08-30-2014 04:26 PM
110 1234 ...
tools
    What makes you so sure that Nokia will get "millions of customers"
    Because this is Samsung we're talking about.
    08-29-2014 07:56 PM
    As excited as some of you kids get over this stuff, I may outlive a few of you yet. I thought for a minute there that Boeing had started making Minuteman missiles again and was selling them to North Korea, based on the heat in here.

So Nokia found another customer for their Here product line, eh? I'm glad they'll be keeping a few more Finns employed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm overdue for my pre-bedtime nap...
    08-29-2014 08:36 PM
    On another note, Samsung disembarrassing google will be the fall of Samsung's successful mobile business. They are getting ******* arrogant and think they can take over with their **** tizen and touchwiz crap.
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    08-29-2014 08:47 PM
    Hum i think we are lost.........
    08-29-2014 08:47 PM
    The problem is Windows Phone essentially has no incentive to use it. I can't think of one real advantage to having a Windows Phone. Skype, Office, OneDrive, Smartglass and now HERE are all available for other platforms. To me this makes it more difficult to persuade people to switch to WP.
    08-29-2014 08:54 PM
    The problem is Windows Phone essentially has no incentive to use it. I can't think of one real advantage to having a Windows Phone. Skype, Office, OneDrive, Smartglass and now HERE are all available for other platforms. To me this makes it more difficult to persuade people to switch to WP.
    An interesting contention. So, what incentives are there for people to use iOS over Android? Or vice versa? Now, after making those lists (yeah, I know, no one really did, but humor me), you're saying that there's nothing to put on lists of reasons to use WP? I'm sorry, if that were true for me, I wouldn't be here. So, those of you who can't make such lists, what are you still doing here, eh?
    08-29-2014 09:08 PM
    Nokia's hardware and the way the Windows Phone OS looks is what got ME hooked. As long as Microsoft keeps Nokia's industrial design going into the future, there will be people who buy these phones.
    adkrish22290 likes this.
    08-29-2014 09:09 PM
    Well it seems many of us on WPCentral use Windows Phone because we like Windows Phone.

I didn't pick up a Samsung Focus in 2010 because I thought, "oh man, I dig that Live Account integration!" The only reason why I even had a Hotmail address at the time was because it was my iTunes login, otherwise, I was engrossed in the Google world.

I don't mean to say this the wrong way, but the only people who consciously use Microsoft's services (not out of habit) are Windows Phone users OR iOS/Android users who were Windows Phone users.

Although I am a little disappointed, I'm not completely bummed about Microsoft prioritizing iOS and Android development over Windows Phone. I like WP for what it is, i.e. a genuinely good OS that gives me the apps, services and features I need.

And yes, there's a trade-off. I traded in comfort and wide-range compatibility for WP's uniqueness and relative ease-of-use. When I sell people on WP, I tell them, "look, this is a good OS, it'll get you by, but you won't get anywhere near choice of apps or games you would on an iPhone or Android." With normal human beings, you'd be surprised how many would be willing to give WP a real shot.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-29-2014 09:12 PM
    Your sediment is,expressed in every cell phone carrier store, and electronics store. Windows Phone has a ton of incentives, but only to those who use them. The travesty is that those incentives aren't expressed enough, and thusly, if you don't know, you won't know. No one who sells WPs are really trying to, unless you're working at a Microsoft Store.
    rianext likes this.
    08-29-2014 09:22 PM
    really tired of these ****. Whats wrong with having more people experiencing superior services?
    08-29-2014 09:25 PM
    really tired of these ****. Whats wrong with having more people experiencing superior services?
    Can you expand on that a little? I'm not sure what you mean.
    08-29-2014 10:04 PM
    Just want to make it clear I have been with Windows Phone for 3 years now. WP was my first and still only smartphone OS. Initially wanted WP7 because of its interface with Xbox and I could still use my Zune software which already had my music collection all organized since I already had Zune media players.I considered the Zune software much easier to use and did not have the limitations iTunes had when it came to moving music on and off a device. I got upgraded to a Windows 8 phone and then Zune was eliminated. Smartglass came out which basically allowed the Xbox interface on other devices. So 2 major things that attracted me to me to WP no longer exist or are exclusive to WP. I do like the interface the best but while you may have to adjust to navigating around in another mobile OS you will not loose any major Microsoft services. You don't see imessage and facetime on Android or Windows Phone. Google apps wont be on WP. There has to be a line drawn to try to promote your product. The line is blurred because Microsoft wants to promote their desktop services too. I also think offering it to everyone is their backup plan if their mobile OS fails.
    Last edited by dby2011; 08-29-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    08-29-2014 10:09 PM
    Just want to make it clear I have been with Windows Phone for 3 years now. WP was my first and still only smartphone OS. Initially wanted WP7 because of its interface with Xbox and I could still use my Zune software which already had my music collection all organized since I already had Zune media players.I considered the Zune software much easier to use and did not have the limitations iTunes had when it came to moving music on and off a device. I got upgraded to a Windows 8 phone and then Zune was eliminated. Smartglass came out which basically allowed the Xbox interface on other devices. So 2 major things that attracted me to me to WP longer exist or are exclusive to WP. I do like the interface the best but while you may have to adjust to navigating around in another mobile OS you will not loose any major Microsoft services. You don't see imessage and facetime on Android or Windows Phone. Google apps wont be on WP. There has to be a line drawn to try to promote your product. The line is blurred because Microsoft wants to promote their desktop services too. I also think offering it to everyone is their backup plan if their mobile OS fails.
    Nice post, but what does it have to do with HERE Maps coming to Android?
    08-29-2014 10:20 PM
    You know how awesome Here maps are? I recently went to Canada where my cell service would be expensive. No problem, all I did was download the Canada map to my phone, turn off my cellular data and used my Windows Phone as a GPS the whole week-no need to have cell service. The best part is was all FREE. I told a few people how great that was trying to get them to consider Windows Phone. Once again now that isn't an exclusive service anymore. That's the point.
    08-29-2014 10:44 PM
    That's the million dollar question that plagues MSFT that Apple and Android don't deal with. MSFT was a software provider first, and with surface, and buying out Nokia, they immersed themselves into the hardware business. They are unique where services like Office and One Drive dominate on most devices regardless of ecosystem, so why would they nor continue to make those and other services available to everyone?? WP doesn't need to have market share like Apple or Android because their foundation wasn't based on the mobile community like the others. They need to draw the correlation between using their services on WP to consumers as an advantage which with services like Cortana, and driving home the concept of universal apps, I think they're heading in the right direction. Here is an awesome service, but it is better integrated with WP, and that needs to be the message.
    08-29-2014 11:17 PM
    What makes you so sure? Why do we (Windows Phone users) have to struggle with all this crap while others are really happy, Microsoft is not even supporting their own freakin OS... Look at how poorly they're doing, instead of making the Music+Videos hub better, they threw it out of the window and made a "new" totally unusable app, I don't understand why they do that to their customers... It just gets on my nerves! That's why I'm leaving Microsoft for good, look at how Apple treats their customers, I've never heard a negative thing from an Apple customer, and that's why I'm going to be one soon.
    "I've never heard a negative thing from an apple customer"

