Miracast is no Apple Airplay :(

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was all excited today to get a Miracast device to use with my Lumia 1520. Initially everything seemed to go well. I started streaming music from Rhapsody on my phone to my home's sound system. That is until the screen auto timeout kicked in and locked the phone. At that point the Miracast connection dropped.

Ok, that's a disappointment but I figured I'd just unlock and everything would pick back up. Then it got worse I had to repair both devices with each other. That might not sound too bad but if you've ever experienced using Apple Airplay there is none of that nonsense about pairing and setup. It just works, plays when locked and can do just a clean audio connection with no fussing around.

I'm not really hating on Miracast either. It works great with Windows 8.1.

And no hating on Airplay rhetoric just because it's apple and a closed system. They at least know how to do streaming and screen mirroring without making it too much of a PITA to use.

Last edited:

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it is a problem with the Rhapsody app, because some apps don't allow your screen to close. Others keep running in the background when the phone is locked.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think my big complaint is I can't keep the audio stream going when locked. Then the second complaint is I have to put my Miracast receiver in pairing mode. It reminds me of Bluetooth.

An option to keep audio streaming when locked would be good.

The pairing issue might just be specific to the receiver but it would be great if there is an option to allow devices to auto connect to receivers without having to do anything but have it turned on. Anyone that hasn't used airplay probably doesn't understand how much better of an experience it makes.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a problem with the Rhapsody app, because some apps don't allow your screen to close. Others keep running in the background when the phone is locked.
Rhapsody will normally keep playing when locked. But if you are on Miracast it stops.

I've been trying to get Rhapsody to add a no screen lock feature for years. It's a 5 minute coding job!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss