Idea for better start screen organization and improved pinning of apps.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Better pinning from app list

It is quite annoying to hold an app in the app list and then select pin, then your start screen scrolls to the bottom and you have to drag it up and wait for the screen to scroll with you.

The better way:

Tap and hold an app. The app list will then shoot away to the right and you will have the app under your finger floating above the start screen on the same height you left the start screen.
I know its like Android, but it is much better.

Automated start screen organization

Also, because most start screens from older people look ugly and have holes everywhere, MS needs to invent some kind of smart filling meganism.
The idea is that after a certain time, WP should have learned what apps you find most interesting. Then it should pop up a message, would you like me to organize the home screen for you? And then it puts the most used apps on top and it groups them a little according to category and makes tiles bigger for apps you access most or show useful information. Instead off a popup once in a while to optimize your home screen it could also be an active thing all the time, but that would mean that the apps their positions change all the time, and this is too confusing for many people. So I think a popop once every 2 months or so would be better. Or a button so you can press to automatically make the start screen for you according to you recent usage.

I think wp really needs this because it is too complicated for many people to make a good start screen. If I look at my mother and sister, they never change their start screen and it would look like **** if I didn't organize it. The start screen of a girlfriend of my mother looks so freakin ugly with holes everywhere it makes me puke.

Last edited:

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Better pinning from app list

It is quite annoying to hold an app in the app list and then select pin, then your start screen scrolls to the bottom and you have to drag it up and wait for the screen to scroll with you.

The better way:

Tap and hold an app. The app list will then shoot away to the right and you will have the app under your finger floating above the start screen on the same height you left the start screen.
I know its like Android, but it is much better.

Automated start screen organization

Also, because most start screens from older people look ugly and have holes everywhere, MS needs to invent some kind of smart filling meganism.
The idea is that after a certain time, WP should have learned what apps you find most interesting. Then it should pop up a message, would you like me to organize the home screen for you? And then it puts the most used apps on top and it groups them a little according to category and makes tiles bigger for apps you acces most or show useful information. Instead off a popup once in a while to optimize your home screen it could also be an active thing all the time, but that would mean that the apps their positions change all the time, and this is too confusing for many people. So I think a popop once every 2 months or so would be better. Or a button so you can press to automatically make the start screen for you according to you recent usage.

I think wp really needs this because it is too complicated for many people to make a good start screen. If I look at my mother and sister, they never change their start screen and it would look like **** if I didn't organize it. The start screen of a girlfriend of my mother looks so freakin ugly with holes everywhere it makes me puke.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Name for your illness is OCD. :D
But, ideas are actually very good! Although, I think MS has some other priorities right now. ;)

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've suggested something similar before myself. I'd like to see a tag cloud style for my tiles, where the most often used apps are large tiles and go down in size depending on usage. For example, my phone tile would be at the bottom and the smallest size, as would the messaging tile. But Facebook, Twitter and Messenger would be large and at the top.

It'd be great to have as an option as I'm sure there are also a few people who wouldn't want this.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I've suggested something similar before myself. I'd like to see a tag cloud style for my tiles, where the most often used apps are large tiles and go down in size depending on usage. For example, my phone tile would be at the bottom and the smallest size, as would the messaging tile. But Facebook, Twitter and Messenger would be large and at the top.

It'd be great to have as an option as I'm sure there are also a few people who wouldn't want this.

Yes it should be optional.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. An "auto arrange" (like Windows desktop) for the Start screen would be a great idea for those without any motivation. It should have options like "most used at top" and "random pattern" etc.
Also, a start screen background changer/randomizer to keep things fresh...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett