Anyone else experiencing this major bug in WhatsApp

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

Is anyone else experiencing this really annoying WhatsApp bug?

I've set my data limit in Data Sense and now I've got to under 100MB WhatsApp is now unusable. When I open WhatsApp now I get the following screen and cannot do anything to get passed it without changing my Data Sense settings;

wp_ss_20140818_0001.jpg

But here's the kicker, Restrict background data usage is set to Off;

wp_ss_20140818_0002.jpg

I would have thought that with this setup, I would have been able to use WhatsApp normally. What's even more annoying is that despite these settings and despite me not being able to actually use WhatsApp, background notifications are still working. So I'll receive a message, receive a toast but then can't actually access it!

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't there a way to exclude apps from data sense? I'm not using it, so I can't really tell, but as far as I remember if you launch data sense and swipe over, you get to see a list of apps. If you tap on one of them, you can tick a checkbox that excludes the app from being throttled down or anything. Not sure if this will work for Whatsapp or not.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
You must have restricted background data when your data balance is low, Go to data sense settings and uncheck the option of restricted background data.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I never used Data Sense again because of this...
that's the way Data Sense try to save yourself from your data limit and afaik similar behavior is observable in other apps

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't there a way to exclude apps from data sense? I'm not using it, so I can't really tell, but as far as I remember if you launch data sense and swipe over, you get to see a list of apps. If you tap on one of them, you can tick a checkbox that excludes the app from being throttled down or anything. Not sure if this will work for Whatsapp or not.

No, that is battery saver.

Bruno Blanes

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Them it seems you'll have to reinstall WhatsApp app... See if it works! Before that, backup your conversations if you can get to the menu.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll have a go at an uninstall and reinstall to see if that works. Annoyingly, even at home connected to WiFi it still doesn't let me in!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Uninstall didn't work either. Annoying!

Sorry if I am being annoying but I have a few possible solutions.

First of all you should contact Whatsapp support and tell them what is going on. They usually take a day or two to reply so in the meantime, do the following:

Uninstall Whatsapp and turn the device off, remove your SIM card and boot the device up and try installing Whatsapp again with WiFi.

However if that doesn't work and the Whatsapp team doesn't have any suggestions you may need to hard reset your device, luckily you won't lose much because Microsoft has some pretty amazing services for you to back up your apps, data, messages, photos and contacts and restore them later.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I am being annoying but I have a few possible solutions.

First of all you should contact Whatsapp support and tell them what is going on. They usually take a day or two to reply so in the meantime, do the following:

Uninstall Whatsapp and turn the device off, remove your SIM card and boot the device up and try installing Whatsapp again with WiFi.

However if that doesn't work and the Whatsapp team doesn't have any suggestions you may need to hard reset your device, luckily you won't lose much because Microsoft has some pretty amazing services for you to back up your apps, data, messages, photos and contacts and restore them later.

Unfortunately app related data, be it settings, game progress or whatsoever is only backed up, if the game/app supports cloud saves. Otherwise it's gone for good and you'll have to start all over again. I know that 8.1 introduced support for cloud saving, but this feature has to be utilized from the app/game and won't work from the get go. Seriously, I like MS and pretty much all of their services and software, but when it comes to WP device backups, they just suck. iOS and Android are worlds ahead.

fjh11

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me last week when I had less than 20 MB left of my monthly data limit (even though background data restriction is off).

The only way I made it work was disabling Data Connection in "Cellular + SIM" settings when I had a Wi-Fi connection. So WhatsApp was useless when my phone was not connected to Wi-Fi (and I had to remenber turning cellular data on/off every time I entered or exited a place with a known Wi-Fi network).

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately app related data, be it settings, game progress or whatsoever is only backed up, if the game/app supports cloud saves. Otherwise it's gone for good and you'll have to start all over again. I know that 8.1 introduced support for cloud saving, but this feature has to be utilized from the app/game and won't work from the get go. Seriously, I like MS and pretty much all of their services and software, but when it comes to WP device backups, they just suck. iOS and Android are worlds ahead.

Haha I use Android, MS's backup and restore system wasn't half bad when I used to use it though maybe not as functional as Android.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you just need to either increase the limit or remove the limit entirely to get it working again. No need for rebooting or any of that stuff.

I may just increase the limit just cuz I like the live tile to show my usage. The tile doesn't seem to do anything if there is no limit set.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The bug (if u call it a bug) I'm facing after updating to 8.1, is that whatsapp images that have been saved now are shown in 'Other Pictures' under the Photos>Albums tab on the phone.. but in Windows Explorer, the images are saved in the same whatsapp folder (there is no Other Pictures folder).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Seems like restricting data doesn't work properly. Happens one time with me too. Just reset Data Sense configuration. There's no need for restart or even a soft reset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss