Icon vs 1520 vs 930 for Virgin/Bell Canada

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Posted this in the wrong forum previously so sorry about that.

Currently using a near dead ATIV S caught in the reboot cycle, tried everything to fix it but to no avail. Bought a 928 but didn't like it that much (smaller screen etc) so I've decided to get a true upgrade. I'm open to the 1520, the Icon, the 930 and the HTC One (M8) for windows but I want to preferably get the phone that will work on LTE in Canada.

In terms of price I can get the Icon cheapest followed by the 1520, the 930 and the M8 being most expensive.

In terms of my preference it would be Icon=930>M8>1520

LTE working is not a deal breaker for me, but I need something that will get decent speeds along with MMS and all the other standard features. Any help would be appreciated.

raicas

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The 930 could be a good investment is one of the most powerful windows phone, good looking with a pureview camera. Meanwhile the 1520 is a good outsider with its screen size, according to some rumor windows phone may get multi windows feature on large screen. And finally the M8 could be a good choose for the audiophile with the boomsound system. So to summarize, 930 : for camera and the design. 1520 : for the future Os feature. M8 : audio quality and the pleasure pleasure to have a htc. My personal choice : 930>M8>1520

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply but I'm more interested in their respective network compatibility with my service provider (Virgin). I am pretty well versed in the technical advantages of each model. I am mostly wondering which, if any, will get true LTE with Virgin

jkamoh

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I believe its the 1520.3 version, RM-938 model, this has all North American LTE bands. B & H Photo in the U.S. has it listed for $489.95 in black/yellow and white. Its the cheapest price I've seen plus it has 32gb built in memory and wireless charging. I'm looking at the 930 myself, LTE is not a deal breaker. It does have LTE coverage on 2600mHZ for Rogers/Bell if there is coverage. Other than that, its HSPA/HSPA+ all the way.

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, really appreciate. The size of the 1520 is a bit of turnoff for me. I liked the 930 as well at which point the icon becomes an intriguing option but only if it will work with Canadian network. The 1520 does seem like the safest bet in terms of it working with LTE

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using 930 (tho on rogers/fido) and have no problems. It should work just as well on bell, would even get band 7 2600mhz LTE where available. The 930 is a fantastic phone I would totally recommend it. But just to be devils advocate, it's rumored that 730/830 will be announced at IFA next week, and we are overdue for some WP upgrades, so maybe something new will come to Canada?

Sent from my RM-1045_1044 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkamoh

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Icon will work, it is GSM unlocked. It does have compatible LTE bands for Canada but they are locked to Verizon. I would go for 930, no carrier added software and you get updates right away directly from MS.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The phone gets warm for some graphically intensive games and during wireless charging. But I haven't had any overheating problems.
Sent from my RM-1045_1044 using Tapatalk

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely leaning towards the 930 but don't want to give up on the Icon yet, considering it is essentially the same phone just 200 bucks cheaper. If I were to get the Icon, would I get HSPA/HSPA+ on Virgin? I can live without the LTE speeds, but I can't live with speeds comparable to my old 3G LG Optimus Quantum

dumgeek

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1520.3 (cyan) and I'm on Rogers. Lte works fine. The only down side to the 1520 is the screen bug and my front cam it's not working.

jkamoh

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes you will get those speeds, it's GSM unlocked, you'll just need a nano SIM and you're good to go. No unlocking required, you might need to configure settings to Virgin Mobile. I would get Icon also but for the Verizon branding and their slow push out for updates.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But overall you are impressed by it?

If you're asking if I'm impressed with the 930 then the answer would be YES. The build quality is superb and it checks all the boxes for things I want: wireless charging, a solid camera (I don't need a 41 MP powerhouse), high-end specs, and size is not too big. I would only caution against it if you are a heavy gamer due to the potential heat issues, but then again all flagship phones will heat up, it just goes with the territory of putting quad-cores into phones.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you're asking if I'm impressed with the 930 then the answer would be YES. The build quality is superb and it checks all the boxes for things I want: wireless charging, a solid camera (I don't need a 41 MP powerhouse), high-end specs, and size is not too big. I would only caution against it if you are a heavy gamer due to the potential heat issues, but then again all flagship phones will heat up, it just goes with the territory of putting quad-cores into phones.

Man, i seem to have the exact same needs as you for a phone. Ive currently got a 1020 (got it used) and while its good, i want a bigger screen in 1080p...id take that over the 41mp camera. I really really want a 930, with all the negative discussions on this forum it concerns me but everything it offers is ideal (except for wireless charging which i never use, i even got a charging case for the 1020 and never used it).

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Man, i seem to have the exact same needs as you for a phone. Ive currently got a 1020 (got it used) and while its good, i want a bigger screen in 1080p...id take that over the 41mp camera. I really really want a 930, with all the negative discussions on this forum it concerns me but everything it offers is ideal (except for wireless charging which i never use, i even got a charging case for the 1020 and never used it).

I'm surprised you are not using wireless charging, it's so convenient. It's one of those things that once you use it, you'll never want to go back to charging with wires!

jkamoh: No issues with purple tint, not in the way people have reported anyways. I have had one instance where some pics I took with the FF cam looked like it had a purple hue to it. But it wasn't the greatest of light conditions and I was wearing a purple shirt, so maybe that had something to do with it who knows :grin: Not big on selfies anyways.

nicolas_as

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Any over heating on yours? Seems like a common complaint with 930.

Dude I'm really disappointed with the 930, first I got one with bad calibration on the proximity sensor, returned it and now I got one that is overheating even while installing apps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos