2g or wifi

ricardofnsc

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what is the connection that uses more battery, 2g or wifi.
I only use the internet to update the app lockmix, then the 2g enough for me, but I was wondering which spends more battery if it is 2g or wifi

thanks

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My guess is it probably depends on how much speed each gives you. My home Wi-Fi, for instance, has pretty slow speeds, so I would guess 2G might actually consume more battery (although I'm not sure how fast 2G speeds are as I've never done a speed test on that speed).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on the signal quality / strength on either, as if your phone is constantly searching for decent signal then you will notice a higher battery drain as opposed to when your phone has decent signal on Wi Fi or 2g.

Also Wi Fi will take a tad more than your average 2g radio and out of curiosity which phone are you currently using?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
it seems to make no difference on my wp, all that matters is how white the screen is lol, on my old symbians however, 2g or EDGE was on par if not better than wifi on battery consumption, like doing nothing at all, hours and hours of chatting and browsing and not even a bit of heat, battery life was awesome on my n97

ricardofnsc

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I only use the internet on your phone to update the lockmix application (for screen lock), the 2g is enough. I have to have an active connection, my doubt is on wifi or 2g due to battery consumption. my wifi router this to 2/3 meters away and have speed of 30 mb.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I only use the internet on your phone to update the lockmix application (for screen lock), the 2g is enough. I have to have an active connection, my doubt is on wifi or 2g due to battery consumption. my wifi router this to 2/3 meters away and have speed of 30 mb.

30mb is that your broadband speed or is that the speed your PC / laptop connects at?
As far as I am aware Windows Phone doesn't indicate the speed it connects in the Wi Fi app or via a toast notification, if you used a speedtest app on Wi Fi then that is testing your broadband internet speed or alternatively if you used an app like Wi FI live tile - I am not sure of the accuracy as it always displays 292Mbit for me when connecting under b, g, or n standards (set on the router itself).

Also to be honest, have them both on when at home and turn Wi Fi off when your out and about as the drain is going to barely negligible.

How long your battery lasts depends on the phone you have, your usage and signal quality / strength. No one can tell you specifically how long your phone will last, other than the battery saver / battery sense app in windows phone since most battery apps still update every 30 minutes (an wp 8.0 limitation, once wp 8.1 becomes widely used they maybe updated to take advantage of being able to update every minute - this addition in wp 8.1 enabled devs to start making clock apps).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte