on O2 PAYG is not updating to cyan, even though it is available it says that phone is up to date.
However if I connect my phone to nokia software recovery tool, it says cyan is available and it can install, but the catch is that it wipes your phone then installs so I have yet to do it.

I don't use O2 in my 620 I use giffgaff instead, so that may be the reason why, but it hasn't stopped it updating in the past, so hmmm...

There is a similar thread here about O2 cyan updates, I can't yet post links (haven't posted 10 posts yet), but search for O2 - UK - Cyan and it will come up in wpcentral forums.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here my lumia 620 on O2 PAYG is not updating to cyan, even though it is available it says that phone is up to date.
However if I connect my phone to nokia software recovery tool, it says cyan is available and it can install, but the catch is that it wipes your phone then installs so I have yet to do it.

I don't use O2 in my 620 I use giffgaff instead, so that may be the reason why, but it hasn't stopped it updating in the past, so hmmm...

There is a similar thread here about O2 cyan updates, I can't yet post links (haven't posted 10 posts yet), but search for O2 - UK - Cyan and it will come up in wpcentral forums.

Currently installed SIM will have no effect as the update system goes off the phone's current ROM.

anon(5843918)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

Seems like I can't update because of Developer Preivew which I am running, didn't know that, thanks David P2

dailynail

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the other one isn't O2 branded? Go into settings and 'about phone', or extras+info - if it says CV then it's a country variant phone, which (stupidly) hasn't been released yet. Either that, or he's running the developer preview, for which updates to Cyan are currently blocked.

Thank you David! Just checked and mine says O2, his says CV GB which explains the problem. I wonder why though as both were bought from O2's own refurb store. He'll just have to wait!

Cheers.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the CV one was a handset someone had "recycled" to get money off a new one, or it was a warranty replacement and that turned out to be a CV one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss