MS screwed up again, Android gets HERE with more features !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Crying like babies. Sorry for saying this but WTF people.
1) MS doesn't own HERE, it still belongs to Nokia.
2) its not going to be on all Android devices. Android has its own Google maps. It's just for Samsung Tizen devices (the OS Samsung developing itself) and smartwatches
3) Nokia is doing its business, it has absolutely nothing to do with WP. If any of you following (I'm sure no one) Nokias stock prices was $8.13 yesterday, and today after announcing this partnership it jumped to $8.37
http://s7.postimg.org/4xw3x0ivv/wp_ss_20140829_0002.png
It won't be only for tizen, it's coming to regular Android. One of the guys from HERE was posting in the comments section at Android Police, and someone told him they would simply get the APK and install it on their non Samsung phone. He replied by saying (Shh! :) he also pointed out that Nokia already has experience with Android because of Nokia X phones.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
As excited as some of you kids get over this stuff, I may outlive a few of you yet. I thought for a minute there that Boeing had started making Minuteman missiles again and was selling them to North Korea, based on the heat in here.

So Nokia found another customer for their Here product line, eh? I'm glad they'll be keeping a few more Finns employed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm overdue for my pre-bedtime nap...

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
On another note, Samsung disembarrassing google will be the fall of Samsung's successful mobile business. They are getting ******* arrogant and think they can take over with their **** tizen and touchwiz crap.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem is Windows Phone essentially has no incentive to use it. I can't think of one real advantage to having a Windows Phone. Skype, Office, OneDrive, Smartglass and now HERE are all available for other platforms. To me this makes it more difficult to persuade people to switch to WP.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The problem is Windows Phone essentially has no incentive to use it. I can't think of one real advantage to having a Windows Phone. Skype, Office, OneDrive, Smartglass and now HERE are all available for other platforms. To me this makes it more difficult to persuade people to switch to WP.

An interesting contention. So, what incentives are there for people to use iOS over Android? Or vice versa? Now, after making those lists (yeah, I know, no one really did, but humor me), you're saying that there's nothing to put on lists of reasons to use WP? I'm sorry, if that were true for me, I wouldn't be here. So, those of you who can't make such lists, what are you still doing here, eh?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Nokia's hardware and the way the Windows Phone OS looks is what got ME hooked. As long as Microsoft keeps Nokia's industrial design going into the future, there will be people who buy these phones.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Well it seems many of us on WPCentral use Windows Phone because we like Windows Phone.

I didn't pick up a Samsung Focus in 2010 because I thought, "oh man, I dig that Live Account integration!" The only reason why I even had a Hotmail address at the time was because it was my iTunes login, otherwise, I was engrossed in the Google world.

I don't mean to say this the wrong way, but the only people who consciously use Microsoft's services (not out of habit) are Windows Phone users OR iOS/Android users who were Windows Phone users.

Although I am a little disappointed, I'm not completely bummed about Microsoft prioritizing iOS and Android development over Windows Phone. I like WP for what it is, i.e. a genuinely good OS that gives me the apps, services and features I need.

And yes, there's a trade-off. I traded in comfort and wide-range compatibility for WP's uniqueness and relative ease-of-use. When I sell people on WP, I tell them, "look, this is a good OS, it'll get you by, but you won't get anywhere near choice of apps or games you would on an iPhone or Android." With normal human beings, you'd be surprised how many would be willing to give WP a real shot.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Your sediment is,expressed in every cell phone carrier store, and electronics store. Windows Phone has a ton of incentives, but only to those who use them. The travesty is that those incentives aren't expressed enough, and thusly, if you don't know, you won't know. No one who sells WPs are really trying to, unless you're working at a Microsoft Store.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Just want to make it clear I have been with Windows Phone for 3 years now. WP was my first and still only smartphone OS. Initially wanted WP7 because of its interface with Xbox and I could still use my Zune software which already had my music collection all organized since I already had Zune media players.I considered the Zune software much easier to use and did not have the limitations iTunes had when it came to moving music on and off a device. I got upgraded to a Windows 8 phone and then Zune was eliminated. Smartglass came out which basically allowed the Xbox interface on other devices. So 2 major things that attracted me to me to WP no longer exist or are exclusive to WP. I do like the interface the best but while you may have to adjust to navigating around in another mobile OS you will not loose any major Microsoft services. You don't see imessage and facetime on Android or Windows Phone. Google apps wont be on WP. There has to be a line drawn to try to promote your product. The line is blurred because Microsoft wants to promote their desktop services too. I also think offering it to everyone is their backup plan if their mobile OS fails.

Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Just want to make it clear I have been with Windows Phone for 3 years now. WP was my first and still only smartphone OS. Initially wanted WP7 because of its interface with Xbox and I could still use my Zune software which already had my music collection all organized since I already had Zune media players.I considered the Zune software much easier to use and did not have the limitations iTunes had when it came to moving music on and off a device. I got upgraded to a Windows 8 phone and then Zune was eliminated. Smartglass came out which basically allowed the Xbox interface on other devices. So 2 major things that attracted me to me to WP longer exist or are exclusive to WP. I do like the interface the best but while you may have to adjust to navigating around in another mobile OS you will not loose any major Microsoft services. You don't see imessage and facetime on Android or Windows Phone. Google apps wont be on WP. There has to be a line drawn to try to promote your product. The line is blurred because Microsoft wants to promote their desktop services too. I also think offering it to everyone is their backup plan if their mobile OS fails.

Nice post, but what does it have to do with HERE Maps coming to Android?

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You know how awesome Here maps are? I recently went to Canada where my cell service would be expensive. No problem, all I did was download the Canada map to my phone, turn off my cellular data and used my Windows Phone as a GPS the whole week-no need to have cell service. The best part is was all FREE. I told a few people how great that was trying to get them to consider Windows Phone. Once again now that isn't an exclusive service anymore. That's the point.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That's the million dollar question that plagues MSFT that Apple and Android don't deal with. MSFT was a software provider first, and with surface, and buying out Nokia, they immersed themselves into the hardware business. They are unique where services like Office and One Drive dominate on most devices regardless of ecosystem, so why would they nor continue to make those and other services available to everyone?? WP doesn't need to have market share like Apple or Android because their foundation wasn't based on the mobile community like the others. They need to draw the correlation between using their services on WP to consumers as an advantage which with services like Cortana, and driving home the concept of universal apps, I think they're heading in the right direction. Here is an awesome service, but it is better integrated with WP, and that needs to be the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa