PDF files not downloading...

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So i'm using wp8.1 preview for developers on a lumia 920....the issue is that when I go to a website and there's a pdf file it won't open...after i'm given the option of "Open" or "Save", regardless on which one I click on, I get a "Sorry, we can't download this file" notice. My wife has the same phone with the same os version and she doesn't have this problem...I checked some possible settings that were different on both phones and didn't find anything obvious that could be causing this. Could anyone help? Thanks.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
There is a setting that says "allow websites to store files on my phone". Do you have this enabled? Also, do you have the space to download the desired PDF?

Walter Hietanen

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I kind of solved this problem, at least i managed to open the file on my phone.

I've had this problem with some pdf's, where it just refused to download, saying something like "unable to download this file", while others would just open normally. Seems to be a bug/problem with just some windowa phones (I have lumia 925 win8.1 latest atm).

What I did was to first set the browser to use desktop site instead of mobile. Then I copied the url for the .pdf-file and closed all tabs but one. In that tab I pasted the url and hit update, so I got prompted with the "save" or "open" file dialog.

It didn't work the first time I pressed save, but the second time it downloaded the file.

This might be a separate issue, but it seems to always apply in my case of this problem:

Windows told me there's no app for this file, and asked me if I would like to search for one in the store. I answered yes, so it opened the store and no appropriate app was found (although I have Adobe Reader installed already).

I tried to find the downloaded file, but as you know that's quite impossible in Windows Phone since it comes with no proper file explorer. So I downloaded Metro File Manager for free from the store (third party, get to it MS).

I used the Metro FM to look around for the file. What I found was a rather odd looking file with the rather simplistic file name "pdf". It wouldn't open cause it had no program associated with it for obvious reasons, so I renamed it and added the suffix ".pdf".

As I squished my thumb against the name on the screen, voila, it opened with Adobe Reader and worked just like it should have from the start.

So long story short, the file name, along with the suffix, went missing somewhere on the way. Don't really know if this is correlated always, but it seems to always be the case for me atleast.

Hope this helped, please share if it did or didn't.

Al Stengart

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 640 with Win 8.1, update 2.

I'm having what sounds like the same problem. Can't download or open any files, be they pdf, word docs, or zip files. Anybody else having this problem or know a fix? I'm using the default IExplorer, and recall having the same problem with Opera Mini.

I have plenty of disc space and decent internet connection.

Thanks,
Al

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon