09-01-2014 08:29 AM
34 12
tools
    Fix the screen. A better phone will be available in 9 months. Cracked many a screen in my day. Dell steak 5 inch (2 times) HTC 8X, HTC mozart and Lumia 920. Only screen I didn't break was the Dell venue pro.
    08-31-2014 02:52 PM
    If you can and want to, then you can replace a cracked screen with a new screen. That's what i did when i cracked my Lumia 920, bought a new screen and replaced it. You need to watch done videos on YouTube to learn how to go abt it (one from LESSONS I'd the best IMO) .. It will cost you $100.!
    Sent from Nokia Lumia 920
    08-31-2014 03:08 PM
    Yea, fix it or by a cheap, lightly scratched phone on ebay to hold off the 9 months...

If your handy and can fix it, balance cost of replacement + cost of repair plus time=best value. I do know on ebay, if you snipe auctions you can get a really good deal.

Don't sign a new contract....something will be a lot better in 9 months..
    08-31-2014 03:52 PM
    I would fix the screen. If you are in the Bellevue, WA area I highly suggest igsmwirelesssolutions.com, they are on main st in Downtown Bellevue :)
    08-31-2014 04:18 PM
    If the LCD screen is good you should try and fix it (touch screen also called the digitizer) you can find many screen replacement videos on YouTube. I've had to fix my friends HTC radar twice in the past even if you don't find the exact video looking at other videos of similar model phone can give you a good idea. I say fixit cause it cheaper and hopefully Nokia will give us some better upgrade options soon.
    08-31-2014 04:30 PM
    I have fixed many screens myself. Its not that hard, as long as you buy the screen with the frame together. Without the frame, the job is ten times harder.

The overwhelming majority of phone parts online and on eBay are cheap knockoffs, and are not oem. So they don't fit right, don't feel good, don't look as good. I know because I learned this the hard way. And almost all repair shops use these super crappy cheap knockoff parts! You gotta buy genuine Nokia parts from a reputable dealer (like etradesupply) and your phone will feel and look just as good as factory.

For example, I bought a knockoff glass and digitizer for my 820, and it sucked. Looked bad because it lacked the clear lack polarization, felt bad because it lacked the oleophobic coating, worked poorly as the touch functions were super glitchy. I bought a knockoff digitizer frame for my 920 and even though my digitizer is genuine Nokia, it doesn't fit perfectly in the unibody because of the knockoff frame. Replacing with genuine oem Nokia fixed this instantly.

So YES, I say definitely replace your screen, as the 928 is an awesome pho e. But ONLY if you use genuine parts. Otherwise, sell your phone for parts on eBay, you might get $60.
    08-31-2014 09:14 PM
    Are the Nokia exclusive apps still exclusive to Lumia devices? I assumed Microsoft would open them up to all Windows Phone devices after the acquisition.

The one gripe I have with the Icon is the lack of Glance. We both used that all the time on our 928s. Figured the Dot Case with Cortana could compensate for that.
    Apps like Nokia camera or transfer my data are still exclusive.
    Last edited by NokianWP; 09-01-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    09-01-2014 12:46 AM
    Hi,

fixing the phone is the best solution in your case. I had a Lumia 520 with bad digitizer in it, so it didn't react sometimes. I bought a new screen on eBay for $7 and fixed the phone myself. It was done in 5 minutes!

If you never opened a phone before, you can watch YT tutorials.
    Link for new digitizer: New Verizon Nokia Lumia 928 Front Outer Screen Glass Lens Digitizer Cover Tools | eBay
    YT video tutorial:

Best regards,
    myst02
    09-01-2014 01:31 AM
    Looks like a pretty over all easy swap with a few tools.... If you can find the replacement screen for a good price, that would be the best bet
    09-01-2014 08:29 AM
34 12