Closing Apps

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that many of the apps would now not close when pressing the back button, they would close only by closing in the multi-tasking screen (press the x, or swipe down). Having download WP8.1 yesterday, the only app that this appears to affect is the calendar.

Why is it only the calendar that seems to do this?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I was under the impression that many of the apps would now not close when pressing the back button, they would close only by closing in the multi-tasking screen (press the x, or swipe down). Having download WP8.1 yesterday, the only app that this appears to affect is the calendar.

Why is it only the calendar that seems to do this?

Maybe apps haven't been optimized for Windows Phone 8.1 just yet. Maybe.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
In 8.1, an app's developer chooses whether the app will terminate or suspend in response to the <back> button.

So some do, some don't.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyway to STOP this from happening, and thus make it like it was before so that backing out of an app all the way with the back button actually closes the app? Luckily the only app that I use that seems to behave this way is Facebook Beta, and regardless of whether or not these apps stay open affects battery life or data usage, it's an annoying extra step that - at least for some apps like Facebook Beta - I'd prefer not to have to deal with.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, no question a bug.... This happens on a bunch of apps, by hitting the back button I can no longer count on a App being closed, so I need to hold the back arrow and close it manually.

Welcome to WP 8.1.1

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If you don't let the app run in the background, then back will close it.
Namely FB and Calender. I just long press the back key and swipe down for FB to be closed...

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Me too have the same thing.., but I thing it's not a bug. In the change log WP8.1 -the 🔙 button will suspend to hang instead of closing it., It might be reason for these apps to behave like this..,

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
But does closing the, presumably background component, of Calendar intefere with it syncing with outlook.com?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
But does closing the, presumably background component, of Calendar intefere with it syncing with outlook.com?

Yes. It will. I never use calender, so I have it disabled. Your use would be different. I only offered the solution as a workaround...

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
If you don't let the app run in the background, then back will close it.
Namely FB and Calender. I just long press the back key and swipe down for FB to be closed...

Not true. Whether Facebook, for example, is allowed to run in the background or not, you can't close it with just the <back> button - you either have to long-press the <back> button and use the [x], or open enough other apps (5, I think?) until it "falls off the stack" and closes itself.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yea, no question a bug.... This happens on a bunch of apps, by hitting the back button I can no longer count on a App being closed, so I need to hold the back arrow and close it manually.

Welcome to WP 8.1.1

It's not a bug - it *is* a confusing feature, though.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not true. Whether Facebook, for example, is allowed to run in the background or not, you can't close it with just the <back> button - you either have to long-press the <back> button and use the [x], or open enough other apps (5, I think?) until it "falls off the stack" and closes itself.
It IS true.... If you read my answer, it's basically what I said... FB and Calender are designed to 'suspend' on the back button. So NOT a bug. It's there by design....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion