Any chance reviving Lumia 1520? How to force hard reset, when phone does not respond?

Jarek Tabor1

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I had posted msg on other thread. I hope though there can be some more of ideas...
I made the same mistake and installed Developer Program update 14157. Effect - Lumia 1520 is dead. After reboot upon installation it had died. Black screen, unreactive keys. I cannot wake it up in any kind of way. It does not react on any keys push and release. Nokia Software Recovery Tool does not help, phone does not react.
Nokia customer service adviced only to charge phone via usb and trying keys push to wake up. Nada.
When I connect phone to desktop comp i have signal of USB device. But nothing happens.
All trials with Nokia Recovery tool ends with information that may phone is not supported ;)
That was my risk to use preview... Though - I was sure, I will be able to recover phone with NSRT! Not killing phone for good!
Have any of you any idea, how to at least wake it, so I could recover soft?..
Here are screens of USB devices. You may see info from NSRT.
Any advice how to force hard reset welcome...
USB devices.jpgNotSupported.jpg

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
For hard reset you can try to press all 3 keys on the side of the phone at the same time. If that doesn't work you can try to switch off the power of the phone (assuming you can). Then press and hold the volume down key and connect the charger. It should show an exclamation point on the screen. Then press volume up, volume down, power, and volume down in that exact order.

Jarek Tabor1

May 30, 2014
Visit site
If that doesn't work you can try to switch off the power of the phone (assuming you can).
Phone is dead, black screen, does not vibrate. Phone is off and doesn't power on.

Only signal of life is appearance of Quallcom driver in windows upon connection with cable. But no sign of boot. Nokia Software Recovery tool sees that and tells that phone is not supported. And I have no idea how to make it work?
I assume, software had installed completly faulty, making base operations not feasible.
As only chance probably I can see forced external boot and recovery to factory settings. I have no idea how though as Nokia's own software does not recognize Nokia phone...

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Phone is dead, black screen, does not vibrate. Phone is off and doesn't power on.

Only signal of life is appearance of Quallcom driver in windows upon connection with cable. But no sign of boot. Nokia Software Recovery tool sees that and tells that phone is not supported. And I have no idea how to make it work?
I assume, software had installed completly faulty, making base operations not feasible.
As only chance probably I can see forced external boot and recovery to factory settings. I have no idea how though as Nokia's own software does not recognize Nokia phone...

You can try Nokia Software Updater for Retail instead. I don't think there is an official download link for consumers but you can easily find it by searching the web.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well the exact same issue happened with my 720, just that it died while downgrading to 8.0. No key combination worked. Went to Nokia care, they said Mobo needs to be changed :\ Costed me a bomb!

Jarek Tabor1

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Tested. The same story as with NSRT. Lack of reaction....
If it is as Kunal says - MOBO, then it will cost half value of the phone...
I can only scream...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion