Windows phone 8.1 GDR2 features leaked!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Another feature I want is quiet hours to be independent of cortana like android phones.i cant run cortana in the background with location service on.

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
One way they could help with the settings menu mess is to make settings searchable via Cortana. One of the best things Microsoft did with Windows 7 is to make Control Panel settings searchable from the Start Menu. Not just search by the name of the setting, but also by what that setting option contains.

Also, pinnable settings as mentioned previously would also be a good option.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I get the whole color thing but why have the name of a linux distribution as part of the name for your firmware? Seems quite odd to me.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I guess the only thing I need is more toggles /icons in action center. Like android has, swiping left and right. I need at least 5. Currently I have WIFI, Bluetooth, Screen brightness and Screen rotation. I need Internet sharing and preferably Data (using tile now)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
One way they could help with the settings menu mess is to make settings searchable via Cortana. One of the best things Microsoft did with Windows 7 is to make Control Panel settings searchable from the Start Menu. Not just search by the name of the setting, but also by what that setting option contains.

Also, pinnable settings as mentioned previously would also be a good option.
Settings are searchable with cortana and bing with 8.1 type wifi and see what happens ;)

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Debian Red is hardware specific firmware that augments the OS. It brings highly unique features to the Lumia line not found in the OS, and specific to the Microsoft/Nokia hardware.

It's also a huge change and much more than what is just Update 1.

Dan, Spill that Tea!! Tell us what you know about DebianRed!!

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but , why are you saying that they are going to announce the 4th ?

On sept. 4th, they are going to announce Lumia730/735 and Lumia830 which will come preinstalled with Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, so, we'll also find about the name of firmware packaging Update 1.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will finally bring some sanity to the extremely long Settings list on Windows Phone.

Apparently the next update, set to arrive over the next 2 months (and therefore likely coming to Developer Preview users sooner) will finally sort settings alphabetically, and will feature the same jump list as the usual start app menu.

Other new features said to be on the way include the addition of a mobile data toggle in the action centre and Cortana coming as Alpha to even more countries.

While making settings alphabetical would help somewhat, I would have liked even more if Settings could all be pinnable to the start screen just like apps, meaning for commonly used settings one would not have to dive into the long settings page at all. What do say guys?
UPDATE- Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805

​What are your sources behind this info?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will finally bring some sanity to the extremely long Settings list on Windows Phone.

Apparently the next update, set to arrive over the next 2 months (and therefore likely coming to Developer Preview users sooner) will finally sort settings alphabetically, and will feature the same jump list as the usual start app menu.

Other new features said to be on the way include the addition of a mobile data toggle in the action centre and Cortana coming as Alpha to even more countries.

While making settings alphabetical would help somewhat, I would have liked even more if Settings could all be pinnable to the start screen just like apps, meaning for commonly used settings one would not have to dive into the long settings page at all. What do say guys?
UPDATE- Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 is going to bring support to 2K resolution on smartphone displays, and therefore providing support to new processors like the Snapdragon 805

If all this is true, then that's actually kind of fast considering the Joe Belfiore's AMA was just before the DP of 8.1, and he mentioned he wasn't sure what to do about the Settings page (though he did mention he knew it was a mess, just not sure how to fix it). As for the Mobile Data Toggle, that's going to make a lot of people happy who don't have unlimited data.

I'll admit though, the 2K resolution shouldn't come to phones *yet* as it uses a LOT of battery (have you seen how many threads are about battery hogging apps? Yeah... there's a lot), but the SD805 is sort of a given (as this'll be the time it's going to be released to the public on both Android and Windows Phone).

Hope everything pans out well, my 920's still going strong! ;D

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
WP is sorely lacking in music playback. When can we get what both Adriod and iOS already have? That would be a start to increasing market share, rather than making the WP faithful settle for less.

[1] Digital audio output through microUSB - to enable use of an external DAC

[2] Bluetooth streaming of A2DP and aptX formats - for better quality audio over BT

[3] USB OTG - to enable connecting external storage devices

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
While I expect some OS improvements in GDR1 and GDR2, I'm more impatient to get the firmwares developed by Nokia/Microsoft associated to these OS updates.

The 1020 didn't get much love with Cyan, as there was nothing specific to photography bundled in the FW nor the OS (oh and living images is not categorised under photography but gadget in my book). When I asked Juha Alakarhu (head of Nokia Imaging), why 6 months long bug were still not fixed (RAW files are not geotagged, they contain a 2012 Copyright Nokia mention and camera will sometimes freeze, requiring a restart to release the camera), he told me that they hadn't been "allowed" to touch that part of the FW in Cyan.

Which is not surprising to me. The greatest additions to WP8.0 came with Amber and Black, so GDR2 and 3. First things first, Microsoft have pushed their great new 8.1, and when GDR tend to polishing and feature-additions (as compared with the big gap between 8.0 and 8.1), then I guess Nokia firmwares will bring more significant additions (I hope photography wise including the 1020) on the basis of a more stabilised OS.

Of course, I don't know anything and haven't seen the Debian Red firmware or whatever else, just my 2 cents.

50ShadesOfDJWS

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Even Apple had better leaks than WP.

"IPhone 6 and ios 8 leaks, holographic keyboard, water and nuclear bomb resistant, 20k display, battery that will outlive you, virtual reality mode and let's not forget the new patented iOxygen in the iPhone 6"
Now let's remember that that is pretty much how 'leaks' from apple are, surrealism vs realism.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
"IPhone 6 and ios 8 leaks, holographic keyboard, water and nuclear bomb resistant, 20k display, battery that will outlive you, virtual reality mode and let's not forget the new patented iOxygen in the iPhone 6"
Now let's remember that that is pretty much how 'leaks' from apple are, surrealism vs realism.

Hahah lol very funny

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077