People return/sell off their iPhone's in my country(India) because it has-
    No SD slot
    No fm
    No file manager
    No Bluetooth ftp(since no file manager)
    No text prediction
    Small screen
    No NFC
    No glance/notification led
    Mediocre camera for the price
    No USB MTP
    No micro USB
    No removable battery, and short battery life as compared to other phones for the same price.

I don't understand what you are paying for in an iPhone. Even my Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, SD slot, micro USB,fm. Apple can't put a $1 fm chip in a 700$ phone? Ridiculous. No wonder they are declining YoY.
    iPhone market share is close to zero in India.
    adkrish22290 and Jas00555 like this.
    08-29-2014 11:47 PM
    MS did not buy HERE I know but why?
    Ballmer desperately wanted to buy the HERE group along with the devices division. Nokia simply refused to sell, at any price. According to some reports, this was a major obstacle that delayed the deal for months.

MS tried. They just didn't have a willing business partner.
    08-29-2014 11:57 PM
    Ballmer desperately wanted to buy the HERE group along with the devices division. Nokia simply refused to sell, at any price. According to some reports, this was a major obstacle that delayed the deal for months.

MS tried. They just didn't have a willing business partner.
    I heard differently.

Ballmer wanted all of Nokia. Nokia was on board to discuss it. It was the MS board that didn't want it. The delay was about renegotiating a deal that would only take part of Nokia.
    08-30-2014 12:10 AM
    I heard differently.

Ballmer wanted all of Nokia. Nokia was on board to discuss it. It was the MS board that didn't want it. The delay was about renegotiating a deal that would only take part of Nokia.
    Yeah, even I recall reading about that story here, and it was about Ballmer vs the Microsoft board, not about Microsoft vs Nokia.
    08-30-2014 12:20 AM
    It's only going available for Samsung's new OS Tiezen. 😈
    08-30-2014 12:25 AM
    So no more here and no more waze for WP! This isn't looking good
    08-30-2014 12:31 AM
    I am getting a different picture than this isolationist position I once had and the OP in this thread currently has. The thing I was missing while I was only focused on the success of WP is the services side of the house. MS is a service corporation and selling services to business is what they do. I suspect if MS had stepped into the new mobile market sooner and its smart phone market share was better than it is now, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion of what service MS is selling to what mobile business.

It doesn't seem to bother google that services it offers are on IOS or linux or the Windows desktop for that matter. It doesn't matter to Apple that MS Office is on the Mac and its tablets. But when there talk about MS Office showing up on android, we become a classroom of sobbing children at nap time. Me included. Maybe the WP smartphone world we created for ourselves isn't as absolute as we want to believe it is. Maybe understanding this better might help our focus. Or maybe just my own. Just a thought.
    tgp likes this.
    08-30-2014 12:49 AM
    It's only going available for Samsung's new OS Tiezen. ��
    WRONG!

Android fans rejoice: HERE for Samsung Galaxy smartphones - HERE Three Sixty

17oxykq.jpg
    08-30-2014 12:49 AM
    So no more here and no more waze for WP! This isn't looking good
    Where do you get that it says no more HERE for WP?
    08-30-2014 01:22 AM
    Where do you get that it says no more HERE for WP?
    He's imagining things.
    08-30-2014 01:29 AM
110 1234 ...