MS screwed up again, Android gets HERE with more features !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What makes you so sure? Why do we (Windows Phone users) have to struggle with all this crap while others are really happy, Microsoft is not even supporting their own freakin OS... Look at how poorly they're doing, instead of making the Music+Videos hub better, they threw it out of the window and made a "new" totally unusable app, I don't understand why they do that to their customers... It just gets on my nerves! That's why I'm leaving Microsoft for good, look at how Apple treats their customers, I've never heard a negative thing from an Apple customer, and that's why I'm going to be one soon.
"I've never heard a negative thing from an apple customer"

People return/sell off their iPhone's in my country(India) because it has-
No SD slot
No fm
No file manager
No Bluetooth ftp(since no file manager)
No text prediction
Small screen
No NFC
No glance/notification led
Mediocre camera for the price
No USB MTP
No micro USB
No removable battery, and short battery life as compared to other phones for the same price.

I don't understand what you are paying for in an iPhone. Even my Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, SD slot, micro USB,fm. Apple can't put a $1 fm chip in a 700$ phone? Ridiculous. No wonder they are declining YoY.
iPhone market share is close to zero in India.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
MS did not buy HERE I know but why?

Ballmer desperately wanted to buy the HERE group along with the devices division. Nokia simply refused to sell, at any price. According to some reports, this was a major obstacle that delayed the deal for months.

MS tried. They just didn't have a willing business partner.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ballmer desperately wanted to buy the HERE group along with the devices division. Nokia simply refused to sell, at any price. According to some reports, this was a major obstacle that delayed the deal for months.

MS tried. They just didn't have a willing business partner.
I heard differently.

Ballmer wanted all of Nokia. Nokia was on board to discuss it. It was the MS board that didn't want it. The delay was about renegotiating a deal that would only take part of Nokia.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I heard differently.

Ballmer wanted all of Nokia. Nokia was on board to discuss it. It was the MS board that didn't want it. The delay was about renegotiating a deal that would only take part of Nokia.

Yeah, even I recall reading about that story here, and it was about Ballmer vs the Microsoft board, not about Microsoft vs Nokia.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am getting a different picture than this isolationist position I once had and the OP in this thread currently has. The thing I was missing while I was only focused on the success of WP is the services side of the house. MS is a service corporation and selling services to business is what they do. I suspect if MS had stepped into the new mobile market sooner and its smart phone market share was better than it is now, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion of what service MS is selling to what mobile business.

It doesn't seem to bother google that services it offers are on IOS or linux or the Windows desktop for that matter. It doesn't matter to Apple that MS Office is on the Mac and its tablets. But when there talk about MS Office showing up on android, we become a classroom of sobbing children at nap time. Me included. Maybe the WP smartphone world we created for ourselves isn't as absolute as we want to believe it is. Maybe understanding this better might help our focus. Or maybe just my own. Just a thought.

scaramanga89

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I kept a WP device as a second phone just for Here Maps, as my Symbian and N9 were no longer getting the new map. The WP interface is nice, but its also slow to open apps (Lumia 925), no Google services, no alternative browsers to sync with my Mac, no Sky Go, BT Sport, Banking apps etc. It's not useable for me as a daily driver. With the loss of Here Drive as an exclusive, I have absolutely no reason left to think about a Windows Phone ever again, especially now the Nokia name will no longer be on the hardware. At least that gave me a nostalgic buzz.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Its confirmed, the Android version of HERE will get more features then the WP version, like alternative routes.
Its also confirmed the HERE team is working hard on developing this android version.

We will NOT see any feature updates for the HERE Apps on WP, its dead.
The 10 yer contract is just about map data updates !

Just look at the comments:
Android fans rejoice: HERE for Samsung Galaxy smartphones - HERE Three Sixty
Many People asking about a version for all Android devices, the devs reply and tell them yes, it will happen.
Many People asking about feature updated for the WP version, the devs IGNORE those people and DONT ANSWER !!

Fact is, MS is working hard to kill WP, they already want to buy Cyanogen Inc !
Microsoft, Yahoo and other tech giants are reportedly looking to acquire Cyanogen Inc.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
All here maps has going for it on Windows Phone is downloadable maps.

Besides that it's inferior even to the 2010 Symbian version. Seriously, no rerouting? Here drive knows that the street in front of me is closed but still offers no alternative route.

Of course Nokia has the right to develop any application they want, but Microsoft alone is to blame that they don't pay Nokia a f*** load of money to develop their here services for Windows Phone further.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
All here maps has going for it on Windows Phone is downloadable maps.

Besides that it's inferior even to the 2010 Symbian version. Seriously, no rerouting? Here drive knows that the street in front of me is closed but still offers no alternative route.

Of course Nokia has the right to develop any application they want, but Microsoft alone is to blame that they don't pay Nokia a f*** load of money to develop their here services for Windows Phone further.

Android version will have alternative routes and a lot more !
The question is, why did you (we) buy a WP ?

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion google maps is better than here anyway.. So I hardly ever saw Here maps as a big selling point for Windows phone

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
"I've never heard a negative thing from an apple customer"

People return/sell off their iPhone's in my country(India) because it has-
No SD slot
No fm
No file manager
No Bluetooth ftp(since no file manager)
No text prediction
Small screen
No NFC
No glance/notification led
Mediocre camera for the price
No USB MTP
No micro USB
No removable battery, and short battery life as compared to other phones for the same price.

I don't understand what you are paying for in an iPhone. Even my Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, SD slot, micro USB,fm. Apple can't put a $1 fm chip in a 700$ phone? Ridiculous. No wonder they are declining YoY.
iPhone market share is close to zero in India.
I don't think you'll need any of these if you have an iPhone anyway... All the apps are available, developers don't suddenly stop supporting their apps, plus I feel that you're stereotyping a bit considering that you're only talking about your own country.
Yep and I truly never heard a negative thing from an Apple customer.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
They already confirmed it will be official released for all Android devices in the future.
At this point the App is most likely out of Beta and worlds ahead of the no longer developed WP version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte