MS screwed up again, Android gets HERE with more features !

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilrathi29

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Had android. Almost never used google maps because it offered no offline maps, even if later added that hybrid of -download an area for offline- I used my old nokia N900 with its old sygic maps for navigation.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Android fans rejoice: HERE for Samsung Galaxy smartphones - HERE Three Sixty

The HERE team is focusing on Android now, quickly introducing new features that the WP version will never get !

WTF? Every feature mentioned in this article is already in my Here apps on my Lumia 920. Moreover, the article specifically states the Android app is the result of a licensing agreement between Here (a Nokia subsidiary) and Samsung, for Galaxy devices only.

Exhale, wiggum15. The sky is not falling and Microsoft had no way of demanding that one of their suppliers (Here) not sell services to one of their competitors.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is complete garbage. What are you worried about? If they want an app that starts taking you to the destination you asked for two days ago instead of the one you just selected, then more power to them. Nothing like getting thirty minutes into a trip before you realize it I using a completely different destination than you selected. Or the fact it has no live traffic updates.or that it looks up regularly. No lane assist. Takes oddball long and time consuming routes often. You get the point.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
What makes you so sure? Why do we (Windows Phone users) have to struggle with all this crap while others are really happy, Microsoft is not even supporting their own freakin OS... Look at how poorly they're doing, instead of making the Music+Videos hub better, they threw it out of the window and made a "new" totally unusable app, I don't understand why they do that to their customers... It just gets on my nerves! That's why I'm leaving Microsoft for good, look at how Apple treats their customers, I've never heard a negative thing from an Apple customer, and that's why I'm going to be one soon.

It's because Apple spends time(almost an year) perfecting each and everything about the phone and because of this it is one of the best devices out there. Occasionally you will hear complaints from customers, however for the most part they won't be as huge as the complaints on Windows Phone.

"I've never heard a negative thing from an apple customer"

People return/sell off their iPhone's in my country(India) because it has-
No SD slot
No fm
No file manager
No Bluetooth ftp(since no file manager)
No text prediction
Small screen
No NFC
No glance/notification led
Mediocre camera for the price
No USB MTP
No micro USB
No removable battery, and short battery life as compared to other phones for the same price.

I don't understand what you are paying for in an iPhone. Even my Nokia dumb phone has a file manager, SD slot, micro USB,fm. Apple can't put a $1 fm chip in a 700$ phone? Ridiculous. No wonder they are declining YoY.
iPhone market share is close to zero in India.

First of all the market share isn't close to zero, the marketshare may not be as huge as Android, but Apple is working on improving on it:

http://articles.economictimes.india...1_jessica-kwee-india-sales-india-growth-story

Screen size is not a con of a device, people like the 4 inch screen, similarly how some people like the 6 inches of the 1520, but Apple is working on bigger displays this year.

The iPhone may not have the best notification system, but you can use the camera flash for the device to light up when you receive notifications, nonetheless Apple should improve on this.

Battery life, may not be the best, but it's by no means terrible either and the iPhone charges pretty fast due to the smaller battery.

Have you ever considered that SD cards, microUSB cables, FM Radio and a file manager isn't required by all people?

And lastly the camera is not mediocre, it's actually one of the best darn shooters out there, watch the review of the iPhone 5S by Marques Brownlee, The Verge, Pocketnow, TechnoBuffalo, Endadget, Techradar, and you'll see that all of them love the iPhone's camera.

Had android. Almost never used google maps because it offered no offline maps, even if later added that hybrid of -download an area for offline- I used my old nokia N900 with its old sygic maps for navigation.
Google Maps does support offline viewing but it can't plan routes, I've been using the Sygic app for Android and haven't regretted buying it, really awesome. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
We will NOT see any feature updates for the HERE Apps on WP, its dead.
The 10 year contract is just about map data updates !

You are being overly dramatic. Calm down.

The fact that we had multiple maps apps (ms maps, nokia maps, city lens, and nokia drive) wasn't exactly elegant. No app was perfect, they lacked consistency, nokia maps UI sucked, and nokia's maps apps were all slow to load and a tad jerky. MS' apps were always technically better but didn't always have the features or the best map/poi data.

This is the state we have now and it isn't pretty. MS needed to clean this mess up long ago, and now they actually can. I've been hoping for this for a long time. Now it can happen.

Of course, MS must set a substantial team to work on this, and it must happen now. If they don't, it would be another huge opportunity lost, but I say let's see how MS reacts before falling to pieces...

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
On another note, Samsung disembarrassing google will be the fall of Samsung's successful mobile business. They are getting ******* arrogant and think they can take over with their **** tizen and touchwiz crap.

I think Samsung believes that users are entrenched in Samsung....so no matter what product that put out they will always have people buying their products...and its partly true...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The question that is going through my mind is that, how would they limit it to Samsung devices? Can't someone just manually install the .apk?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Version for all Androids already confirmed by the HERE devs.
Feature updates for the WP app, the devs dont even talk about WP anymore !

WTF? Every feature mentioned in this article is already in my Here apps on my Lumia 920.

Oh great, then you have a special version of HERE because you are the only one who has alternative routes with the HERE App for WP...
And thats just the BETA, Android users will have HERE features your 920 will NEVER EVER get !

They dont added one single big feature in almost two years to the HERE app and you guys still h*o*p*e that MS will n*o*w start pushing new features for the HERE app on Wp...HA !

