Album art and the latest Xbox Music update

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
zune is dead. get over it already.
Their argument was why Xbox hasn't caught up to the quality in years. Not why they haven't brought it back. The reference is proof Microsoft can make a great music player and justified frustration towards the Xbox team in why the Xbox music app is still so behind. So stuff it.

asturides

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
After updating it was showing all my album art, but there are a few obscure artists showing background that are not theirs, so I deleted that artist and sync again hoping that they will show a black background instead, but now I have the same wrong background but without album art :/ this stupid app is so inconsistent, they should've just updated the Hub by adding scrubbing.

Edit: After a while they loaded again, don't know if it had to do something with connecting it to the WP app for Win8 and seeing those albums

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
"The most annoying thing is that it shows the art correctly in the albums list . . . "

Something that the new Xbox Music has failed to do for probably 15% of my library since it launched.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I would like to say on my 810 everything works fine . album art, lock screen , fast start up , just everything works. Im starting to think people complain just to complain. this update was another welcome update that I believe made xbox music better

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I would like to say on my 810 everything works fine . album art, lock screen , fast start up , just everything works. Im starting to think people complain just to complain. this update was another welcome update that I believe made xbox music better

I think a lot of people here have problems with album art because they fiddled with the meta tags and now they blame MS for their goof ups. All my MP3 are from Amazon and I've never had a problem with album art displaying on Xbox Music.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of people here have problems with album art because they fiddled with the meta tags and now they blame MS for their goof ups. All my MP3 are from Amazon and I've never had a problem with album art displaying on Xbox Music.
same here. i take the time to fix the album info in songs if they are incorrect. i guess people want to blame someone else besides themselves

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

stay outside of those countries where xbox music gets changed to Music, you will join the same queue of complains. So, better shut off the useless support to xbox/ms and understand problems/expectations of users.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I see so many complaints about what is a Secondary feature to the app.

It is a music player after all not an album art displayer. If that were the case they'd call it Xbox Album Art not Xbox Music.

I can understand having the album art is great for quickly finding what you want to listen to on a visual level. But otherwise it is a nice visual extra. It is in NO way essential to the music experience.

Do you all seriously stare at your phones screens when listening to music??
Let?s face it most of the time the thing is in your pocket and controlled from your headset (if you?re a bluetooth kinda person anyway). That's certainly what I do. I want to Listen to the music after all.

At the end of the day it is clear that at the moment the Xbox Music team are clearly focusing on perfecting the core experience (for the record it isn't album art) which is listening to the music you want to listen to without glitches and random crashes and slow downs.

For the record I am a massive audiophile who loves his music and has a studio grade sound system setup and wired to my computer. I have built a collection over years (since the birth of mp3's if anyone is curious) that I have gone to great efforts to ensure that the tag info is as accurate as possible.

Xbox music has displayed the wrong info or incorrectly changed album art etc. for me I will admit. But for comparison purposes Spotify almost butchered my collection (good thing I keep a backup of it all). Lessons were learned that day and it was never allowed near my collection again. Consider yourselves lucky at the end of the day

Let the team focus on the core experience (again that would be Music not Album Art) and making sure that the app is stable, fast and doesn't give audio glitches. Let's face it they have made leaps and bounds from what we had in 8.1. You'll find then that the rest falls into place very quickly after that. You should be glad that the team have found time to make the effort to try and fix the glitch in the first place.

If you still want to complain about it though I have an idea. If you think you can do better stop whining and go do so. You live in a remarkable age where you are free to do what you want. You aren't forced to use Xbox Music there are alternatives you can use or you can create your own app.

As an aside I have to wonder how many of you actually remember the days when mp3's didn't support having things like album art embedded in them??

</End Rant>
<Begin Flames>

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Album art and metadata worked fine with my collection, through Zune. Same.collection on Xbox Music is a disaster. So no. Nothing I did. And saying Album art and metadata is a "bonus" or "secondary feature? Is B.S.. The most simplistic players do it fine these days. Its now the norm and standard.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how one can seriously use the argument of what a music player use to be or use to have and completely ignoring what the norm is today from its competitors. That's just a recipe for accepting mediocrity, IMO.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how one can seriously use the argument of what a music player use to be or use to have and completely ignoring what the norm is today from its competitors. That's just a recipe for accepting mediocrity, IMO.
Exactly! Album art has been the standard forever now, you cant use it as a "bonus feature"- it isn't now. I also have a Zune, iPod touch and a Android phone in my house. Even after yesterday's update the music experience is pathetic compared to the rest. No album art issues, music pops up immediately and you don't have to reset the whole device to reindex your music. I just set up a Galaxy phone for my daughter, popped in her sdcard from her old Lumia 810, fired up Google music and all her music was immediately there with all album art-no way would that happen with Windows Phone right now. We would be waiting an hour to index her music before it would display. Album art is a basic function of any player, there is no excuse not to have it.

Oh, btw I purchased an album yesterday from Xbox music on my phone and the album art doesn't show up. It shows up fine on my daughters Galaxy phone. Are you saying even Microsoft doesn't tag their music correctly?

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you want to fix your music to display properly here is what I found that works.
  1. Only save metadata as ID3v2.3 UTF-16 format ONLY (no other format, or dual format of ID3v1 and ID3v2.x)
  2. Set your Album art to "Front Cover" only.
  3. Resize your album art to 200x200 pixels
  4. Reset your phone (to clear XBM database)
  5. Turn off "Show streaming music in my collection"
  6. Copy your music back to your phone

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If you want to fix your music to display properly here is what I found that works.
  1. Only save metadata as ID3v2.3 UTF-16 format ONLY (no other format, or dual format of ID3v1 and ID3v2.x)
  2. Set your Album art to "Front Cover" only.
  3. Resize your album art to 200x200 pixels
  4. Reset your phone (to clear XBM database)
  5. Turn off "Show streaming music in my collection"
  6. Copy your music back to your phone

Wow. That simple? I guess ill call in sick to work for the next three weeks so I can complete redo my library (that has worked with every device - including Zune - to date). Not giving you crap, but they have made a luxury a second job... And that is not why we got into this. The product was fine and they slowly have made it a chore to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb