I am completely cheesed off with WP and Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get back in the WP world not 3 weeks ago. I'm excited about the Lumia 930, Cortana, folders, maybe new apps that are supported. Get my new device home and Cortana isn't on it... Hang about, haven't I got the latest software? Oh but I'm in the UK we don't have it... Ok, lets set up quiet hours... Bugger that's linked to Cortana.. So don't have the new assistant, I cant set quiet hours. Now we have update 1 ooooh here's more of what you MIGHT get. I am so pissed off and feel completely let down by MS this is some shoddy work, Hal arsed and embarrassing. I don't want to go back to IOS I have plenty of issues with that OS and it's lack of joined up thinking but damn the developers get the apps right over there. A case in point Spotify, is again the ugliest Hal baked buggy as hell app on WP if Microsoft isn't taking the OS seriously in the rest of the world (you know where it's bigger than in the states) why the hell would developers? For the record Spotify reckon they are going to be showing some love but hell,I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile there are loads of apps coming out for the Indian market (I know WPCentral keep telling me) but naff all for the worldwide market. This has to change or this fabulous infuriating OS will die on it's arse. Sorry for the rant but just my thoughts.... Oh and briefly whatsapp and all those apps that look god awful on 1080p screens, please sort it out

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How exactly do I get that? Please don't say developer preview or some kind of beta cause, you know that's not in the UK as such. That's not for the average Joe. Oh sand why bury quiet hours in Cortana? Dumb.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Cortana - it's there, you have to enable it.
Update 1 - I don't understand what you're saying at all. You can get it via developer preview. Doesn't make any sense.
Apps - Microsoft doesn't own Spotify or WhatsApp, or any of these 3rd party apps, so they can't force those to be better.

I suggest doing research into an OS before buying into it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
How exactly do I get that? Please don't say developer preview or some kind of beta cause, you know that's not in the UK as such. That's not for the average Joe. Oh sand why bury quiet hours in Cortana? Dumb.

It's in beta in the UK (just like it is in the US), so you should just have enable it.

Developer preview - I told my non-techie, still on Vista friend with a Windows Phone that 8.1 is out. He looked it up without me and enabled it saying "wow, that was super simple" so yes it is easy. You're only hurting yourself by not enrolling.

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Cortana - it's there, you have to enable it.
Update 1 - I don't understand what you're saying at all. You can get it via developer preview. Doesn't make any sense.
Apps - Microsoft doesn't own Spotify or WhatsApp, or any of these 3rd party apps, so they can't force those to be better.

I suggest doing research into an OS before buying into it.

Ok iI was there in the early days of the OS wp 7 I understand the OS oh so the campaign banging on about Cortana yet it's still in beta? You dint see what the problem is there? So I have to enter it? Where exactly do I do that? For the record my job is IT support of it's not obvious to me how can it be obvious to the average user?

I know those apps have nothing to do with MS that wasn't my point but MS can enforce some rules for scaling for example if Apple can manage it Microsoft can.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok iI was there in the early days of the OS wp 7 I understand the OS oh so the campaign banging on about Cortana yet it's still in beta? You dint see what the problem is there? So I have to enter it? Where exactly do I do that? For the record my job is IT support of it's not obvious to me how can it be obvious to the average user?

I know those apps have nothing to do with MS that wasn't my point but MS can enforce some rules for scaling for example if Apple can manage it Microsoft can.

Cortana is in beta in the US and the UK. Apple advertised Siri while it was in beta, so I imagine MS is just taking a page from their playbook.

To enable Cortana in the UK, you have two options:
  1. Set your phone up as a US phone and use the US beta.
  2. Install the Preview for Developers and then install the GDR1 Update preview to get the UK beta.
Or you can just wait for the GDR1 update to be released. I haven't seen any announcement about when to expect that.

I hope as a fellow IT professional (I've been programming for over 35 years) that you recognize that Microsoft has limited Windows Phone resources, in fact much more limited than Apple has iPhone resources. People on this site tend not to recognize or respect that fact, but it is nonetheless true.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Obviously the OP is not loving the WP experience.. Maybe a move to Android might be more up your street. It will probably suit your needs better...

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
You don't need developer preview to get cortana so no need to sign up. If you have 8.1 and cyan all you have to do is 3 simple steps

Change keyboard to usa English
Change language to usa English
Change region to usa

That's it...simple each of these 3 steps will do a restart.you cant change all 3 then restart the phone. You need to do it one at a time.

Also make sure the American changes is above the English. For instance on keyboard ?

English (united states)
English (united kingdom)

Otherwise it wont work and when you change to American language your phone will download the extra settings so let that happens.

Hope that helps

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, sounds like a return would be the best course of action at this point.
I've got Cortana enabled now. Again my point isn't that I hate the OS I actually think it's brilliant it's just some of the number headed decisions that have been made regarding it. I don't want to see this fail.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I blame the advertising (in the UK at least) apple does a great advertising job on tv. For instance it shows you how apps can be used to assist in every day life. But for Nokia Lumia... Just some dozy woman holding a phone chatting sh?t...that's it..doesn't show what it can do

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, sounds like a return would be the best course of action at this point.

Let me just say... WP can't afford to have returns, it will die a slow wiithering death if that happens across the board and we'll be left with a 2 choice market and frankly that isn't a good thing.

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I blame the advertising (in the UK at least) apple does a great advertising job on tv. For instance it shows you how apps can be used to assist in every day life. But for Nokia Lumia... Just some dozy woman holding a phone chatting sh?t...that's it..doesn't show what it can do

Yeah advertising over here is shocking, not the lack of it just the ad's themselves they would have more success with the webuyanycar ad agency!

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
1. you don't need to switch your region to us, there's a uk version of cortana
2. siri is STILL in beta, so why shouldn't cortana be? the whole personal assistant thing is a gimmick anyway
3. enrolling in the developer preview is ridiculously simple. you download it from the store and sign up with your microsoft account. no risks, no hassle. or you could just wait for cyan, if you don't already have it. it IS for the average customer, as you can see from the millions of users that have signed up to it.

there's a lot of problems with WP, but the ones you listed can be remedied very easily, and frankly are no fault of the os.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Let me just say... WP can't afford to have returns, it will die a slow wiithering death if that happens across the board and we'll be left with a 2 choice market and frankly that isn't a good thing.

If a product doesn't live up to its claims of course it should be returned, WP is no different. Especially when it seems the level of effort is not where it should be, just look at the sloth like 8.1 update rollout, its pathetic to watch. WP is a brilliantly designed but poorly executed and promoted OS, Microsoft really should be embarrassed at how poorly its doing, purely down to their incompetence.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Releasing Cortana in beta is not a bad decision.
This beta is unlike other betas on WP
This beta actually gets updated on user's demands. It does not stay stagnant.
It is a real "Beta" which is continuously being developed into a more powerful system...Get that correct

Status
Not open for further replies.