Microsoft's Bad Marketing

MisterRhino

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So, i always get the feeling that some divisions of Microsoft despise Windows Phone, and i think its really bad for how other people view it. All Microsoft divisions should be actively supporting and marketing the Windows Phone operating system. For example, go onto the Xbox Music website. They advertise the Android and iOS stores on their page, but no link to the Windows / Windows Phone Store. The image they have even looks like a Windows Phone, they've just removed the buttons. Like, seriously guys!? (I've attached an image of what i'm talking about.) Let me know your thoughts. Skype also does similar things. The WP app really isn't that great.

Attachments

• XboxMusic Shame.png
    XboxMusic Shame.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 13

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The website probably does not mention the Windows Phone Store, since Xbox Music is a system app that is included in Windows Phone.

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Its not a system app anymore it is now a standalone app in 8.1 however it does come preinstalled, however they still need to advertise it on their website.

What if someone was looking into getting a new phone and checked on the site to see what phones were supported. This could well sway someone into purchasing a iPhone or Android simply because they were not aware that it was available on WP.

This is how it should look.

WPXBM.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its not a system app anymore it is now a standalone app in 8.1 however it does come preinstalled, however they still need to advertise it on their website.

What if someone was looking into getting a new phone and checked on the site to see what phones were supported. This could well sway someone into purchasing a iPhone or Android simply because they were not aware that it was available on WP.

This is how it should look.

View attachment 79002

That might be a good idea. However, I wonder how many people even bother with Xbox Music if they don't already have a Windows Phone. I only use Xbox Music, since it is preinstalled on Windows Phone. I prefer Amazon Music Player on desktop, since I buy all my music from Amazon. I didn't like iTunes, since it was awful on PCs in its early versions, so I opted for Amazon Music and have used it ever since its inception. I didn't know Xbox Music or Zune store even existed until I got a Windows Phone, since I don't own an Xbox and never even knew anyone who owned a Zune.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree on MS not being as active as they should be with Windows Phone. Its really a good product and Im more of an Apple guy also with a long history of Windows usage. Ive never been into smart phones but we have replaced our home phone with two Lumia 520's. So far we are loving it! Ive messed with Android and I couldnt stand it. iOS is great on an iPad and Im sure its good on the phones too but iPhones are WAY too expensive, IMO. With android being obnoxious and bloated and Apple being overpriced.... that left Windows Mobile.

They shuould be pimping Windows Mobile hard. Its a great thing they have here but hardy anyone knows it. Too bad. :cry:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft is a divided company, and some in that company do not care for Windows Phone and do what they can not to support it.

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That might be a good idea. However, I wonder how many people even bother with Xbox Music if they don't already have a Windows Phone. I only use Xbox Music, since it is preinstalled on Windows Phone. I prefer Amazon Music Player on desktop, since I buy all my music from Amazon. I didn't like iTunes, since it was awful on PCs in its early versions, so I opted for Amazon Music and have used it ever since its inception. I didn't know Xbox Music or Zune store even existed until I got a Windows Phone, since I don't own an Xbox and never even knew anyone who owned a Zune.

I don't know the stats but I would assume that there are many more Xbox music/ Zune users than there are WP users.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
So how's the television marketing over in the states? I live in England and we see WP commercials on the TV from time to time. One or two channels advertise it every couple of breaks. I also see increasing numbers of them out in the wild which is the best form of marketing!

I even went into a mobile phone store and they had a bunch of them on display. I think the store was 95% android, 4% WP and 1% apple.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
There is a commercial running frequently here showing Cortana doing things that Siri can't, ending with Siri saying "Now that's a smart phone!" I see it on several different prime-time shows I watch on what we Yanks call basic cable channels (there was one during the Doctor Who premiere on BBCA, for example). Haven't caught any others in a while, but this one's been hard to miss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos