12-13-2014 10:58 AM
93 1234
tools
    Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805
    09-01-2014 09:00 PM
    i hope they would bring a different color aside from black and white :(
    09-01-2014 09:35 PM
    Microsoft will finally bring some sanity to the extremely long Settings list on Windows Phone.

Apparently the next update, set to arrive over the next 2 months (and therefore likely coming to Developer Preview users sooner) will finally sort settings alphabetically, and will feature the same jump list as the usual start app menu.

Other new features said to be on the way include the addition of a mobile data toggle in the action centre and Cortana coming as Alpha to even more countries.

While making settings alphabetical would help somewhat, I would have liked even more if Settings could all be pinnable to the start screen just like apps, meaning for commonly used settings one would not have to dive into the long settings page at all. What do say guys?
    UPDATE- Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805
    ​What are your sources behind this info?
    09-01-2014 11:34 PM
    ​What are your sources behind this info?
    Wmpoweruser and pocketnow and most common The Bing.
    09-01-2014 11:38 PM
    Microsoft will finally bring some sanity to the extremely long Settings list on Windows Phone.

Apparently the next update, set to arrive over the next 2 months (and therefore likely coming to Developer Preview users sooner) will finally sort settings alphabetically, and will feature the same jump list as the usual start app menu.

Other new features said to be on the way include the addition of a mobile data toggle in the action centre and Cortana coming as Alpha to even more countries.

While making settings alphabetical would help somewhat, I would have liked even more if Settings could all be pinnable to the start screen just like apps, meaning for commonly used settings one would not have to dive into the long settings page at all. What do say guys?
    UPDATE- Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805
    If all this is true, then that's actually kind of fast considering the Joe Belfiore's AMA was just before the DP of 8.1, and he mentioned he wasn't sure what to do about the Settings page (though he did mention he knew it was a mess, just not sure how to fix it). As for the Mobile Data Toggle, that's going to make a lot of people happy who don't have unlimited data.

I'll admit though, the 2K resolution shouldn't come to phones *yet* as it uses a LOT of battery (have you seen how many threads are about battery hogging apps? Yeah... there's a lot), but the SD805 is sort of a given (as this'll be the time it's going to be released to the public on both Android and Windows Phone).

Hope everything pans out well, my 920's still going strong! ;D
    09-01-2014 11:43 PM
    Even Apple had better leaks than WP.
    09-02-2014 01:38 AM
    WP is sorely lacking in music playback. When can we get what both Adriod and iOS already have? That would be a start to increasing market share, rather than making the WP faithful settle for less.

[1] Digital audio output through microUSB - to enable use of an external DAC

[2] Bluetooth streaming of A2DP and aptX formats - for better quality audio over BT

[3] USB OTG - to enable connecting external storage devices
    09-02-2014 03:16 AM
    While I expect some OS improvements in GDR1 and GDR2, I'm more impatient to get the firmwares developed by Nokia/Microsoft associated to these OS updates.

The 1020 didn't get much love with Cyan, as there was nothing specific to photography bundled in the FW nor the OS (oh and living images is not categorised under photography but gadget in my book). When I asked Juha Alakarhu (head of Nokia Imaging), why 6 months long bug were still not fixed (RAW files are not geotagged, they contain a 2012 Copyright Nokia mention and camera will sometimes freeze, requiring a restart to release the camera), he told me that they hadn't been "allowed" to touch that part of the FW in Cyan.

Which is not surprising to me. The greatest additions to WP8.0 came with Amber and Black, so GDR2 and 3. First things first, Microsoft have pushed their great new 8.1, and when GDR tend to polishing and feature-additions (as compared with the big gap between 8.0 and 8.1), then I guess Nokia firmwares will bring more significant additions (I hope photography wise including the 1020) on the basis of a more stabilised OS.

Of course, I don't know anything and haven't seen the Debian Red firmware or whatever else, just my 2 cents.
    09-02-2014 03:21 AM
    Even Apple had better leaks than WP.
    "IPhone 6 and ios 8 leaks, holographic keyboard, water and nuclear bomb resistant, 20k display, battery that will outlive you, virtual reality mode and let's not forget the new patented iOxygen in the iPhone 6"
    Now let's remember that that is pretty much how 'leaks' from apple are, surrealism vs realism.
    09-02-2014 06:38 AM
    "IPhone 6 and ios 8 leaks, holographic keyboard, water and nuclear bomb resistant, 20k display, battery that will outlive you, virtual reality mode and let's not forget the new patented iOxygen in the iPhone 6"
    Now let's remember that that is pretty much how 'leaks' from apple are, surrealism vs realism.
    Hahah lol very funny
    09-02-2014 06:53 AM
    Anyone know what are the new alpha countries? Only english speaking communities? I think they should target Brazil, where Windows Phone is almost outrunning Apple on mobile devices.
    09-02-2014 09:25 AM
    Anyone know what are the new alpha countries? Only english speaking communities? I think they should target Brazil, where Windows Phone is almost outrunning Apple on mobile devices.
    Cortana is currently available in English speaking countries only. What happens after that no one knows. I image they'll try to add new languages later.
    Rick_Air likes this.
    09-02-2014 09:35 AM
    Cortana is currently available in English speaking countries only. What happens after that no one knows. I image they'll try to add new languages later.
    Pretty sure China isn't an English speaking country.
    msirapian likes this.
    09-02-2014 09:37 AM
    Pretty sure China isn't an English speaking country.
    Oh right China I forgot about them. Even though that's the only exception on the list. But they do speak English....
    09-02-2014 09:40 AM
    I'd rather see improved speed of the OS. Man, after looking how smooth is iOS I was like "lol at Android and WP" I know this doesn't count as a feature, but still. About the features, I still want to see more Window's like UI on the phone, BACKGROUND WALLPAPER, also Tiles of the apps matching the colors as on Windows, and the look of the app list just something like in WINDOWS. :)
    Ive been rocking a background wallpaper since 8.1 developer preview.........also, where is WP UI slow? Are you using a 520, and expecting 930/Icon performance.

That being said, I wish the settings page had tiles for the categories, and that we could take sub portions of categories and pin them to bring them to the foreground.
    09-02-2014 09:56 AM
    Vicky, I for one cannot wait until we can sort the menu such as the settings. It makes no sense that currently its all haphazard and no way other than scrolling to find stuff. What I would really LOVE to see though is direct actions in the notification panel, e.g. when I hit the WiFi button it toggles on/off (same with Bluetooth).
    While I'm making my wishlist, I would also love being able to route media to a different Bluetooth device! I hate that my calls and media both have to go to the same device. I want my music over my car audio but my calls over my Bluetooth ear piece. This has been available on other platforms for some time now and is truly a convenience.
    09-02-2014 12:42 PM
    This error is appearing cause of wrong update packege. If you want rid from this error, you must downgrade your device or visit nokia care centre to flash your device. This is the only way.
    No, this particular error is a result of the partition issue, the package error has been resolved if I recall correctly
    09-02-2014 02:00 PM
    A feature I would highly like is "Quick Action". (I basically invented the term). Its involves having the option to quickly reply to texts and facebook notifications, without exiting the app or game you are using. Its so frustrating to go to the message app and reply a simple "Yes" or "Lol" to a text, while playing Subway surfers! I know. Its something coming to IOS 8, and I think its already available in some Android, but then again, no harm in borrowing a universally liked concept. They could even implement it better, eg. But giving us an option to like or comment on fb status notifications from the banner. How about a swipe to the left for a "Quick Action"? The WA I visualize it, the swipe would expand the banner downwards, with the space having a text box and/or buttons based on the notifications. Hows the idea and implementation?
    These feature may arrive at the point of convergence
    09-02-2014 02:30 PM
    WP is sorely lacking in music playback. When can we get what both Adriod and iOS already have? That would be a start to increasing market share, rather than making the WP faithful settle for less.

[1] Digital audio output through microUSB - to enable use of an external DAC

[2] Bluetooth streaming of A2DP and aptX formats - for better quality audio over BT

[3] USB OTG - to enable connecting external storage devices
    In 8.1 GDR1 according to the Microsoft OEM page.
    09-02-2014 04:11 PM
    This is complete bull****, sorry. You obviously have not seen Debian Red. Also, do not conflate Update 1 (OS) with Debian Red (new firmware), they do different things.

What Debian Red brings to the table has not been revealed at all.
    hope debian red solves the overheating problem in the Lumia 930, which I assume is firmware's fault bit might be wrong.
    09-02-2014 04:47 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805
    personally I don't care quadHD display on phone, would like to see 1080p screen which is very efficient on battery. snapdragon 805 would be nice addition for those powerful nokia cameras
    another thing I would like to see is adaptation of usb 3.1c type in new phones
    09-02-2014 04:51 PM
    I think the Netherlands might be one of these alpha countries because they said it was coming soon.
    09-02-2014 05:17 PM
    I'm pretty sure you'll see slow motion camera video given the M8. This will be on supported newer Qualcomm devices. Perhaps higher resolution rapid shots too. Reviews have almost skipped over these features which are neat additions to the M8 but likely to come to new Lumias and existing with appropriate hardware. Could be totally wrong with this guess though, but why else would Joe B have slow mo in his ALS video...
    09-02-2014 07:05 PM
    Yes, i havent seen Debian red. but i was just saying to expect.
    apologies.
    And i guess that debian red will be the package of UPDATE 1.
    What you expect? You were saying what you expect? But you said "leaked". I didn't know you meant leaked from your imagination. Dude.
    Last edited by Jazmac; 09-02-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    09-02-2014 09:03 PM
    I hope they would allow one to force a network to one connection either 4G or 3G or Edge and not the other way round where u select 4G and ur phone stays on Edge network
    09-02-2014 09:14 PM
93 1234