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Its confirmed, the Android version of HERE will get more features then the WP version, like alternative routes.
Its also confirmed the HERE team is working hard on developing this android version.

We will NOT see any feature updates for the HERE Apps on WP, its dead.
The 10 yer contract is just about map data updates !

Just look at the comments:
Android fans rejoice: HERE for Samsung Galaxy smartphones - HERE Three Sixty
Many People asking about a version for all Android devices, the devs reply and tell them yes, it will happen.
Many People asking about feature updated for the WP version, the devs IGNORE those people and DONT ANSWER !!

Fact is, MS is working hard to kill WP, they already want to buy Cyanogen Inc !
Microsoft, Yahoo and other tech giants are reportedly looking to acquire Cyanogen Inc.

****-meme_00370790.jpg

Go get a life dude.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Version for all Androids already confirmed by the HERE devs.
Feature updates for the WP app, the devs dont even talk about WP anymore !

Oh great, then you have a special version of HERE because you are the only one who has alternative routes with the HERE App for WP...
And thats just the BETA, Android users will have HERE features your 920 will NEVER EVER get !

They dont added one single big feature in almost two years to the HERE app and you guys still h*o*p*e that MS will n*o*w start pushing new features for the HERE app on Wp...HA !

I'm wondering what big features you are talking about. Maybe flight directions?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't get it, ore somebody hasnt done his homework.
Here applications has nothing to do with MS.
Its standing appart from the Windows eco system and the only thing they do is trying to expand.
Just like any other developersteam, like Whatsapp, Facebook etc etc.
I dont see it as a screwup and most certainly not from MS.

And yes if its going to be mainstream, i also would use it on my android tablet.
Why not?

Its just a app.
And if thats the only sellingpoint of WP devices for you than there is something horrible wrong.
Cause there where already good navi apps available in the google playstore.
I use Copilot, why?
They have a truck version., make that al perfect..... no?

Stil missing things, crusial things and no thats not the choise of a alternative route.
Stil missing height, weight and lenght.

Navigationsystems are just a backup, a tool to guide you arround.
But that doesnt mean that you must rely on it, a bit silly isnt it when it breaks down and you are lost.............
Good preperation, comon knowledge those are the keywords.
I have seen it al to often that trucks drove thereself stuck in a deadend....yea my navi took me there.....sure who drove the car??
I have drove for differand truckcompagnies across europe as a sidejob, and yes ofcource i use navigation, but i also have real maps and before i hit the pedal i make a small study of them.
I think for myself and never let take that process in the hands of a gimmick.

A formar employer once went grazy that i took a countryroad and not following the preset route of the TomTom.
He was really pissed, but i was aprox two hours sooner and on my way back before the socalled arrivaltime of the navi.
And now they all taking that route.

But that entire Here package has nothing to do with wp.
If you want to switch side just because of that, i say buy a dedicated Navi.

And why should you ore we trying to "convert" people for WP.
Thats the job of MS and the oems, they have people who even getting paid for that.
I dont have the feeling that i should convert people like a Jehova witness, that was not opt in in the users agreement.
If they want my advice then i ask wat they are looking for and wat they want.
And with that i give them a fare advice.
If people want to tincker and play with custom roms, i can hardly say take a Wp or a I-phone.
I think WP is better, better for MY use, but that doesnt mean that it is better for somebody else his use.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Here is complete garbage. What are you worried about? If they want an app that starts taking you to the destination you asked for two days ago instead of the one you just selected, then more power to them. Nothing like getting thirty minutes into a trip before you realize it I using a completely different destination than you selected. Or the fact it has no live traffic updates.or that it looks up regularly. No lane assist. Takes oddball long and time consuming routes often. You get the point.

Yeah Here is really not as good as many people claim here. Things I don't like:

- Weird routes
- No alternative routes
- No 'via' points, you can only go from A to B. How hard is it to add C and D so?
- Bad or no live traffic information
- You have to be very precise with the address, otherwise you end up at the wrong destination.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Android version will have alternative routes and a lot more !
The question is, why did you (we) buy a WP ?

I can tell you I didn't buy WP for the map service.... I bought a windows phone because it was different. I have no problem with the current HERE maps or drive. Like others have said this is not Microsoft's fault. Nokia still owns HERE. They can do what they want with it. You're making this a way bigger deal than it needs to be. If you are not happy with HERE try another map app or GPS app. There are others available on WP.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys this thread is spiralling downward into personal insults. This will be your only warning; keep this thread objective and based on the facts or we'll have no choice but to close it.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I can tell you I didn't buy WP for the map service.... I bought a windows phone because it was different. I have no problem with the current HERE maps or drive. Like others have said this is not Microsoft's fault. Nokia still owns HERE. They can do what they want with it. You're making this a way bigger deal than it needs to be. If you are not happy with HERE try another map app or GPS app. There are others available on WP.

1. It is MS fault because they missed to BUY the HERE part of Nokia !
2. The Android App will get more features then the WP app (like alternative routes)
3. The HERE team is now FOCUSING on Android and does not have any plans to add more features to the WP app
4. It IS a big deal

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
1. It is MS fault because they missed to BUY the HERE part of Nokia !
2. The Android App will get more features then the WP app (like alternative routes)
3. The HERE team is now FOCUSING on Android and does not have any plans to add more features to the WP app
4. It IS a big deal
Use bing maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss